Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Commuting on a classic

Bike
    ZZR1100 D7
    My mid 70s Beemer is in for a rewire at the moment but until recently I managed at least 3 days commute per week for over a decade.

Hope I can finish it soon so I can ride around all day with the headlight off! Pre 1980 an all that.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxB View Post
    My mid 70s Beemer is in for a rewire at the moment but until recently I managed at least 3 days commute per week for over a decade.

Hope I can finish it soon so I can ride around all day with the headlight off! Pre 1980 an all that.
    I got a 20 w halogen parking bulb for the Darmah ( same headlight as mid 70's beemers) nearly as bright as the low beam.
    Probably need a switch to kill it when the main light is off thougt.
    Repco do them, but need to order.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Testing out the hydraulic clutch conversion over the weekend.....works well, can find neutral easily.
    Rode it to work today....raining and its sitting in the rain....tempting the electrical Gods
    Heres a pic from my desk.... nice view and there are trees too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ET.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	241128  
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Geriatric Kwakas + dragqueen hyperscoot
    Quote Originally Posted by classic zed View Post
    I havent been able to ride my Z1300 for a couple of months due to back surgery but normally I ride it to work

Cant wait to get Project "Z" up and running
    I'm with ya on that one Brother! then I'll be selling Ducky and using the KZ1000 Ltd for everything bike related.
    feralconnection Ltd
    Leather lettering and seat rebuilds
    Gear alterations and repairs
    PM me and lets talk
    !

Bike
    1966 Triumph TR6
    Commute to work and back on the 66 Trumpy. About 60 miles a day. Was doing good till the new ignition system died (replaced under warranty). Covered 5000miles since end of April.

Bike
    AX100
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmoggy View Post
    Commute to work and back on the 66 Trumpy. About 60 miles a day. Was doing good till the new ignition system died (replaced under warranty). Covered 5000miles since end of April.
    Hehehe. 66 Trumpy having something replaced under warranty made me scratch my head for a sec...till I figured it. Am having a slow Saturday nite.....

I guess its not a Lucas but is acting like one? :P

Bike
    1966 Triumph TR6
    Yeah, Tri Spark ignition. 'Acting like Lucas' why did i never think of that line!

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    We should have a " Ride Your Classic to Work Day"..... take a pic by a landmark and post it in.....
    Trispark Ignitions...are they the ones that don't give the kick back/spit when you get it wrong?
    The Commando does that from time to time...get a big could of fuel vapour appearing....
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    70's Superbikes
    I have not had any problems with my Tri-Spark on the Commando. And it has never kicked back using this unit when it did on the Boyer.

Still commuting on my 79 Guzzi, kudos to everyone else doing it through winter too
    Blast From The Past Axis of Oil

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgyiti View Post
    I have not had any problems with my Tri-Spark on the Commando. And it has never kicked back using this unit when it did on the Boyer.

Still commuting on my 79 Guzzi, kudos to everyone else doing it through winter too
    I'd hardly call what you do commuting.....

I ride to work everyday on an everyday classic,all weathers and all states of inebriation. Remember when 21 speeds first came out? I don't,but the bike looks pretty old,and that's old enough for me.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    1966 Triumph TR6
    [QUOTE=Dodgyiti;1130096745]I have not had any problems with my Tri-Spark on the Commando. And it has never kicked back using this unit when it did on the Boyer.

Tri Spark is the best money i have ever spent on my bike. No kicking back, big blue spark, good advance curve with no pinking and none of the low voltage issues you get with a Boyer. Mr Kelly has sorted it and as soon as i finish a few jobs i'll screw the old girl back together.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Hmmm, might have to look at a Tri Spark Ignition. I got one of their 3 phase alternator stators and regulator, headlight on all the time no worries. May need to fit relays to keep Mr Lucas switchgear happy.

Bike
    1997 Honda VFR750
    "Commute!" How far IS your's Dodgy? 10 metres to the shed? lol

Bike
    1966 Triumph TR6
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Hmmm, might have to look at a Tri Spark Ignition. I got one of their 3 phase alternator stators and regulator, headlight on all the time no worries. May need to fit relays to keep Mr Lucas switchgear happy.
    I have a new old stock single phase lucas alt with a reg/rec. With Tri Spark i can use headlamp (55/60w halogen) all the time no probs. Talk direct to Steve Kelly, he is very helpfull.

Roy

Thread Information