Thread: When is the best time?

Bike
    Kawazaki KLR650 2009

Question When is the best time?

Hi

I am very new to biking and like the idea of a mentor cos it just makes sense.

But what I am not sure is at what point having a mentor is going to be most worthwhile.

I figure just being out on my bike and trying to get used to her right now is the right thing to do. Having someone looking over me is more likely to make me tense.

So I guess the question I am asking of experienced bikers and mentors is; at what point do you think having a mentor is of the most value to the new biker?

Is there a stage of proficiency the biker should have first or would it be a good idea from day one? I figure it would be useful to hear different opinions on this.

Cheers

Bike
    Triumph Tripple 675 DR 650
    Hi Edz1

The right time for a mentor might differ between riders but if you are already thinking that one will be beneficial to you then I think that this indicates that the time is right for you.

A mentor more than likely will not be riding over your shoulder. The idea of a mentor is just that, to mentor. He/she should not be doing anything that makes you overly nervous.

If you are wise you would want to be understanding the basics such as target fixation, emergency breaking and slow manuvours before you need to use them.
    The sooner and more often you practice skills the quicker your proficiency will develop. From that follows more enjoyment riding your bike

Have a check on the forum for Wellington nights similar to the AWNR.

Also search the forum for threads on riding tecniques.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    A mentor is not a 'teacher'. Rather, a mentor is available to give advice if you want it, either question/answer sort of thing, or at most 'Can you follow me and tell me what I'm doing right/wrong?'
    And there's no right or wrong time for a mentor to be called on...
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    one that goes
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    A mentor is not a 'teacher'. Rather, a mentor is available to give advice if you want it, either question/answer sort of thing, or at most 'Can you follow me and tell me what I'm doing right/wrong?'
    And there's no right or wrong time for a mentor to be called on...
    100%, plus it is better if he is a mate that has been riding for a good while, one of more mature standing..

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by duckonin View Post
    100%, plus it is better if he is a mate that has been riding for a good while, one of more mature standing..
    Someone with a few years experience, that you can trust to give good advice.
    Not everyone has such friends, in which case a KB mentor (:ME) is a good bet.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    As early as possible is a good time to get help if you ask me. Whether it's from a riding instructor, a mentor etc the earlier bad habits are caught and eliminated the better. Of course, whoever you have helping you out needs to actually know what they're doing.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edz1 View Post
    But what I am not sure is at what point having a mentor is going to be most worthwhile.
    It is not dependant on how good or bad a rider you are. What really matters is the willingness to learn. If you are ready to listen then you will benefit. You will gain even more when you are ready to question what you are learning.

What you get out of the relationship is dependant on what you put in to it.
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    Kawazaki KLR650 2009
    Thanks for the replies everybody.

Thats what I appreciate about this place-theres always different ways of looking at situations.

TBH I was not expecting an answer like 'after 300ks' thats why its helpful to hear the different perspectives!

I guess I should think about giving it a go!! (Ahhhh commitment!!!!! )

Bike
    09 Triumph Bonneville SE
    I had help from day 1. Other half following me home from the bike shop in the car (cringing all the way, lucky it was less than 1 Km to get home). Then riding with me as pillion down to an empty car park and patiently waiting while I stalled & stalled, and stalled some more. I would not have got past that, without that help from the start.

A lot comes down to your confidence level I guess.
    Now I really am a Bonnie girl

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    As early as possible is a good time to get help if you ask me. Whether it's from a riding instructor, a mentor etc the earlier bad habits are caught and eliminated the better. Of course, whoever you have helping you out needs to actually know what they're doing.
    What he said. There are a few absolutely critical techniques to know about ASAP. Counter steering for one. Without it, you have a massive chance of having an accident because you have no real control of the bike. If you do anything at all, find out about this one, and implement it. It could have saved me two (rather serious) accidents when I was a kid.

Without having knowledge of this technique, you actually cannot go out and "play aorund". Because its easy to die playing around without it.

The rest - yes find out about them when you are ready.
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Its easier to apologise than ask for permission.
    Wise words:
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

Bike
    A red one
    Hi there

I would strongly urge you to give Andrew & Lynne at call at www.roadsafe.co.nz & book yourself in for some professional training.

I cannot speak highly enough of what their experience & expertise will do for your riding.. ! They offer a variety of courses, including on-road.

Wearing good gear might save your skin & bones, but good training might save your life!
    NZTA Qualified Motorcycle Riding Instructor/Driving instructor
    Member of the NZ Institute of Driver Educators (NZIDE)
    Member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM)
    Nelsons provider for the 'Street Talk' Defensive Driving Course

Bike
    08 Kawasaki Versys

Thumbs up Rider training

I would like to reinforce the comment of enrolling in training with Lynn & Andrew of ROAD-SAFE I certainly found the help they gave on the 2 courses that I have done recently invaluable. I believe my riding improved 100%.

Bike
    2007 GSX1000R
    Having someone ride with you and being able to accept good and bad criticism will help make you a better rider. learning the right lines to take will make you a smoother rider, but most of all, the more you ride, and the more miles under your belt will also teach you things you need to know. Riding is also a 'learn as you go' thing.

My best advice to you is "expect the unexpected" - this is my motto that I ride by. Very valuable advice given to me and one I always think of when I ride.

Well done - welcome to the world of biking

Thread Information