Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ride thread

Bike
    '09 DR-Z400SM; '89 VFR400R, '78 RD350E
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyer View Post
    Yeah, Mr Adventure rider needs more gravel.
    Actually, I think he doesn't like it because it's not his normal commute route.

Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'm off to shoot a dairy owner and steal a hundred bucks from his till, if he dies, it's the dumb curries fault for not wearing a bullet proof vest.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    New Zealand, where cows are happy, men are men, sheep are nervous and horses are fast because they heard about the sheep.

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJafa View Post
    Actually, I think he doesn't like it because it's not his normal commute route.
    I rode through some mud the other day, scared the shit outta me

Bike
    Ninjaaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae View Post
    i'd love to go on a ride with you guys, but i reckon we should keep it as within the smc as we can
    Ah well Im not even at uni anymore (and I went to AUT not AU anyway) so I guess that counts me out.

Fortnightly Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Cr1MiNaL View Post
    sigh, people with big mouths on here are always the ones with little or no skill.
    Roffle

Bike
    1986 Honda GB 400F
    Quote Originally Posted by Thani-B View Post
    Ah well Im not even at uni anymore (and I went to AUT not AU anyway) so I guess that counts me out.
    You can come!! i'm pretty sure half the smc doesn't go to uni anymore anyways

i dont go to uni and i try and go.

although i havnt yet been on a SMC ride.....
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    Ninjaaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae View Post
    You can come!! i'm pretty sure half the smc doesn't go to uni anymore anyways
    Haha cool ok then. Well Im up for something next weekend. Just let me know the details if it happens.

Fortnightly Adventures

sigh, people with big mouths on here are always the ones with little or no skill.
    Roffle

Bike
    Too many to count
    i might just throw out there that Danae and myself have been on a few rides - combined with all the NASS and other riding she's much more prepared than most learners who join open road group rides

just remember she's on a wee little fxr150 so naturally might have a bit of trouble keeping up

Bike
    Ninjaaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbyclist View Post
    just remember she's on a wee little fxr150 so naturally might have a bit of trouble keeping up
    whats that like compared to being on a gn tryin to keep up with a bunch of thou's lol, honest question

Fortnightly Adventures

Roffle

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by Thani-B View Post
    whats that like compared to being on a gn tryin to keep up with a bunch of thou's lol, honest question
    I've seen some quick GN riders, and I've managed to lead a kaiaua ride the whole way thrashing the shit out of an FXR - meanwhile i've seen some true incompetence on litrebikes and either way they're no good on a decent twisty road.

what i was saying is that while ppl may take slowness for incompetence, it actually might be in part due to a lack of straight line acceleration/speed.

but in a nutshell, the fxr handles/brakes better while the GN has moar powar (though imho not as much as it should for a 250 vs 150) - so i'd say the fxr would do better if it's a tight twisty road but you'd have to work it alot harder, and squiggles would no doubt disagree

Bike
    THE XS is GONE, long live the across
    Blog Entries
    K, I think I need to explain my advice more clearly.

I thought common sense would prevail but evidently it fails in this case, I'm sorry, I didn't expect Danae to be an idiot and take my meaning literally.

I did not mean follow the bike in front of yours lines in the corners, I didn't mean sit directly on them.

I simply meant, have a bike in front of you, so that you can see into the corners further, can see into the corners more clearly, and can to a lesser extent, judge the "strength" of the corner by the speeds that they are taking into it and out of it.

From personal experience it is ALOT easier to ride at night (and drive) when there is a vehicle in front of you, simply due to the extended field of vision.

If you can prove me wrong, that, assuming the person following is not an idiot, it is 'bad advice' to travel with someone who is more used to riding at night in front, then feel free, but please try not to pick my arguments to pieces with a strawman fallacy.

Sure, I didn't explain my point precisely, saying "keep a safe breaking distance, use their lights to see the corner up ahead, judge the angle of the corner and slow down safely, lean into corner, but not excessively, keeping sight of where the corner is going, start straightening up as the corner ends, put on some throttle, travel behind the person in front who has just done the same thing at roughly the same speed, with enough breaking distance that if they had to emergency stop you could easily come to a stop without causing trouble"

While we're at it, should I also inform the people that they should stay on the left hand side of the road, and not drive on the right of the middle yellow lines? Cause I didn't explicitly state that, and since you assumed I meant 'follow the lines someone takes into and out of a corner very closely' I am taken to understand you might have assumed I also meant "travel on the right hand side of the road at all times for safety"

Here, I drew a better picture explaining my reasoning. I suck with paint, and am not artistic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	143559  

Bike
    VFR400, ZX9R, GSXR750, ZXR750, TRX850
    Ok...

Now back to organising rides!!! Could be keen for a putt putt on Sunday after fix-it perhaps.

Bike
    RC46 VFR800 in yellow, VTR250, ÜberFXR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingrob View Post
    Ok...

Now back to organising rides!!! Could be keen for a putt putt on Sunday after fix-it perhaps.
    Yaaaaay!

Sunday rides FTW! Big Yellow is good to roll, shame her rider is rusty as all hell after 6 months of pure commuting on little bikes

I'm good for a cruise anyways...
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    V4! VFR800s sound like some sort of alien rocket-ship coming to probe all of our women and destroy our cities

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    My riding situation is somewhat comprimised at the moment by life events (other people's, not mine).

So I cannot undertake to organise anything - passing in silence over the fact that I never DO organise anything , enlightened chaos is more my thing.

But if something is going down , I may be a starter . Depending on said life events.

Someone pick a random place and time and then sort out a destination from there.

Symonds St. Sunday

Someone nominate a time

Destination unknown. It's a small island, how far can one go?

Mangawai ? Or Monawai ? Or something? The place with the pub north of Wellsford.

Y' head to Wellsford, then head east. Or maybe west, I always get those two confused. Anyway , hang a right heading norf a bit past Wellford, then wiggle and jiggle a bit and y' come out at this nice pub on the sea coast. Big dunes opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    VFR400, ZX9R, GSXR750, ZXR750, TRX850
    Sounding good. If anyone's keen to organise it jump right on in... I have a few plans up in the air on Sunday so can't commit quite yet but if no plans come to place then I'm keen as.

If all else fails and I'm free on Sunday I'll put up a late notice thread in the morning if nothing else has been set and if the weather's still mint.

Thani I know you're watching, if it's on you can come in with me and meet some of the crew.

Bike
    Ninjaaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingrob View Post

Thani I know you're watching, if it's on you can come in with me and meet some of the crew.
    Haha ok you got me. Depends on how hungover I am from Sat night. And what times etc cos I'll be coming up from Hamilton.

Fortnightly Adventures

Roffle

Thread Information