Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Countersteering advice...

Bike
    POS 750cc+ bike, Suzuki DRZ400
    I'm with that guy...

Counter steering seems to be really important to learn. Sure we do it naturally. it's just that when you understand it and practise getting control over the bike it gives you so much more options.

My thoughts are;

- practise counter steering
    (when you get this sorted move to)
    - practise changing your line through the corner by counter steering.
    (it's really useful stuff when you find a large stone or pot hole in your line, you can steer the bike (while leaned over) around the object rather than hitting a large rock and going down the road or hitting a pothole and unsettling the bike.
    (when you get this sorted move to)

- practise increasing your turn in speed. you see once you get the idea of counter steering you realise you can come up to a corner countersteer firmly and quickly, diving the bike down to the height you want, do the corner and throw the bike back up again. Doing this means you will dramatically lift your corner speed for any given maximum lean angle you use. Practise until you can dive your bike to the lean angle you want. This takes a little practise to find. You will need a lot more speed, or you'll need to drop the bike in later and pull it up sooner, or have less lean angle.
    (so this countersteering skill and the ability to fire the bike up adn down quickly is life saving knowledge.)
    (Once you have this sorted)

- practise braking firmly on a dry road or carpark and when you've got the front loaded, countersteer the bike gently. Some folks when they overcook a corner hit the brakes and shoot of the road. When in fact they could have turned the corner. Understanding you can steer while braking will give you the transition from hard on braking to turning. Be gentle with this you just want to get the idea it can be done.
    - lastly you've gone to all this trouble I'd take the time to learn to brake;
    - so that would be loading up the front before applying the brakes hard.
    - and braking without loading up the bars, taking the weight through your legs and the seat (gripping the tank). You should be able to brake hard with relaxed arms.

For those that say don't worry about it I think you need to make a decision whether you want to be able to control your bike well and therefore have a far better chance of survival when things go wrong or not.

It seems you already made the decision.

P.S. With countersteering try pushing and pulling. I've found pulling far more effective. With the push the arm is at full extension and weaker is my guess. Logically a push-pull would be good. If you're finding the left harder it may be that your pushing on the right at the same time. This often happens with riders where they focus on the push and forget they are fighting the other arm. Both arms need to move not just one. One pushes while the other relaxes or pulls. You're steering the bike not pushing a lever.

Personally since you've decided to figure out how it all works I think you should ignore the well meaning but ignorant advice of those that say don't worry about it. Their advice is based on their lack of knowledge of never learning to do this stuff. I think if you asked every rider that took the time to learn this they'll say they're riding improved dramatically, they're ability to act when things went wrong improved dramatically as well. You'd never ask someone that had only ever riden a 125 what they recommend for riding a 1000cc bike. Likewise I wouldn't listen to the advice from riders who know nothing about the experience of using techniques of motorcycle control and haven't bothered to learn them, have never mastered them and don't have an inkling of the benefits.

That's my thoughts.
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single motorcycle

Click here for: - Changing Dyslexia, Depression, Anxiety, Trauma, Phobia's, Allergies etc

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned View Post
    You're right, letters on a screen don't show my powers of mind-over-matter. Once I have fully developed these capabilities I too will be able to ride a bike without countersteering and I truly expect to be able corner like Rossi by sight alone.
    ok now I'm on your page

Bike
    Megelli 250r 2011
    Well, I went home down the coast road last night, added a whole hour to my ride home That road really is awesome for learning countersteering on, 50K's all the way and loads of corners; the wind can be a little hard to deal with sometimes but I live in welly so that's just another thing I need to learn how to handle...

I spent the first 30 minutes of the ride just observing myself countersteering until I had a better mental picture of what I was meant to be doing and then I started doing it deliberately. It's a bit odd going from leaning over and then countersteering the bike to your lean angle to countersteering and then leaning to match the angle of the bike; it took a little getting used to but after 4-5 corners it was feeling more natural. I also tried changing my line with the throttle rather than the bars a couple of times which is something I could probably do with a bit more practice on but it seems to be easy enough (bear in mind this is a 50 area around gentle bends for the most part, not 100k's round blind hairpins down a mountain!)

So, all in all the countersteering thing is starting to click, a bit more practice and I'll be using countersteering to go into a corner naturally rather than 'just leaning'. Getting to go home along the coast every day it awesome as well

The advice I've got from you guys is brilliant, often contradictory of course but I've been taking the advice that means something to me and using it, pretty much everyone who's contributed to this thread has had a little nugget of brilliance so thanks again guys, I'd be a much less confident rider without you lot!

