Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: MVX250 resto thread

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Hey if you could ask the question I'd be most appreciative. I can freight anything anywhere
    I'll get in touch with him & see what he's upto with them...... last time I was talking with him he had plans of rebuilding one with the idea of using CR85 pistons etc. He's got about 6 bikes in various stages of repair so I'd say the MVXs will still be the same as last time I saw them.
    Once i findout I'll let you know

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    You know how one goes about that?
    Well first thing to do would be start at first principles & put a degree wheel on the flywheel (very cheap large protractor) using an extra nut with bolts to affix it to the crank end if there is enough thread poking out. Make a thin wire pointer line up to the marks on the wheel.

Then a dial gauge in the spark holes would find TDC for one set of pistons. Then wind it on to TDC for the rear piston & presumably that should align at 90 degrees to the front two (they are 90 deg aren't they?) If it is out by a few degrees then the crank wasn't assembled correctly.

Having not seen an MVX ignition set up I will continue with assumption;
    Presumably the ignition fire is taken off the flywheel by an internal or external pulsar coil. There will be two, one for each bank of cylinders positioned at 90 degrees away from each other. If you want to retard the rear one; slot it's mounting hole & rotate it say a mm or two in the direction the flywheel rotates. This will retard the ignition giving that cylinder an easier time. The coil should remain same distance away from raised bit or the flywheel will clout it, or not work if too far away.

You can work out which cylinder lines up with which pulsar coil as it reaches TDC it will line up with the F (Fire) then T (top) mark on the flywheel & there will be a raised section passing under the related pulsar coil then. If performance falls off notably you could wind it back a little, there should be a sweet spot.

I'd also check that the fuel supply is ok to all carbs, watch fuel filters which can be hidden in carbs or taps. Make sure carb jets cleaned out, 2 strokes often seize on closed throttle meaning pilot jet. You could try wind the idle mixture screw in a touch more than the other cylinders which will richen the mixture a tickle.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Legend Dave, thanks for that. Fancy a wee trip to Auckland?

Nah I'll be able to work it out from that explanation.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    Aprilia Shiver 750, Suzuki RG150E
    I'd love an MVX.
    Mate had one back in '87 when I had a CBX400F. We used to dragrace down the Auckland Motorway (we were 17 yrs old afterall), wasn't much in it. I rode the MVX and got 160km/h indicated (on private property of course ) on it. Remember it being smooth motor with a peculiar flat engine note.

Pity Honda never developed it into a 3 cylinder NS250 based on the '400.

"...you meet the weirdest people riding a Guzzi !!..."

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by nudemetalz View Post
    Remember it being smooth motor with a peculiar flat engine note.

Pity Honda never developed it into a 3 cylinder NS250 based on the '400.
    Yeah a trip is very smooth and the V3 super smooth... engine note was one of a kind sounded awesome with oil dribling out of the rubber boots on the tail piece.

Ya have to remember the MVX was brought out over night as Suzuki had relised the RG the RZ arived and so had the KR... a bit slow of the take was Honda but hey not a bad effort even tho they should have knowen beter.

check it out both the MVX and RG were the only two fully faired bikes (RG & MVX) in the contry at that time the Rg was x top racers of the area and the MVX was a x well knowen rider at the time aswell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rgmv.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	142449  
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    A Black One
    My sons bike,it goes but has a crankshaft seal problem and need forks and brakes done...I might do it up as a project .Parts seem to be hard to find though I have seen plenty on Yahoo Japan but not being able to speak or read Japanese it aint much use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_1943.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	142445   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_1942.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	142446  

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank...
    Give a man a bank he can rob the WORLD !!!

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    Yeah a trip is very smooth and the V3 super smooth... engine note was one of a kind sounded awesome with oil dribling out of the rubber boots on the tail piece.

Ya have to remember the MVX was brought out over night as Suzuki had relised the RG the RZ arived and so had the KR... a bit slow of the take was Honda but hey not a bad effort even tho they should have knowen beter.

Yup... All that oil down the pipes and over the floor.....

Yes, Honda should have known better.... Realistically they just wedged a V3 into a VT 250 frame....

Oh, and the power... Well it was plenty for a 17 year old with stuff all road experience.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by gwigs View Post
    I have seen plenty on Yahoo Japan but not being able to speak or read Japanese it aint much use.
    You can get google to translate it??
    Sometimes the captions are a real laugh.... on all bikes that is.

Bike
    I sold it
    Shit yeah, nothing better than doing rear cylinder rebuilds at the side of the road. Roadracingoldfart used to race one back in the day, that's how old he is.

While it was parked up at Manfeild, I'd say it drew more attention than any other bike in the pits.

Two things here .......

1 You stole my photo ya bastard (the one with the missing middle link in it )
    2 Im starting to look on this beastly bike with a bit more respect than i did when i raced them. Assholes like Holden , Mcdoanld and others all blew me away but i had soooo much fun getting in thier way but i never got lapped once in 2 years ,thank god for short races lol. Free bikes were always good bikes and when the NS400 r came out i never touched the MVX again.
    Ill give you a few tips some time Jimmy . One thing they need is a reliable clutch lever , just in case

I will watch this thread with interest

Paul.

Bike
    I sold it
    Quote Originally Posted by RDjase View Post
    Its good its found a good home now tho, even tho Roadracingoldfart wanted it shot

Its true , this is all your bloody fault , all you had to do was pull one little trigger , your a bloody failure.

Bike
    XT660r
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracingoldfart View Post
    Its true , this is all your bloody fault , all you had to do was pull one little trigger , your a bloody failure.
    Is that better Paul? Or to late

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    Hm the MVX handgrenade (pin optional...)
    A friend ahd 3 of them - but only 1 running at a time as they all blew up.
    There is an english language workshop manual, which any MVX owner will soon learn off by heart. No copy in my archives tho.
    Geoff
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Bike
    I sold it
    Quote Originally Posted by RDjase View Post
    Is that better Paul? Or to late

Im afraid (very very afraid ) that you may be a tad too late.
    Time will tell.

Bike
    I sold it
    If this bike ever gets on the track i may have to buy an old RD 200 electric to give Trashie a thrashie.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracingoldfart View Post
    If this bike ever gets on the track i may have to buy an old RD 200 electric to give Trashie a thrashie.
    Pfft, whatever old man. It will make it to a track but only in track day capacity, I'm over racing.

Got some good suspension mods in mind to lessen the softness a bit and a few reliability fixes. She'll be a good un.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Thread Information