Thread: Intermittent instrument cluster fault

Bike
    Motor Cycle

Angry Intermittent instrument cluster fault

[in regards to a 1988 GSXR-750J]

G'day all,

I have an intermittent fault on my instrument cluster - the neutral light requires some 'encourangement' to work sometimes (usually a slight tap) and the last time I went for a ride, my tachometer failed to register any engine speed for short periods at seemingly random intervals. I suspect it may just be some loose wiring behind the cluster, but if anyone with a bit more auto-electrical knowledge knows of any other things I should be checking, ie earthing, then any (informed) advice would be appreciated muchly.

DM.

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Have you noticed if all the electrics are dying - or just the instrument cluster?

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    So far only the Neutral light and the tachometer...I had a nosey a little earlier - it looks a little corroded back there, but not badly. I might just pull it all apart, give it a clean and see how it goes.

Bike
    98 HondaRS125
    First thing to do is unplug all the plugs at the back of the instruments and clean all the terminals,tighten the connectors carefully with a small screwdriver and reconnect all of the plugs.
    Its quite common and often they even arc a little bit and start to melt the plastic on the plug.
    Luv it!

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    Think I figured it out...problem didn't start until a short 'sometime' after I changed the headlamps from standard 50/60W to 90/100W bulbs. I noticed just recently I didn't have any problems when the lights weren't running...hmmm...

Anyway, I have put the standard bulbs back in and I haven't had the problem repeat on me - yet.

Fingers crossed, anyway. Makes it much easier to sell if the techo doesn't suddenly drop to zero on the test rider...

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Thread Information