Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wellington Parking - They are about to clamp down on bike parking

Bike
    Honda VT250
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    So where do you park your bike during the day Jon? Just out of curiosity?
    I drive now because of my role, but when I used to ride I always parked my bike off-road - at home, outside (university campus) or inside a building (at work).

Bike
    06 CBR600RR

Here we go again...

http://www.wellington.govt.nz/news/d...em.php?id=3614

Campaign Against Illegal Motorcycle Parking

Free parking for motorcycles and scooters hasn't stopped riders from illegally parking on inner-city footpaths and roads and we're about to get tough on offenders. Over the past year we have provided extra on-road parking spaces for about 100 motorcycles and scooters in the inner city, bringing the number of motorcycle parking spaces in the central city to about 450.

Despite this, many riders continue to illegally park their bikes and scooters on the footpath all day, causing a hazard for pedestrians. Others park their bikes in the manoeuvring spaces at the ends of parallel parks, preventing cars from being able to safely get in or out.

We get lots of complaints from the public about illegally parked bikes and we're about to embark on a campaign to let riders know they will be ticketed if they continue to park illegally. The campaign will involve tying 'message straps' to motorcycles parked illegally in the central business district, reminding riders that they should find a correct park just like any other vehicle user. This will be followed up by an enforcement campaign. Tickets could range from $60 to $200 depending on the type of offence.

The Council's Infrastructure Performance Manager, Jon Visser, says the number of motorcycles and scooters being parked on the footpath has escalated since the rise in petrol prices because more people are using them to get to work. "We estimate the number of motorcycle commuters has increased from about 500 to 1000 a day since 2006. People commuting to work on motorcycles should be parking in public or private parking buildings so that other motorcycle users who need to come and go during the day have more space available to park on the road."

Jon says the worst area is on Grey Street between Lambton Quay and Featherston Street. "There are so many bikes parked on the footpath that people with prams or wheelchairs can't get past and need to go on to the road to get around the bikes."

He says some riders may not realise the problems they are causing because they park their motorcycles on the footpath in the morning and leave in the evening when the footpath probably isn't as busy. "If they realised the danger to pedestrians, and to their bikes, with people tripping over them they might change their habits. With the weather improving, it's vital that we get the bikes off the footpaths so that road renewal works, increased pedestrian numbers and the many activities that typically occur over summer can take place safely."

Jon says the Council's Footpath Management Policy makes it clear that footpaths are for pedestrians. Motorcycle users are expected to park correctly and complete their journeys on foot like everybody else.

Motorcycle and scooter parks are marked with signposts and are located all over the central business district, including Featherston Street, The Terrace, Lambton Quay, and Willeston, Victoria, Wakefield, Willis and Dixon streets. Motorcycles can also be parked in many public and private parking buildings. For a detailed map of available parks check out our website.
    We do not live to eat and make money. We eat and make money to be able to enjoy life. George Leigh Mallory, 1922

Bike
    Honda VT250
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    But you have previously said that none of the motorcycles coming into town are replacing cars ; and that WCC policy is that there will not be parking available for 80000 motorcycles (or even 1000 come to that)

The only interpretation I can put on that is that Council considers that increased numbers of motorcyclists is a BadThing because "they will hurt themselves" , so Council should force them onto public transport instead. Patronising nanny state or what?
    Please read my earlier posts carefully. I said that the motorcycle commuters are replacing car drivers that used to use _off-road_ parking. The Council is not concerned about the increase in motorcycle numbers, but the number of accidents that they are having, as well as the other associated adverse impacts they are having on those they share the public road with (e.g. by parking on footpaths). Our intent is to ensure that those who choose to ride do so safely and appropriately.

Bike
    Goose
    Quote Originally Posted by Trudes View Post
    Lets have a Citizen's Initiated Referendum:
    "Should Politicians and Government Department Ministers be forced to use public transport for one month so they can sympathise with the plebs?"
    That'd make an awesome TUI advert!
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    FZR 400
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Ixion, it certainly does feel like WCC is getting desperate for ways to force people into a public transport network that isn't fit for purpose.
    definatly sounds that way to me

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Visser View Post
    I think a much more important message to take from what I have written is that the Council would rather see a reduction in the number of motorcycle riders getting hurt or hurting/affecting others.
    when did it become the wcc charter to be add to the safty nazis, any thoughts on banning busses due to the number of accidents they've been involved in? we pay shit loads in acc fees because we choose to ride, public transport is a joke, and the invironmental benifits are debatable, (ever follwed a diesel bus? choking away on the noxious fumes?) and most places in the world would laugh at having so many overhead wires criss-crossing a city
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Some Kiwibiker threads contain such a wealth of fuckwittery that they should in some way be permanently removed from the digital domain, carved onto stone tablets and then launched into space to scare the living shit out of any hostile alien species that may be lurking nearby

Bike
    Goose
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxi View Post
    when did it become the wcc charter to be add to the safty nazis, any thoughts on banning busses due to the number of accidents they've been involved in? we pay shit loads in acc fees because we choose to ride, public transport is a joke, and the invironmental benifits are debatable, (ever follwed a diesel bus? choking away on the noxious fumes?) and most places in the world would laugh at having so many overhead wires criss-crossing a city
    Its quite obvious really.... Ban the pedestrians, they're obviously the ones causing the accidents by not looking where they are walking. Must be cage drivers...

