Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Computer PCI slot not working

Bike
    tedium
    Did you get this resolved? Try any other brand except Linksys as they are a steaming pile of $hite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Bike
    1999 TRX850K
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    any advice?
    1, Clear the CMO's
    2, Clear the NVRam Data
    3, Try different slot
    4, Try different card in slot
    5, Try card in different computer

If 4 and 5 test ok, Reinstall Chipset drivers, If that fails, Nuke the bitch!

Warning!, If you have any raid adapters, you do not want to clear the NVData it will wipe the raid if the info is not held on the disks.

Bike
    1999 TRX850K
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    Download any small Linux system,boot it, and do lspci && dmesg and have a good read.

Steve
    That is a good idea!, And you can do the same with the same card on another computer to ensure its not your MB Playing up.

Do all the easy things first Like clearing cmo's

Bike
    1999 TRX850K
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Check that none of the PCI slots have been disabled
    That is a good one, usually resetting the CMO's will help, the slots are usually enabled by default, so a reset will ensure to enable them if you can not find how in the cmo's setup. But yes you can on some boards turn slots on and off, and also force other settings upon those slots.

Have not done this in years!!! this is old school hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Leyton View Post
    That is a good one, usually resetting the CMO's will help, the slots are usually enabled by default, so a reset will ensure to enable them if you can not find how in the cmo's setup. But yes you can on some boards turn slots on and off, and also force other settings upon those slots.

Have not done this in years!!! this is old school hehe
    I dont know how to do that stuff, will give a go when i get home tho
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    1999 TRX850K
    http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data.../ResetCMOS.jpg

Ignore the part about configuring your bio's afterwards... pft.. rubbish, who does that these days :P 9/10 times. Unless your a hard core gamer

Quote Originally Posted by leyton View Post
    http://www.wikihow.com/reset-your-bios
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data.../resetcmos.jpg

ignore the part about configuring your bio's afterwards... Pft.. Rubbish, who does that these days 9/10 times. Unless your a hard core gamer
    oic, i ran out of time last night so will give it a try tonight

what will resetting the bios do? I cant see how it might affect the pci slot?
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    1999 TRX850K
    oic, i ran out of time last night so will give it a try tonight

what will resetting the bios do? I cant see how it might affect the pci slot?
    It will reset any bio's settings relating to the PCI slot.

It is the single most easyest thing to do first besides testing the adapter card in other slots and other computers, and other cards in the suspect slot etc...

Bike
    Hodor
    card is fully in, i used the install disk before inserting card
    this is were you fucked up you should always install your hardware before you install the drivers

Quote Originally Posted by scouse View Post
    this is were you fucked up you should always install your hardware before you install the drivers
    thats not what the install guide said. Also the first card i did i read installed the hardware before the drivers.

Bike
    SF
    Yup. A LOT of hardware incl USB gear has a sticker on it saying to load the drivers first. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work and you do end up reloading the drivers again afterwards.
    I have never heard of reactivating a dud PCI slot or resolving an IRQ with a CMOS reset so will follow this thread closely.
    Good luck

Im prob just going to return the card and get a usb one if the reset of bios dosent do anything (i dont see how it would)

Bike
    2006 z1000 - Devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    Yeah wont make much difference, the outcomes of installing the drivers before the card is that the card wont be identified with the drivers, it will still do the "adding hardware wizard" but simply get confused.

Also if you do install the software first it puts the driver information (card identifier etc etc) into the DID and windows will normal auto-install the driver based on the DID info.

I've done it 100s of times either way.

I would suggest that your MB might have an older bios that can't identify with the card.

Always have your IRQ's etc set to auto - tweaking pci settings is for people with LOTS of time and hair to pull out.

Leyton's got some good points.

Failing what others have said here:
    1. add remove programs>remove the installed drivers, this wont actually remove them but it will simplify things.
    2. power it down and take the card out
    3. go to the gigabyte site and find a tutorial to install new bios firmware
    4. restart the computer at least once after installing the new bios
    5. shut down and put the card in
    6. power it up and see if its there
    7. failing that do the linux thing someone mentioned - it WILL tell you if your motherboard recognises the card and do a better job than windows - you don't need to install it or change anything, it will boot into a full operating system from the CD - http://www.knoppix.org

If you really get stuck and want to try the linux thing but don't know how, give me a PM and we can arrange a time where i can talk you through it on the phone - after downloading and burning its a 10 minute phone call.

Linux doesn't need a driver to see and identify with the card, only to use it. Unlike windows.

Its possible that the card was a dud out of the box - only way to test it is to put it into a different program.

Its also possible the your motherboard PCI controllers are burned - only way to test is to chuck another PCI card in the computer.

(ps, sorry about all the acronyms - its the nature of the beast really)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mully
    The price of biking is eternal vigilance. Switch off for a second and the bastard will bite you.
    You can't save the fallen, direct the lost or motivate the lazy.

Bike
    tedium
    Ok geeks, enough about $20 wifi cards.

$hitey @cer laptop (what else could it be). Vista packs sad. UBCD4win runs OK. KSpeeddisk Ok on drive. Memtest86 packs sad after about 10 minutes (test 4). Removed faulty sodimm. Ran memtest86. Test 4 packs sad after about 10 minutes. Removed other faulty sodimm. Replaced with new one. Ran memtest86. Test 4 packs sad after about 10 minutes.........you get the picture. Knoppix runs OK.

Suspect faulty video card. Any easy way I can test the card?

Ever heard of Memtest86 giving false positives?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Bike
    1999 TRX850K
    Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    I is a g33k, and I dress funny
    It can be memory voltage issues. It can also mean and more likely doomed MB, it could also be incorrect bus speed set for the ram if your board is that tweakable.

But if the video apears ok, and memtest fails.. its like WTF... . It is likely to be the mainboard. Good luck!

P.S, I always wanted to try that with the qouting system

Thread Information