Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info on Yamaha SRV250cc for anyone thinking of buying one to learn on

Bike
    2006 r6

Info on Yamaha SRV250cc for anyone thinking of buying one to learn on

Just thought I'd post some info on the Yamaha SRV250 as its not such a common bike for learning on. I bought a white srv250 from a dealer because i liked how it looked/styling.

So far mine gets 250kms per fill of petrol (91) and it costs about 8.60 to fill. That 250kms doesn't count the reserve tank.
    It goes 100kph steady no comfortably & can cruise no bother at 110...
    It weighs 140kg and is easy to handle even if you're light.
    I took it to port waikato last weekend and it cruised along with the other bikes no worries.
    It's awesome to commute on as it doesn't strain to go 100 and it handles loverly on the open road.
    Its got a slightly more agressive riding position than a cruiser but is more layed back than a road bike- which suited me becuase in the end I couldn't decide between the cruiser style and the road bike- being a learner I had no way to tell which i liked better. This bike is somewhere in between.
    It's naked so no big fairing bills when I gumbi it.. touch wood...
    It can lug me and a big heavy pillion about no bother either.
    It's sweet in grid lock and can grind along at walking speed (it doesn't lurch out of first gear etc..)
    Only thing is the gearbox is a bit rough sometimes- and finding eutral when it's hot is like searching for the holy grail... but these are minor imperfections in the face of the Vtwin delivering a bit more power.
    Don't know it's top speed as I haven't fanged it that hard yet and I can't say where it redlines or revs out as it aint got no rev. counter.

I get people hooting at me from the side of the road because they like the style and they think it's an old school bike- so most importantly it's been fun to own so far, and fun to ride.

Allegedly the SRV250's were $9000 when they were sold here in the 90's so because they were expensive they didn't sell well- but i'd rather have one second had than other bikes new dollar for dollar. mine was $3700 with 18000kms 1996. I know there's another one out there as I read a review on kiwi biker before i bought mine...

All in all SRV250's are speedie for thier vintage & are lovely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	justbike.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	9311  

Bike
    1997 Yamaha SRV250
    In fact there are another two on KB: mine and Yokai has one as well.

You get used to not finding neutral after a while, you just gotta remember when you are parked in gear :-)

Ang
    "More revs, more revs!"

Bike
    2006 r6

same SRV 250?

Quote Originally Posted by Mencius
    In fact there are another two on KB: mine and Yokai has one as well.
    :-)

Ang
    you got a photo of yours? is it the green or blue one with the yamaha monogramme on the petrol tank, or is it like mine? you get the same fuel economy as me?... i still haven't actually gone far enough for it to splutter, but 250 seems to be pretty near driving on fumes...

Bike
    1997 Yamaha SRV250
    Quote Originally Posted by surfchick
    you got a photo of yours? is it the green or blue one with the yamaha monogramme on the petrol tank, or is it like mine? you get the same fuel economy as me?... i still haven't actually gone far enough for it to splutter, but 250 seems to be pretty near driving on fumes...
    Mine's red (but not like a fire engine :-). If you search the posts I've made you'll find pics of it somewhere. It has the Yamaha symbol on the tank, not like your one at all.

I have no reserve tank, so I don't let it get to 250 km's (ie, when I found that out I was at 247km on the clock....). As for fuel economy I don't give a fat rat's arse as long as I have enough money in the bank to fill it up again :-)

Ang
    "More revs, more revs!"

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Very nice review - but where IS Yokai?

What have you people done with him?
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    1997 Yamaha SRV250
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2
    Very nice review - but where IS Yokai?

What have you people done with him?
    He's probably just trying to find neutral..........

Ang
    "More revs, more revs!"

Bike
    '90 GSXR250 in black
    it just looks, and from the sounds of it, performs like an sr250 (except with a disk brake) they aren't hot and you'll get sick of it and want something quicker, i know, i do! just saving up now for one, but not getting anywhere quickly (much like riding an sr250 really)

Bike
    1997 Yamaha SRV250
    Quote Originally Posted by gamgee
    it just looks, and from the sounds of it, performs like an sr250 (except with a disk brake) they aren't hot and you'll get sick of it and want something quicker, i know, i do! just saving up now for one, but not getting anywhere quickly (much like riding an sr250 really)
    Huh! I think I'm offended! :-)

The SRV has a lot of get-up and go in the right hands. And who needs to go faster than 140 kph, especially on a learners license?

That said, mine doesn't look much like Surfchick's........

Ang
    "More revs, more revs!"

Bike
    '90 GSXR250 in black
    sr250 has a top speed of 120, so not a lot of difference, the only reason they are good for learners is they are basically indistructable and aren't going to end up flipping if you dump the clutch

Bike
    2006 r6

Wink SRV & power

yeah- in the end this 250 isn't super powered- it can go 120 as a practicality- but it's not too pretty- as I passed someone today on the way to pauanui for a surf... she's getting pretty scratchy at 120 and bugger if I'm into fighting it out with any 250cc bike trying to get is to sit on anything faster for any length of time. I'm just keen to let ze learners bikes be learners bikes and move on when the time comes. The one thing i would say is that for windy roads the SRV seems nice and turney and fun, but on the straights your're definitely going to struggle to have any fun riding over 120 ( well it isn't my favourite passtime anyway; as this morning my knees were knocking and my teeth chattering from having to drive 20mins in fog just south of the bombays...thought i was going to shake straight off the bike). I think it's not such a bad idea that learners have to ride 250's cause i'd be tempted to go faster if the bike found it no bother- and I'm just too crap at riding...way too crap. Getting better but...

Bike
    2006 r6
    I think it has almost the same innards as the sr- I do want something quicker!! but it's not such a good idea right now since I've been warned I don't APEX properly... so still feeling pretty random technique-wise i got miles to learn. To give you some idea of my inability I am as faster than a van and an intercity bus- but slower than a hyundi family wagon at the moment through turns between Kopu and Hikuai. I bet NO-ONE on this site has confessed to such low riding prowess- but mark my words i'll let you know when I rise to the lofty heights of the cifero, the bongo wagon, the nissan vannett and beyond... however I am still al in one peice

Bike
    Ducati 02 ST2
    Sounds like you guys are having fun out there and thats what it's all about.
    My Duc is a shit for finding neutral, everyone else are in the bar and I'm still in the car park f#*ken neutral.
    SportsTouring DUCATI Style

Bike
    '90 GSXR250 in black
    the best way i've found, to find neutral, is to turn the bike off, then flick it in easy as, not sure if it would be that easy on all bikes, but it works on my sr when its being a bitch with it turned on

Bike
    2006 r6

slipping

the best way i've found, to find neutral, is to turn the bike off, then flick it in easy as, not sure if it would be that easy on all bikes, but it works on my sr when its being a bitch with it turned on
    if the bike's still running (at ze lights say...) put it in second then tap it gently down while splipping the clutch. it seems to drop in then. I have to do the same thing quite a bit to get it into first if i stop quick without working down through the gears as i go.

Bike
    '90 GSXR250 in black
    Quote Originally Posted by surfchick
    if the bike's still running (at ze lights say...) put it in second then tap it gently down while splipping the clutch. it seems to drop in then. I have to do the same thing quite a bit to get it into first if i stop quick without working down through the gears as i go.
    yeah that works too, hardly ever need to use neutral when the bike running though

Thread Information