Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan from Motorad: my hero

Bike
    2014 Triumph Street Triple

Thumbs up Dan from Motorad: my hero

I just wanted to put in a good word for Dan from Motorad who really helped me out tonight.

My engine cut out suddenly on the way home. It was a blown fuse. No problem, replace the fuse. Or so I thought as I rode off. My first piece of luck came 5 minutes later - the fuse blew again but lucky for me it happened as I was reaching the traffic lights at the end of the motorway offramp - it didn't happen ON the motorway

Then my second piece of luck - who should pull up but a guy I recognised from Motorad, who recognised me as a customer. We could replace the fuse again but I didn't want to risk a ride over the Wadestown Hill and have it blow again up there (no idea what was causing it). So Dan found a spare fuse with more amps off his bike, enough to get me going more safely - and followed me back into town, where we stowed the bike at Motorad for the night. Then he doubled me home.

Thanks, Dan, you're great. And Motorad, well that's service!

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

Thumbs up

Good onya Dan
    Team Brehaut Racing - VMCC/MNZ #67
    supported by Team Brehaut Racing, GARAGE Espresso, TSS Red Baron, Walker & McLuskie Ltd, Porirua Auto Crash Repairs,
    Jackson Van Interiors, Super Save Cars, Supreme Screens Ltd, & Slotmedia.co.nz

Bike
    2003,Kawasaki ZX-9R

Thumbs up

Well done Dan for stopping and helping a fellow biker in need.

Bike
    HONDA CBR 250 RR, 2008 250 Kawasaki Ni.
    A real Gentleman. Make sure you take a Lotto ticket this Saturday Dan as you may get lucky and be rewarded for your good deed.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Good to hear of great service from Dan.
    Nice one.

Bike
    gt250 hyofighter
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    I just wanted to put in a good word for Dan from Motorad who really helped me out tonight.

My engine cut out suddenly on the way home. It was a blown fuse. No problem, replace the fuse. Or so I thought as I rode off. My first piece of luck came 5 minutes later - the fuse blew again but lucky for me it happened as I was reaching the traffic lights at the end of the motorway offramp - it didn't happen ON the motorway

Then my second piece of luck - who should pull up but a guy I recognised from Motorad, who recognised me as a customer. We could replace the fuse again but I didn't want to risk a ride over the Wadestown Hill and have it blow again up there (no idea what was causing it). So Dan found a spare fuse with more amps off his bike, enough to get me going more safely - and followed me back into town, where we stowed the bike at Motorad for the night. Then he doubled me home.

Thanks, Dan, you're great. And Motorad, well that's service!
    yeah there good sorts there. theres one guy there who looks stoned out of his brains all the time dono if he is or not though ha
    my 250 doesn't satisfy me anymore, shes just not doing it

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville & Street Triple
    Dans the man

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    spare fuse with more amps off his bike, enough to get me going more safely
    It is very tempting to do that, but you can do a huge amount of damage to your bike and yourself. A slightly larger fuse will blow just the same as the smaller one. A much larger fuse won't blow at all, and quite likely you will have a lick of flame at your crotch to deal with.

Quite often, intermittant faults can be temporarily resolved by grabbing the wiring loom and giving it a good shove in both directions and then trying a new fuse. This often dislodges the fault and can get you going in a pinch.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    '07 Honda CBR1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    yeah there good sorts there. theres one guy there who looks stoned out of his brains all the time dono if he is or not though ha
    Hahahaha, I reckon you mean Ben!

Bike
    Aprilia RSV4
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    Quite often, intermittant faults can be temporarily resolved by grabbing the wiring loom and giving it a good shove in both directions and then trying a new fuse. This often dislodges the fault and can get you going in a pinch.

Steve
    Or have your bike not go at all
    It's not what you ride but how you ride it!!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    It is very tempting to do that, but you can do a huge amount of damage to your bike and yourself. A slightly larger fuse will blow just the same as the smaller one. A much larger fuse won't blow at all, and quite likely you will have a lick of flame at your crotch to deal with.

Steve
    Yeah, thanks Steve. That's why it's at Motorad - hopefully they can figure out what is wrong (I have no clue about these things). I am worried that a larger fuse is going to mask the real problem. And that other BIG problem you mention of the crotch-flame!

What is the wiring loom and how do I find it? (in case this ever happens again). Thanks, in advance.
    Karen

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    I am worried that a larger fuse is going to mask the real problem. And that other BIG problem you mention of the crotch-flame!
    Haha, yep. And you would be exactly right. A fuse is there to prevent the wiring from going up in flames when something shorts out, until someone replaces it with a larger one. If the fuse doesn't blow, the wiring just heats more and more until something else does.

I doubt you will ever be unlucky enough to see flames. More like a destroyed wiring loom (pricey) and a thick blanket of smog.

What is the wiring loom and how do I find it?
    If you can whip your seat off easily, you will see a fat bunch of wiring running between the battery area and other little electrical doo-dads, and up towards the front cowling area, all wrapped tightly in some black tape or other protective covering. If you can't get the seat off, just kneel down and have a gander up under the upper frame or cowling area and you might be able to see it.

There will almost certainly be a part of this wiring which has rubbed through its' insulation and shorting out on some nearby metallic object. If you can tug it forward or backward slightly it will just move the rubbed-through part away from the problem area.

This is clutching at straws slightly, but when you are on the side of the road and down to your last fuse you have to do something other than just burn your last fuse. It has often got me home.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Thanks heaps, Steve. I now know the bit (the loom) you are referring to and can get at it. Good explanation of what could be happening too.
    Karen

(p.s. I can never again think of "crotch-flame" as a good thing that happens on a date with somebody spunky)

Bike
    Nada

Blah

Awesome service from Dan(and Motorad)....see,we aren't all bad

Bike
    gt250 hyofighter
    Quote Originally Posted by unrealone View Post
    Hahahaha, I reckon you mean Ben!
    yeah maybe..im always trying to figure out is this guy wasted?..or wdf is his situation
    my 250 doesn't satisfy me anymore, shes just not doing it

Thread Information