Bike
    '07 Suzuki SV1000/S
    Just think, if the Labour government hadn't of spent 100 million dollars building the new "Gucci Prison Bars" Supreme Court, which I must say is one of the most out of place and asshole ugly buildings in NZs history, we perhaps could of had a couple of extra parking spaces for motorcycles around town.

I know how about the new IRD building is forced to create a few new motorcycle parks as part of the gigantic parking lot it has under it?

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Please read my earlier posts carefully. I said that the motorcycle commuters are replacing car drivers that used to use _off-road_ parking.
    Yes. You did. I was in error . But the end result is the same - 500 fewer cars which means in effect 500 MORE car parks for cars, and proportionately less for bikes

The Council is not concerned about the increase in motorcycle numbers, but the number of accidents that they are having, as well as the other associated adverse impacts they are having on those they share the public road with (e.g. by parking on footpaths). Our intent is to ensure that those who choose to ride do so safely and appropriately.
    That sounds rather sinister. I am sure that your present audience would be interested in exactly HOW you propose to ensure that.

And also in what statistics you have to back up your concerns about the accident rate? (BTW , does WCC have a mandate for this - they are not the Police , nor even the MoT. The days of City Councils running their own traffic cops are long gone)
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    FZR 400
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8 Jacket View Post
    Its quite obvious really.... Ban the pedestrians, they're obviously the ones causing the accidents by not looking where they are walking. Must be cage drivers...
    :slap:
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Some Kiwibiker threads contain such a wealth of fuckwittery that they should in some way be permanently removed from the digital domain, carved onto stone tablets and then launched into space to scare the living shit out of any hostile alien species that may be lurking nearby

Bike
    SV1000s
    Blog Entries
    I drive now because of my role, but when I used to ride I always parked my bike off-road - at home, outside (university campus) or inside a building (at work).
    If we had that luxury you can be assured we'd all do the same.

From what I've read of your comments here, Jon. this has as much to do with the social engineering of commuters onto public transport as it does with the saftey of footpath users. Despite acknowledging that there is a problem with lack of parking around Grey st, rather than address the shortage of spaces for bikes and scooters (in the problem area) the only action it seems the council are prepared to take is "chase 'em off the road".

While you make interesting points about bikes parked on footpaths, in my opinion more that 90% of the bikes I've seen parked on the footpath really are well out of the way of pedestrian traffic. as for the visually impared and maintenace contractor argument you used. Melbourne seems to be able to cope with bikes on the footpath, why can't we?

Personally I park in those little gaps at the end of a line of car-parks. I've seen up to four bikes in the space I use and while I personally would never attempt to occupy the fouth position closest to the car-park for risk of damage to my bike, its a risk I would be happy to let other's take. But not the council it would seem; according to the council website parking here uses "manouvering" space left for the exclusive use of the vehicle fortunate enough to occupy the last space in the line (all the other parkers have to make do with the space alotted). Come on now, does the council really think it better to inconvenience four bike riders by prohibiting them from parking there in order to ensure the lucky car owner doesn't need to make a little more effort entering or vacating that space?

Thanks for fronting up to put a face to this latest campaign. Its unfortunate I didn't see any requests for input when this latest policy was being formed. Out of interest is this action being driven by our elected representatives or was it initiated by the council's "Mandarins"?
    "There must be a one-to-one correspondence between left and right parentheses, with each left parenthesis to the left of its corresponding right parenthesis."

Bike
    DL650
    Then they bloody need to make more~!
    Go on, click on the pic for larger version!

Bike
    Goose
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    If we had that luxury you can be assured we'd all do the same.

From what I've read of your comments here, Jon. this has as much to do with the social engineering of commuters onto public transport as it does with the saftey of footpath users. Despite acknowledging that there is a problem with lack of parking around Grey st, rather than address the shortage of spaces for bikes and scooters (in the problem area) the only action it seems the council are prepared to take is "chase 'em off the road".
    While I have the luxury of parking in the basement at work I agree with you regarding this comment. It costs me $108 a month to take the train, about the same for a monthly pass on the bus. It costs me less than $40 a month to commute on the FXR. The train in unreliable, packed and inconvenient. Someone needs to wise up and get real. With the cost of using public transport and crap level of service provided why whould you want to use it? Let's face no one really wants to go to work, why make it harder!

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Seems there are two items that WCC wishes to address

1) Onstreet parking inc Footpaths
    2) Motorcycle Safety

why can't we?
    To the best of my knowledge, parking of footpaths has always been a no-no (somewhere in the land transport act?), and WCC has chosen to play nice and use its discretion. In Auckland we are not so lucky & when the decision was made to enforce, fines were the first thing handed out.

Bike
    SV1000s
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    Seems there are two items that WCC wishes to address

1) Onstreet parking inc Footpaths
    2) Motorcycle Safety

To the best of my knowledge, parking of footpaths has always been a no-no (somewhere in the land transport act?), and WCC has chosen to play nice and use its discretion. In Auckland we are not so lucky & when the decision was made to enforce, fines were the first thing handed out.
    I understand that it is an offense. My point is that it dosn't need to be, there are cities that seem to be able to cope, all it takes is the political will. It seems the only will our politicians currently wish to act on is to make motorcycle commuting less desirable.
    "There must be a one-to-one correspondence between left and right parentheses, with each left parenthesis to the left of its corresponding right parenthesis."

Bike
    Scorpio
    I understand that [parking bikes on footpaths] is an offense. My point is that it dosn't need to be, there are cities that seem to be able to cope, all it takes is the political will...
    It seems to work well in Melbourne, but they have much wider footpaths than Wellington.

Thread Information