Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long before this comes here??

Bike
    1997 Honda Blackbird
    Originally posted by FzerozeroT
    london has a numberplate recognition camera, don't know if thats used for tolling yet though
    The Auotomatic Number Plate Recognition system (ANPR) is used by the Police and other such agencies in the UK. From reading the number plate they determine the make of vehicle, colour, registered owner, if it has road tax and insurance. they can even see if you're a wanted person.

There was talk of all vehicles being fitted with a GPS system to determine vehicle movement, speed ETC. so the motorist can be charged per mile and fined for speed offences. Year 2012 was the proposed introduction, I think.

They'll be charging breath tax next,

Bike
    1988 CBR250r Hurricane
    transponders show position and hieight, they arent going to need the hieght part tho,. haha,

remeber tho, the companies that desgin these things, will design counter ones,
    just like police have radars, we use radar jammer or radar dector

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    I am fairly sure (though not certain, so correction is welcome) that the mandatory component (as in most countries with such rules) relates only to third party death or injury. Of course most/all the insurance companies won't offer cover for just the mandatory only, so in practice it means at least TPF&T.

In NZ we already have a mandatory third party death or injury insurance included in the rego cost. It's called ACC.

I only ever have third party, fire & theft (really only want fire and theft, but can't get that). I don't plan on breaking someone elses ride, and if I'm silly enough to let you break mine, then I deserve it.
    ACC is second party insurance, ie you.
    Compulsory insurance usually refers to 3rd party damage and injury.
    As far as transponders go, isn't the accepted principle, "if you're doing nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear"? :sly:

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    As far as transponders go, isn't the accepted principle, "if you're doing nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear"? :sly:
    What causes me to "fear" is who gets to define what "wrong" is
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries

Speaking f identifying cars...

If anyone out there knows who "X K1W1 X" is please let me know - I want to commit a serious offence on or about his person.

Screaming up the laft hand side of the North Western and muscled his way in (while alongside me on my bike) forcing me to the right... toward a packed middle lane..

... nice one dude...

He hopped over another lane and I sped up to catch up with him and gave him the "what's up with you" signal (arm stretched straight out, hand held flat, palm up, thumb out, non aggressive gestruing upward...) and his response was impressive... A Hopoate with any other players involved...

not good.

Anyhoo - watch out for him. Anger management problem and a loss of licence deserving to happen...

As you were...
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    "if you're doing nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear"? :sly:
    Yeah sort of... till you apply that data collection and technology to those who abuse it.

Extreme example warning... look at Hitler when he came to power. What would have happened if he had that technology? You wouldn't need to raid the homes of Jews - just track 'em in the streets... as they flee etc.

Anyhoo - I told you it was an extreme example. But the principle is there.

On the other side of that coin - I do agree... if anyone wants to monitor my sad little life... feel free. It's the nearest I'll ever get to being famous!
    MDU
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    Big Brother is watching. I am amazed that a state in the US of A -- that bastion of personal liberty, e.g. gun laws -- would sanction such an intrusion into people's lives.
    Ummm, are we talking about the same US of A that, before the dust of the destroyed towers had settled, was asking it own people if they minded - in order to prevent similar occurences - losing a few "traditional liberties" such as the right not to be covertly monitored and the right of "due process"?

The US govt has a pretty crap history of civil liberties breeches (no offense to any Americans on here), so has pretty much any government you care to mention.

If a goverment can in some way spy on its people, it will. If revenue can be made from it, it'll make it a priority.

I could imagine those "transponders", or something similar, being used here to check for current rego or WoF - or for plain vehicle tracking. We have the technology now, using RFID tags - readable at 3 meters with the right reader (probably further but they're not admitting it) - and reader units akin to those in the check-outs at Wal-Mart (but more powerful).

They could issue new rego stickers with a thin RFID layer, set up scanners on the motorway (within 3m of the centreline) and they're set to catch you speeding (1 hour to travel 150km - we've got you matey!) or for out of date rego etc. Used in conjunction with cameras, you can forget popping a mono to hide the number plate.

Paranoid? No. Paranoia is a delusional state, a fantasy world. We have the tech, it's cheap, it has massive revenue potential, it can be easily disguised as "safety considerations" (catching all those dangerous speeders on motorcycles who pull monos past the camera, snaffling those deadly bastards who drive round for months with an old rego sticker), and the govt is inherently greedy - I'd say that sort of monitoring is only a matter of time...
    "For our own good", of course.
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    or you could just cover the sticker with a lead patch
    Next you will be telling me that we have to have a sticker or our bike to say its regestered.......
    i actually dont mind the idea - purely because i can stop fuckwits hitting me with no insurance and getting away with it. I think its called 'responsibility' and most adults have it.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Thread Information