And on the confidence front, the better I feel about countersteering the more confident my riding is becoming; whether it's just psychological or I really do have more control over the bike remains to be seen but either way it's doing me a lot of good

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmonkey View Post
    And on the confidence front, the better I feel about countersteering the more confident my riding is becoming; whether it's just psychological or I really do have more control over the bike remains to be seen but either way it's doing me a lot of good
    Just wanted to comment on this bit...

Good to see you taking on board good advice, trying it out for yourself and putting it into practice.
    You are getting to the stage that you are controlling the bike, rather than being along for the ride and hoping what you want to bike to do will happen. Naturally, this feeling of more complete control will lead to confidence. The danger of this is that confidence does not equal competence, so please remember that. Practice and improvement never ends.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Megelli 250r 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Just wanted to comment on this bit...

Good to see you taking on board good advice, trying it out for yourself and putting it into practice.
    You are getting to the stage that you are controlling the bike, rather than being along for the ride and hoping what you want to bike to do will happen. Naturally, this feeling of more complete control will lead to confidence. The danger of this is that confidence does not equal competence, so please remember that. Practice and improvement never ends.
    Nah, you're completely wrong, I'm currently the best rider in Wellington and I'll be the best in the country within the month

Kidding of course

Seriously though, at the moment I'm still keeping to 50 areas and my top speed so far is slightly north of 80, I know I've got a whole long way to go before I start thinking of myself as a biker, let alone feeling comfortable on 2 wheels. Still, I'm finding the practicing great fun so I'll be doing it for a while yet

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmonkey View Post
    Seriously though, at the moment I'm still keeping to 50 areas and my top speed so far is slightly north of 80
    Care to elaborate? Surely you are not doing 80+ in 50 zones?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Megelli 250r 2011
    Care to elaborate? Surely you are not doing 80+ in 50 zones?
    Nah, there's a little stretch of 70 zone on the way up the Ohiro road which I've been using, it's helping me get to grips with how the bike handles at different speeds quite nicely and as you can see the whole stretch of road you know there's nothing coming the other way

Bike
    Not wanting to sound like I'm preaching, but keep your speed appropriate to the speed limit where you are. Get it wrong, and it will hurt financially or physically. I'm no fan of the L plater's 70km thing, and it's good to familiarise yourself with different speeds and how that affects you, just make those steps small ones. And don't give the cops any reason to 'have you'...

Bike
    Megelli 250r 2011
    Not wanting to sound like I'm preaching, but keep your speed appropriate to the speed limit where you are. Get it wrong, and it will hurt financially or physically. I'm no fan of the L plater's 70km thing, and it's good to familiarise yourself with different speeds and how that affects you, just make those steps small ones. And don't give the cops any reason to 'have you'...
    The 80+ was more about me not keeping an eye on the speedo than me trying to ring out 3rd gear, it's not something that happens often as I'm not really comfortable going past 70ish yet but there are bound to be slips, that was just the highest one so far. I really think that if a cop was sat behind me they'd think I was the slowest bike on the road and try to overtake me rather than pulling me over!

Bike
    You have much to learn, young Padawan.

Bike
    Megelli 250r 2011
    heh, yeah, I'm totally getting that!

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    You'll be right bro. Just say to yourself as you get on the bike, and right before corners "steer with the bars plz".

And thats all it is - everywhere you go, just only ever steer with the bars. Within only one month it will be automatic, and in the event of an emergency to your utter amazement the bike will lay itself way the hell over and dart right around the obstacle. Watch other bikers following congratulate you then!!

Thats all. Do it everywhere until it's second nature.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Megelli 250r 2011
    well, i rode home down the coast last night, got up early and rode in that way again this morning as well

That countersteering is really coming along well, I'm able to pick a line and change it mid curve (for manhole covers and the like) and I've started countersteering rather than just turning without having to tell myself to do it first which is great. It also means I can go into a corner faster, with more control and a heap more confidence. There's still a lot of work to be done and I'm still bumbling around 50 areas so maybe the term 'faster' is a bit out of place but you get the idea

The wind became a bit of a problem this morning though, pretty much blew me over a couple of time and I really thought I was going to bin it coming around a corner and having about 20Ks scrubbed off by the icy blast!

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Some people find it easier to pull (yea - all right - settle down) rather than push. For this to work, you must pull on the opposite side to the one on which you push. Following me?
    I've found that works for me - Jantar said counter-steering like this is not uncommon.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Megelli 250r 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    I've found that works for me - Jantar said counter-steering like this is not uncommon.
    Ah, I forgto to mention the important things I noticed on my ride this morning, maybe they'll be useful to someone else. Anyways, If I tell myself to relax my shoulders and keep my elbows in line with the rest of me I can countersteer fine, when I'm tensed up or pointing my elbows out to my sides (usually both at the same time) I cock things up...

Thread Information