Thread: another heated grips question

Bike
    2006 honda vtr1000f

Question another heated grips question

I have just tried to wire up my new oxford heated grips via the instructions from canyon chasers website with the distribution block but i appear to be having trouble.I have power through the block to the accessory points but for some reason the heated grip controller light flashes when i turn them on.
    It only lets me turn them on to 30% then the light flashes then turns off.
    Has anyone experienced this.The relay is switched from the rear light but according to canyon chasers this is acceptable.The Oxford instuctions say problems mat arise from using the lighting circuit.
    What do you guys think my trouble is?

Bike
    R100GSPD
    is this with the bike running,or just of the battery?

Bike
    BMW R1200GS (2010)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeled Gasman View Post
    I have just tried to wire up my new oxford heated grips via the instructions from canyon chasers website with the distribution block but i appear to be having trouble.I have power through the block to the accessory points but for some reason the heated grip controller light flashes when i turn them on.
    It only lets me turn them on to 30% then the light flashes then turns off.
    Has anyone experienced this.The relay is switched from the rear light but according to canyon chasers this is acceptable.The Oxford instuctions say problems mat arise from using the lighting circuit.
    What do you guys think my trouble is?
    Sounds to me like the controller is turning them off due to low voltage when the current draw increases (when you turn them up). A few questions:

* Does this happen with the bike running?
    * Does holding the bike at a couple of thousand RPM make any difference?
    * Does the relay "click" off when the controller LEDs go out?
    * How are you supplying the main power to the relay (not he switching power to the coil - but the power that is been switched and drives the grips?
    The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, he said.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Definitely sounds like you have the new digital grips (30% etc).

These will only turn on if the bike is running. From what you describe, you have tried to turn the grips on without the bike running (blue flashes, then goes off).

Also be aware with these grips, when you turn the bike off, the grips should go off, and turning the bike back on, the grips will stay off (until you turn them back on).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    I would agree with this statement.

BUT - if this is happening whilst the bike is running, then it means that you are overloading that particular relay. Try changing to the AUX circuit.

Bike
    2006 honda vtr1000f
    Thanks for your input guys.I just tried the grips again this morning, they started working fine first time, i then switched off and tried again only this time same fault appeared. I tried with bike running and fault diappeared again.Obviously a power supply fault that is rectified when bike is running.I should say that this problem never occurred when hooked staight to battery.
    But i am happy if this fault dissappears when the bike is running.
    Thanks again for helping out.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeled Gasman View Post
    I tried with bike running and fault diappeared again.Obviously a power supply fault that is rectified when bike is running.I should say that this problem never occurred when hooked staight to battery.
    That is a feature, not a bug. The grips will switch off when you stop the engine - thats how they are designed.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    2005 Repsol CBR1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    That is a feature, not a bug. The grips will switch off when you stop the engine - thats how they are designed.

Steve
    I've got the same grips and they're wired straight to the battery. They don't switch off with the bike and you can operate them fine regardless of whether the bike's running or not.
    Apparently the control unit has a built in safety mechanism that prevents them drawing too much from the battery in the event that you leave them on...I haven't tested this, I just always (so far) remember to turn them off. In the instructions it says if you leave them on it will leave enough juice in the battery for a restart.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Yeah I had a fairly rooted battery when I did it - probably why they karked it so early.

I ditched the controller and rewired my grips through the headlamp relay, so they are on when the engine is running, unless I actually unplug them. (the plug is easy to get at.)

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Thread Information