Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Countersteering advice...

Bike
    Megelli 250r 2011

Countersteering advice...

righty then! Time for me to make yet another noob post asking for advice

So, I went out for a ride down the coast after work last night (windy as fuck but that's a whole other topic right there) and when I had enough visibility of the road ahead I thought it would be a good idea to play around with counter steering. Somethig very strange happened, I can countersteer to the right and got plenty of practice in doing that which was useful, but when it come to countersteering to the left my left arm goes completely rigid! I actually have to make a conscious effort to drop my shoulder and relax my arm before I can consciously do it. If I turn off the brain and 'just lean' I know that I much be using countersteering or I wouldn't get around the corner; the second I try and do it consciously I completely lock up

So, other than practice, practice, practice; has anyone experienced this before and got any useful advice? or if you'd just like to take the piss feel free

Bike
    FZR 400
    surely the idea is that you shouldn't have to think about, hence n.p
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Some Kiwibiker threads contain such a wealth of fuckwittery that they should in some way be permanently removed from the digital domain, carved onto stone tablets and then launched into space to scare the living shit out of any hostile alien species that may be lurking nearby

Bike
    Suzuki Fatboy
    Relax your whole body when countersteering....stiff doesn't work so well

It's all in the hips...

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Some people find it easier to pull (yea - all right - settle down) rather than push. For this to work, you must pull on the opposite side to the one on which you push. Following me?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Some people find it easier to pull (yea - all right - settle down) rather than push. For this to work, you must pull on the opposite side to the one on which you push. Following me?
    And some people just dont like going round left-hand corners....
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmonkey View Post
    I actually have to make a conscious effort to drop my shoulder and relax my arm before I can consciously do it. If I turn off the brain and 'just lean' I know that I much be using countersteering or I wouldn't get around the corner; the second I try and do it consciously I completely lock up
    This is EXACTLY why you should have done this lesson on your very first 70km/hr ride.

What you have done, is imprinted on your brain, you own personal "way" of steering. This happened when you used your own method and then allowed yourself time to consolidate it, and now this is what your brain will revert to in an emergency. When you try to force yourself to do what you now know to be the right way - your brain will act to prevent you.

I don't think you will be able to rectify this. No amount of practice will undo that imprint. Prove me wrong though, if you can, and then tell me how you did it.

This reminds me of a movie I saw some years ago, where some chopper pilot in the military was unable to use his left eye on the viewfinder/targetty thing, so they taped a periscope to his targetting eye and put him in a jeep and forced to steer around the base for hours at lightspeed until he "got it." The poor cunt was terrified out of his brains, but he sorted his eye, er.. brain, out.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Megelli 250r 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Yeah, I'm very much a rightist, I think that all left hand corners are inferior and should be replaces by a series of right handers instead. In the near future I will be arranging a protest and maybe some 'direct action' to put this point accross

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmonkey View Post
    Yeah, I'm very much a rightist, I think that all left hand corners are inferior and should be replaces by a series of right handers instead. In the near future I will be arranging a protest and maybe some 'direct action' to put this point accross
    I'm actually serious....

I dont know if its an inner-ear/balance issue ... or what. Some (like me) prefer, and feel more comfortable, on right hand bends.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Valid point, after my run on Sunday I'm 5mm off the edge on the right of the tyre & on the edge on the left. It may be a visibility/road surface thing.
    I'm still not convinced that counter steering comes into play unless your really pushing on though. I turn my head, my bike turns. Would moving your body weight into a corner, i.e lifting the bike slightly as you move over & lower the C of G be considered counter steering? This action pushes against the gyroscopic effect which keeps the bike straight & allows the bike to turn in with no steering effort. Again I only do this when I'm in the mood to get stuck into the corners.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Dude a part of your problem may very well be the shape of your handlebars. A set of bars with a flatter angle on them might fix things for ya
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    I'm actually serious....

I dont know if its an inner-ear/balance issue ... or what. Some (like me) prefer, and feel more comfortable, on right hand bends.
    No, it's an Antipodean thing.
    Most/many riders in the OtherPartOfTheWorld prefer,and feel more comfortable, on left-hand bends.

As for your counter-steering practice, Mr magicofmonkey, Sir - forget about it. Concentrate on leading through the corner with your inside shoulder (point it into the corner), and on looking through the corner.
    And try not to think so much. Feel the corner you must. Be at one with the curve. Wax on, wax off. Ying-tong-iddle-i-po.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Valid point, after my run on Sunday I'm 5mm off the edge on the right of the tyre & on the edge on the left. It may be a visibility/road surface thing.
    I'm still not convinced that counter steering comes into play unless your really pushing on though. I turn my head, my bike turns. Would moving your body weight into a corner, i.e lifting the bike slightly as you move over & lower the C of G be considered counter steering? This action pushes against the gyroscopic effect which keeps the bike straight & allows the bike to turn in with no steering effort. Again I only do this when I'm in the mood to get stuck into the corners.
    No matter what you think you are doing...if you are travelling at more than 15/20kph...you must countersteer to turn. How you achieve it is up to you, but you are momentarily getting the front to turn microscopically in the 'wrong' direction, which tips the tyre onto the side that you turn in. A push or pull on the bars is the most effective way to achieve this. Anything else is too 'soft' to allow snappy course changes.
    Last edited by MSTRS; 14th October 2009 at 10:52.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    CBR600RR, WR250 smoker
    I wouldnt get to cut up about it. counter steering isnt all that important until you start getting a good bit of pace on.

it is a good habit to get into but dont stress and fixate on the fact that you find it difficult or it will become a problem.

If it really is stressing you out, send me a message and we can go to a ‘practise spot’ I know that is not a public road and set up a track.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    No, it's an Antipodean thing.
    Most/many riders in the OtherPartOfTheWorld prefer,and feel more comfortable, on left-hand bends.

As for your counter-steering practice, Mr magicofmonkey, Sir - forget about it. Concentrate on leading through corner with your inside shoulder (point it into the corner), and on looking through the corner.
    And try not to think so much. Feel the corner you must. Be at one with the curve. Wax on, wax off. Ying-tong-iddle-i-po.
    Here here, pass the cocoa.

Bike
    Megelli 250r 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    This is EXACTLY why you should have done this lesson on your very first 70km/hr ride.

What you have done, is imprinted on your brain, you own personal "way" of steering. This happened when you used your own method and then allowed yourself time to consolidate it, and now this is what your brain will revert to in an emergency. When you try to force yourself to do what you now know to be the right way - your brain will act to prevent you.

I don't think you will be able to rectify this. No amount of practice will undo that imprint. Prove me wrong though, if you can, and then tell me how you did it.
    Nah, I don't go for that reasoning at all, I've got so much to learn that it'll become second nature eventually. I mean, when I first started driving I couldn't corner for beans and my gear changes were appalling, these days my changes are smooth and I get around corners rather well.

Over the winter I got the chance to go on the Irishmans rally in a ford model A, the accelerator is the middle pedal and the brake is on the right, double de-clutching, drum brakes on the front wheels etc. I had to completely change my driving co-ordination and it took about 5 minutes to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    This reminds me of a movie I saw some years ago, where some chopper pilot in the military was unable to use his left eye on the viewfinder/targetty thing, so they taped a periscope to his targetting eye and put him in a jeep and forced to steer around the base for hours at lightspeed until he "got it." The poor cunt was terrified out of his brains, but he sorted his eye, er.. brain, out.

Steve
    Bet that was a pom idea!!!

Thread Information