Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's amazing what you hear at 1.05am

Bike
    2008, GSR600K

It's amazing what you hear at 1.05am

I can hear a Morepork! It's really quite loud, must be close by. I live close to a whole lot of trees.

MOREPORK (Ruru) Ninox novaeseelandiae
    Size: 29cm.
    Range: Throughout main islands and many off-shore and outlying islands.
    Habitat: Native and exotic forests, also small patches of modified forest and exotic trees.
    Food: Insects, small mammals, birds and lizards.
    Voice: “Morepork” sometimes repeated and prolonged, and a variety of screeches and mewing calls.
    Breeding: October-November. Two to three white eggs.
    General: Wherever you live in New Zealand you’re almost bound to hear this little owl calling at night during the summer, provided there are enough trees around. It has the eerily silent flight that only owls can achieve. Fully protected.

I think I need to go to bed now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morepork.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	9319  
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    none
    Hehe Owls are cool. All I hear are drunken idiots yelling as they walk home. Nights like this I wish I had a tank for my paintball gun...

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    How nice.

We have one (or more, though have only seen one) here, in the middle of Auckland.

The plaintive call of the morepork is one of those endearing icons of New Zealand.

I love to take a night ride out into the silent countryside, stop the bike on a quiet hilltop, and just look and listen to the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    '96 suzuki GSF600s,'86 CBR400R Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    How nice.

We have one (or more, though have only seen one) here, in the middle of Auckland.

The plaintive call of the morepork is one of those endearing icons of New Zealand.

I love to take a night ride out into the silent countryside, stop the bike on a quiet hilltop, and just look and listen to the night.
    got 1 here in west aucks too
    lol dont wanna take me with ya?? lol tis a cool thing to do
    asked Mom if I was a gifted child ... she said they certainly wouldn't have paid for me.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Mmmm morepork.

I have a lovely recipe.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

It's always nice to have a Morepork in the neighbourhood,but getting less common in the city.One night,when I lived in the bush around Titirangi,I was out wandering at night,dragging a piece of rope I found along behind - I turned around and saw a Morepork chasing the rope like a kitten,it was freaky...it was completely silent,just ghosting in and out as it swooped on the rope.I like em...
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    It's always nice to have a Morepork in the neighbourhood,but getting less common in the city.One night,when I lived in the bush around Titirangi,I was out wandering at night,dragging a piece of rope I found along behind - I turned around and saw a Morepork chasing the rope like a kitten,it was freaky...it was completely silent,just ghosting in and out as it swooped on the rope.I like em...
    In Africa any form of owl is considered a blessing when they come into close proximaty to you... it is said, you will be blessed with wisdom and a long healthy life!

CSL: Heres hoping to that being true.
    Motu: That morepork was so close to you Im sure we will help you celebrate you 100th...

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2
    Mmmm morepork.

I have a lovely recipe.
    They taste a bit like kiwi, but without that characteristic tang.

We've got about 6-8 moreporks around our place. They keep getting closer to the house...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Hmmm, morepork. Who named them??
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    xs400 -
    WEll .. I ree-fuse to givin untill they say pleese ..

COm-mon curtessy goesa loong way ...
    THe hand's farster than the eye ... keepan eye onda feet .. .

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Um.... You were out late at night draggin' a piece of old rope.... No one else thinks this is odd? Walking your invisible dog? You really are a worry mate.

Not surprisingly we have a lot of the critters around our place too...

I walk Bo on the beach in the dark over winter. We see heaps of wild life, penguins, seals, rabbits (on the beach too), hedgehogs, mice, birds (lots birdies), Eels, baby flounder and other assorted fishes (in the creek)

Hmm.. A nice game rissotto?

Cheers

Bike
    Triumph Sprint ST
    Have you any idea how much old rope costs?

He had the luck to find an unattended piece and he was just taking it home.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bungbung
    Have you any idea how much old rope costs?

He had the luck to find an unattended piece and he was just taking it home.
    Seems natural enough to me. Those ropes are perverse brutes. No matter how much you tell them to get in behind and follow you, they will take off the bushes . You have to drag them along

I could do with some ropes, any idea where I can catch some. I don't mind dragging them home.
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    xs400 -
    HEmp rodes da best ...
    THe hand's farster than the eye ... keepan eye onda feet .. .

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by wari
    HEmp rodes da best ...

It is , indeed , for many purposes. It is very annoying that it can no longer be obtained..

Thread Information