Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Armour - Spine and body?

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Both. I think that the wearing of back packs (i.e. luggage attached to one's person) is dangerous and possibly a practice worthy of banning.
    Is it the impact resistance or abrasion resistance that you think is adversely affected? I'm guessing impact?

Is it that your concerned about someone coming off, sliding on their back, and then hitting something with their back and having the backpack contents rammed into their back?

Bike
    TR6SC,T100C,XR200,VFR400, RM125
    I often wear a back pack with my wet weather gear in it.
    I can't see it doing any damage, and thought it would be some extra padding over and above my back protector.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Bike
    XR200
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Is it the impact resistance or abrasion resistance that you think is adversely affected? I'm guessing impact?

Is it that your concerned about someone coming off, sliding on their back, and then hitting something with their back and having the backpack contents rammed into their back?
    I'm sure Hitcher will be along shortly but in the meantime, my mental picture is of a rider landing on his back which immediately twists and bends unnaturally because of the attached pack.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post

At the risk of irritating some easily offended members because I have dared to express a personal opinion, I think that landing hard on a backpack has a significant whiplash risk. A helmet adds at least 1.4kg to its wearer's head. That exacerbates moments of inertia which could see a broken neck, in addition to the spinal cord generally being bent the wrong way as it's stretched across the pack beneath.

Additional stresses and strains could come from the pack moving around, exerting leverage on shoulder joints, collarbones and arms generally by means of the shoulder straps.

And ATGATTers should realise that a backpack obscures any implied benefits from their fluoro vests.

I understand why some riders use backpacks, just as I understand why some people ride in shorts.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Thinking
    The Crash Dynamic is variable ATGATT is the winner on the day.

A backpack can......dependant on the crash dynamic, cause you to roll, ie the pack can turn an easy slide into a high speed roll (not good). Also what ever is in the back pack can cause an issue to, unfavourable, or dependant on the crash dynamic favourable........fuck who can tell.

But I see people putting cellphones and keys into there jacket pockets, dependant on the crash dynamic this can be a problem to.....but again who can tell.

Get the best you can afford and do yourself the favour and wear it.

there are a billion + situations in a crash dynamic, you cannot prepare for them all...........alot is about luck
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasievil View Post
    The Crash Dynamic is variable ATGATT is the winner on the day.

A backpack can......dependant on the crash dynamic, cause you to roll, ie the pack can turn an easy slide into a high speed roll (not good). Also what ever is in the back pack can cause an issue to, unfavourable, or dependant on the crash dynamic favourable........fuck who can tell.

But I see people putting cellphones and keys into there jacket pockets, dependant on the crash dynamic this can be a problem to.....but again who can tell.

Get the best you can afford and do yourself the favour and wear it.

there are a billion + situations in a crash dynamic, you cannot prepare for them all...........alot is about luck
    I bought a really tiny phone and a really skinny wallet for just these reasons.

My phone makes phone calls. It doesn't do any of the other useless shite modern phones do.

Buy Quasi's gear Winston. I'll vouch for it (you've seen me wear it)
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post

My phone makes phone calls. It doesn't do any of the other useless shite modern phones do.

McJim I said no I cant add you to the payroll sheesh !!!

wait till you guys see the new stuff just ordered and finished , QMOTO EDGE IS COMING !!
    I will get infracted for that I reckon
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post

Scotsman, skinny wallet ... och ay'th'noo
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Thread Information