Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MVX250 resto thread

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike

MVX250 resto thread

Righto,

Drew managed to get hold of a horible old MVX250 Honda for my birthday 'cause he knows I love em to bits and have always wanted to restore one. RDJase kindly supplied and towed the bike to Manfeild a few weeks back and the exchange was done.

Here's the pics. Over the next six months I plan to return it to it's former glory. If anyone knows of any bits lying around I'd be interested to hear. In particular after the R/H raadiator shroud.

Stripping commences this weekend, more pics of the progress to follow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25-08-09.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	142341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25-08-09 2.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	142342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture%20001.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	521.0 KB 
ID:	142343  
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    XT660r
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Righto,

Drew managed to get hold of a horible old MVX250 Honda for my birthday 'cause he knows I love em to bits and have always wanted to restore one. RDJase kindly supplied and towed the bike to Manfeild a few weeks back and the exchange was done.

Here's the pics. Over the next six months I plan to return it to it's former glory. If anyone knows of any bits lying around I'd be interested to hear. In particular after the R/H raadiator shroud.

Stripping commences this weekend, more pics of the progress to follow.

I have a radiator and the original mirrors off it , I will drop them off to Drew at Rd5,

And just for the record I never owned it, it follow me home like a lost dog Its good its found a good home now tho, even tho Roadracingoldfart wanted it shot

Love the pic of Drew, I know he wants to race it

Bike
    RSV
    Woohoo, the MVX.

Mine made a 2-stroke mechanic out of me.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Shit yeah, nothing better than doing rear cylinder rebuilds at the side of the road. Roadracingoldfart used to race one back in the day, that's how old he is.

While it was parked up at Manfeild, I'd say it drew more attention than any other bike in the pits.

Bike
    2007 XB12R. 2000 M900S
    see if the engine #'s go with the frame #'s. if they don't it may be one of my old bikes. i blew the original engine in Petone and swapped the engine over in an upstairs flat in Hopper St, Wellington after getting another one for parts ( a blue gray one ).

if it is my old one, cool !
    used to do Welli to Aucks and back in the early 90's in the weekends to visit my son. I remember the lights dimming and cutting out one night every time I went over 140 odd km/h in top gear.

Bike
    2013 EX300SE
    Don't do it. It'll only end in tears! There is a reason Honda stopped building those things.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    I know where there are two complete bikes, both suffering the infamous seizure problems but the bodywork is complete on both.
    They're a wee ways away from your neck of the woods though....but I could ask for you if you're interested.

Bike
    '76 BMW R90S
    We musta done something wrong then . . . . .

My wife rode an MVX250 back in the late '80s for a few years. It was a low owner, low mileage bike which had been looked after very well. It never gave any problems with rear cylinder seizure.

The only trouble it gave was the result of running it on cheap 2-stroke oil for a few weeks, when it holed a front piston crown. I bought a new piston & second hand barrel, and swapped them over. Too easy.

It was a brilliant little bike. My wife eventually replaced it with an RG400 that subsequently almost killed her, but that's another story . . . . .

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    They were such a running joke back in the day I remember going past Sawyers in the school bus & they were virtually giving them away with any bike sold (or 4l oil pack).

But in the end they've kinda turned retro cool, bit like owning a, um, well one of those. But cool & good on ya.

There is all sorts of lore about those, one being that the timing is off & needs to be dial gauged & the pulsar retarded on the rear. Who know if that is myth/pub story, but it couldn't hurt.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Goose
    Awesome! I was a little jealous when I saw it at the track...

Can I blow it up for you when you're sick of it, please?
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Cooooool.....Ive got a mate over here looking for one - to go with his NS400R, 2x RZ500's, RG500, KR250......etc....etc......
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    I know where there are two complete bikes, both suffering the infamous seizure problems but the bodywork is complete on both.
    They're a wee ways away from your neck of the woods though....but I could ask for you if you're interested.
    Hey if you could ask the question I'd be most appreciative. I can freight anything anywhere

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    We musta done something wrong then . . . . .

My wife rode an MVX250 back in the late '80s for a few years. It was a low owner, low mileage bike which had been looked after very well. It never gave any problems with rear cylinder seizure.

The only trouble it gave was the result of running it on cheap 2-stroke oil for a few weeks, when it holed a front piston crown. I bought a new piston & second hand barrel, and swapped them over. Too easy.

It was a brilliant little bike. My wife eventually replaced it with an RG400 that subsequently almost killed her, but that's another story . . . . .
    My last one was really good actually, I did MEGA miles on it as did my dad. They're actually really nice bikes to ride. Very comfy, awesomely smooth. Not very fast though.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    There is all sorts of lore about those, one being that the timing is off & needs to be dial gauged & the pulsar retarded on the rear.
    You know how one goes about that?

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    WICKED SHIT

loven it WT... cool and a very misunderstood bike. Yeah factory timing was off, jetting was out all ending up with holled pistons, running a colder plug in the rear was all we knew about the bikes due to the rear not getting the same cooling as the front two, but in fact as I found each pot would take a turn at holling.
    There was a after market piston high domed/compression cant remember the brand but they did well, and once fitted up the bike lasted forever... ish

excuse the quality of the pic it was back in the 80's

ps: Drew seen a modle of mine at home and stared at it saying Jimmie would cream himself over that.. we loughed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cool.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	142389  
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Thread Information