Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crap article

Bike
    So old you won't care

Crap article

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...ord-celebrated

Oh I'm sure BD will be along in a moment to tell me what a grumpy old Hinkley hater I am. I'm not - quite the opposite I LOVE Triumphs and their history but this got my goat...

FFS - to start with the picture is a shocker.... Its great you want to act all James Dean and moody like if you can pull it off (I sure cant) but this looks silly. More like Mr Bean channeling the Fonz... They should have got BD to take the snaps.

Then a picture of Burt Munros Indian on the tank of a Triumph Bonneville? WTF??? Why for goodness sake? I'm pretty sure Burt didnt like Triumphs very much although he did ride one and I think was a salesman at one point...

But my big gripe is that its getting the legends all muddled. Triumph's own Bonneville story is just as interesting as Burts and stands alone as a great story. A picture of the Texas Cigar with Jack Wilson (engine builder), Stormy Maughin (owner and chassis guy) and Johnny Allen (rider) would be far more interesting. Jack Wilson built winning Triumphs for 50 years and was every bit the character Burt was... It seems a damn shame....

End of the day the mans an accomplished rider and has a nice bike so credit where its due and I'm probably being picky. It just gauls me when this kind of wierdness happens....

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    YEEHAA.....Fuck the ANTI smoking lobby.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Meh - typical small town article. Nothing special. Not worth slamming, just not worth reading.

"Man rides motorbike to celebrate another man whom broke world record on motorbike" would be better heading is all.

Burts a Legend.
    Bonnie's are legend.

The rest is just filler or bog if your prefer.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    Ya being picky!!
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    The top comment on the page of the article gives me the fucken shits. Other than that, I'm not moved in any direction by the article.

Bike
    Tiger 1050/ Racing Sidecar/KX450F
    What they fail to mention in the article is that he done the trip as part of a Triumph NZ competition in which they got all of (at least a great number of) their dealers to customize a late model Bonnie and ride it to Wellington to be judged, Moto south (the bike in the article) was the winning bike.
    No Bull Sheds F1 Sidecar Team - Proudly supported by:

No Bull Sheds - Putoline Oils - Shoei Helmets - Raecin Motorsport - Mad Graphics

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Dave View Post
    What they fail to mention in the article is that he done the trip as part of a Triumph NZ competition in which they got all of (at least a great number of) their dealers to customize a late model Bonnie and ride it to Wellington to be judged, Moto south (the bike in the article) was the winning bike.
    That makes it better and worse....

Nice that they are doing custom Bonnies and while is a bit same same HD. A new Bonnie is about as burt munro as my aunties morris minor with the air cleaner removed...

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    morris minor with the air cleaner removed...
    Pointless without shaving 40 thou off the dipstick.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Pointless without shaving 40 thou off the dipstick.
    Hey - I'm short enough as it is thanks.....

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    I'm with Dangerdave, needed context explained better, has nothing to do with Burt Munro and Triumphs in same sentence, other than that nothing wrong. Mr Bayne even modestly defends Munro with the stupid reporters comment first paragraph, obviously the reporter knows FA about reality motorcycling likely the target audience DP readers the same.

Go buy a bike mag to read.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    All of them
    I got as far as the smoke and switched off.

Bike
    All of them
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bonne_stormy.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	596.4 KB 
ID:	286935

And I corresponded with Stormy's family regarding a Bonneville article in 2001. And the Texas Dealership.

Bike
    All of them
    And the dude can steer 'em.

Name:	baynes leads rowe.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	432.6 KB 
ID:	286943

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post

Name:	bonne_stormy.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	596.4 KB 
ID:	286935

I corresponded with Stormy's family regarding a Bonneville article in 2001. And the Texas Dealership.
    I'd love to read that Dave...

I was lucky enough to work in Dallas once and visited Big D cycles and met Jack Wilson and they were amazingly kind to me. Went out the back and they still had the dyno they used to develop the engines and all sorts of stuff.. It was one of the high points of my life (sad I know) as I always kind of idolised those guys and the whole story. It really should have been made into a movie and I've always thought Triumph (the modern one) is missing out on a huge opportunity as those guys did such amazing things with everything from Tiger Cubs to Tridents...

"After Allen set the iconic 1956 world record with the Thunderbird engine, Wilson built up a 200cc Tiger Cub single using the same streamliner chassis and shell with similar tuning. In this configuration the machine ran 136 mph at the Salt Flats. In 1958 Jack then installed a very trick 500cc Triumph twin and with 18-year-old Jess Thomas (another Texan) at the controls, the machine clocked an average of 212.28 mph-a new world record for unblown, streamlined 500cc motorcycles running on nitro. That record stood for 50 years. "

I mean 136mph from a tiger cub.....

Seriously I would consider buying a Jack Wilson tribute bike... I'd DEFINATELY think Triumph NZ could run a Jack Wilson day

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I got as far as the smoke and switched off.
    Generally an unfortunate image fronting an unfortunate story..... They should have left it to you...

Thread Information