Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raj reckons it's 'cheating'

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    The 690sm is more like it, but gets disgustingly good fuel economy. Still a bit underpowered for my liking tho, and thought I would get bored on it
    I dont, I think its perfect amount of grunt for the road. Heaps of grunt to pass cars and perfect managable amount for twistys, not so much to get you into trouble.
    Loving mine, want pipes tho
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    orange, light, loud: all i need
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    It's true, it's true. Traditional racebike geometry makes a bike harder to ride fast in slow corners. And it makes my legs hurt.

And all of NZ's back roads and about two-thirds of the Taupo Motorsport Park count as 'slow corners'. And my legs hurt enough as it is without riding cramped motorcycles.

What sort of tank range do you get on your KTM, Idle?
    how long is a piece of string?

12 litres lasts me 130-220kms

someone said 690smc's are economical: that person obviously doesn't ride like me

my beemer F800S is way more economical

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    I kind of agree with ya.....and I kind of don't.

You don't realise just how few corners there are under 120kph on the open road and how far apart they are until you've ridden a motard on the road. Sure, they're great over the 'taka's or such like but roads like that are few and far between. I loved my 'berg 650 over the 'taka's but I hated riding there, even from just outside M'boro....then there's having to fill up every 110km's or so, run expensive 5-40w oil and biff it every 500km's etc etc

The problem with motards is that the practical ones are mostly gutless, heavy wannabe's and the really fun ones are totally impractical.

But I reckon they'd be perfect for F3. I'm constantly suprised that no-one has set one up as a dedicated road race bike. 120ish kg's, 60hp, good suspension components, what's not to like?
    i totally disagree

i ride on the road all the time and long distances too

i rarely have trouble 'keeping up'

those sport bikes just don't get to go 250kph everywhere or if they do, the riders licences are soon requested by the long arm

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Steve View Post
    Unless your being chased by a Fat guy on a Hayabusa around the loop and you still cant leave him behind on the tight twisite stuff and said Fat guy had super shagged Tyres ! !

Dont agree with you Mr Breen, I think the right rider Cough Cough ! ! Will make you and your motard look stupider than normal....

Crazy Steve.
    you don't really think i was doing anything more than staying ahead do ya steve?

i find it gets pretty boring riding by myself; i prefer playing rear view mirror games

Bike
    Blog Entries
    on the same ride a certain zooki rider (not steve) told people he got bored and passed me.

true, he did.

that was after all the twisties though once the road became suitable for speeds my ktm could never do (and i'm not interested in doing)

all the previous roads had him falling steadily behind

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    they suck! but crash well and alot............
    i kinda agree.
    the 690 is a good engine, but the tank range on my old sm and slow top speed ment getting away from the law was too hard.
    Im faster on my gixxer than on the SM, maybe not quite in the tight stuff though.
    Sportsbikes give the best all round package.

remember, you have to ride the motart to the twisties first

tarted up chook chasers

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Quote Originally Posted by idleidolidyll View Post
    i totally disagree

i ride on the road all the time and long distances too

i rarely have trouble 'keeping up'

those sport bikes just don't get to go 250kph everywhere or if they do, the riders licences are soon requested by the long arm
    What species katoom are ya ridin'?

I hear ya re the sportsbikes.....but I'm not convinced re the motards. But it all boils down to how you define a motard doesn't it?

Does it have to be competitive at say, racing at Wanga's with the dirt section? Is it any bike with a set of high bars? Is there a weight limit? I mean does strapping a set of bars on an SV650 make it a motard? How is it technically any different to an SXV550?

For what it's worth, any bike that encourages a "sporting" style of riding could be considered a sportsbike couldn't it? There's just different ways of going about getting from point A to point B in a timely manner.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    What species katoom are ya ridin'?

I hear ya re the sportsbikes.....but I'm not convinced re the motards. But it all boils down to how you define a motard doesn't it?

Does it have to be competitive at say, racing at Wanga's with the dirt section? Is it any bike with a set of high bars? Is there a weight limit? I mean does strapping a set of bars on an SV650 make it a motard? How is it technically any different to an SXV550?

For what it's worth, any bike that encourages a "sporting" style of riding could be considered a sportsbike couldn't it? There's just different ways of going about getting from point A to point B in a timely manner.
    give me a naked twin anyday..

ducati streetfighter would have a good go at owning both

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    give me a naked twin anyday..

ducati streetfighter would have a good go at owning both

Then that depends on who is riding it eh, i.e SXV Daryl Atkins vs the Top 5 Sportsbikes in the robert holden (based on actual lap times of the days racing, D.A didnt run the Robert holden but had he he would have been about 5-6th from memory) at Wangas was a fairly convincing effort for Motards.

A Ducati Naked with a moderate to good rider would certainly get cleaned up in any reasonably attended motard race at say Taupo track, and would get eaten at a street race.

But what would I know, Ive owned "the few" with 50 hp vs three times that, and Im not even that good
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    Motards are one of best classes here in NZ if only there were more places to race...

A local club put on a hillclimb and motards were all at the sharp end.

As for the road riding side of things, never had a motard to ride on the road. Ive ridden sports bikes and theyre fun but not nearly as much fun, both on the track and road

Bike
    1999 TRX850K
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    Motards ftw. Idol, my DRZ400 had about 39hp and it would annihililate ANY sportsbike on scenic drive, It was bliss
    I done scenic drive today, and I beleive you!! Greasey fricken scenic drive
    ! the R6 handled like a pig as per normal through the very tight odd corners!

I would not mind a motard myself for a play Just a low one though so I can touch the ground :P

Bike
    Ninjaaaa!
    on the same ride a certain zooki rider (not steve) told people he got bored and passed me.

true, he did.

that was after all the twisties though once the road became suitable for speeds my ktm could never do (and i'm not interested in doing)

all the previous roads had him falling steadily behind
    and the gn wasnt too far behind.. *cough*. I think a day time ride with a box so I can hop up on it and someone waiting to catch me when I stop is in order...

Fortnightly Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Cr1MiNaL View Post
    sigh, people with big mouths on here are always the ones with little or no skill.
    Roffle

Bike
    GSA & WR
    I've had an SM620 KTM and an SM650 Burg, The Burg was mental but I loved it,. High maintenance costs and a little temperamental. The KTM was an excellent commuter scoot making every trip a blast.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    someone said 690smc's are economical: that person obviously doesn't ride like me
    Devil used to own Quasi's 690sm... Devil and I compared notes, he was doing 13L ish for over 200, I was struggling to 200 on 15L.

Down to the way you ride it tho Triple X kept offering to put the lower gear restrictions back on, suggested I do less wheelies etc, but I thought it a silly idea

I had a 690 prestige overnight while the 990sm was in the shop at one point... yep, not quite wild enough for me. Bit of a hoot, but didn't have that scary edge I needed to be entertained.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information