Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Well bikers are screwed - ACC levy

Bike
    Lil Tricycle
    Quote Originally Posted by BecsBerr View Post
    you gotta remember though too, that current $250 odd they are quoting is just the acc levy part of your licensing fee...

A bike over 61cc is currently $300 odd per year to register, so if you've got a 1000cc bike, you're not just going up to $750 per year, your gonna be looking at an extra $100 or so ontop of that for the other costs included in your licensing fee!!!!

So be budgeting a cool $850-900 a year to license your bikes!! How is the average NZ'der supposed to afford that!

And yes of course accidents involving bikes cost ACC more. Duh, bikes don't have a metal box to protect the rider... hence worse injuries. Which from my experience with friends is usually the person in the metal box on wheels' fault for not blimmin looking!!!

I thought the stats were that pedistrians and cyclists actually use the most ACC per year than any other road user.....
    Unsure of that at this stage but good point, could be the case.

Bike
    Bobbie Bandit, Willy Tilly
    Well, I'll probably sell my bike and buy a full-carbon cycle. I can't be seen putting around with my over-enlarged colon flapping about in the breeze, that's just embarassing.
    Some people just can't seem to comprehend that they do not have the right to be unoffended in their lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Max View Post
    Watching your wife giving birth is like watching your favourite pub burn down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Max View Post
    I can roll a turd that reaches 15kg before it snaps off my arse

Bike
    Buell XB12X Ulysses
    Blog Entries
    Oh FFS, this is just ridiculous. Considering that most jappa 6-hundy sprot bikes are faster than the Buell, I cannot see how they've worked the numbers out without a power/weight calculation in the mix.

And pricing commuters off the roads? I wonder if NZ Bus has done a deal with ACC in order to break the drivers strike

Is this going to be open for submissions though, or is it a done deal with no outside conferring?
    "Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed..."
    - Page 14 of the Buell Owners Manual

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    fellas and fellesses.
    Huh? Is that correct. Sounds dodgy to me.
    How about, "fellaters and fellatees" for dodginess, huh? Pretty dodgy, woontchasay?

As for the ACC hike, meh. Or if you like (or even if you don't): waah. [shrugs]
    Snot like it's any real surprise. Gotta pay to keep the bureaucracy runnning somehow.

My expensive communter toy just got more expensive (more exclusive too?) Those of you who were paying attention (uh... so that'll be none of you. Teriffic...) will recall I worked out my toy cost me about $20k over the last five years, or around $1 per killermeter. More fun than the bus, at a slightly dearer fare...
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Krayy View Post
    Is this going to be open for submissions though, or is it a done deal with no outside conferring?
    Submissions closed October 2nd.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    Quote Originally Posted by BecsBerr View Post
    And yes of course accidents involving bikes cost ACC more. Duh, bikes don't have a metal box to protect the rider... hence worse injuries. Which from my experience with friends is usually the person in the metal box on wheels' fault for not blimmin looking!!!
    Actually, you aren't quite right there. That nice metal box will keep you alive, not from getting hurt altogether. Intensive care patients and patients with chronic disabilities are the ones that cost a lot. A motorcyclist hugging a tree at 100+ km/h isn't really that expensive.

Also, you crashing your motorcycle isn't very likely to cause injury to more than one or maybe two people. Of course there are the odd ones out - but there you go.
    It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Bike
    Lil Tricycle
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDownUnder View Post
    When does it take effect - or has it already?
    Progessively over the next couple of years, if I am not wrong.

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    Huh? Is that correct. Sounds dodgy to me.
    How about, "fellaters and fellatees" for dodginess, huh? Pretty dodgy, woontchasay?

As for the ACC hike, meh. Or if you like (or even if you don't): waah. [shrugs]
    Snot like it's any real surprise. Gotta pay to keep the bureaucracy runnning somehow.
    I'll have a fellachino with extra fluff thanks
    It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    No , that was the Road Strategy 2020. Part of the Ministry of Transport.

This is ACC, different ministry. But I'm not sure if they need to allow submissions, it's like tax increases you don't get a say.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Bikes!
    Well, the only way forward is clear.

Here starts the KB campaign to kill Mr Smiths children.

He can take something from you, but we'll take something from him.

Bike
    It's too fast for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Ahh, but with fuel tax you pay based on the amount of fuel you use. Most motorcycles use a lot less fuel than cars, and trucks have a separate tax.

And off-roaders still use petrol.
    My trumpy is no better on fuel than a 2 litre car. So I am travelling the same per Kms/ltr as a heavier more road affecting car yet pay the same rate of tax, not sure of your logic mate, seems like a subsidy to me???

Bike
    Boulevard, Ducati.

This is beyond bullshit...

Quote Originally Posted by PirateJafa View Post
    Right, if nobody else will, I'll organise a fucking Hikoi down to Parliament against this bullshit. for it.
    I'm keen, insurance is already kicking me in the balls with $1200 a year for my SV!

Quote Originally Posted by Slyer View Post
    This is completely unbelievable!
    Three FUCKING TIMES the cost.
    For EACH bike.

I just checked to make sure it wasn't April fools day...

The government officially hates motorcyclists.
    They have done for years, now its just blatant what they're doing... Suck them dry untill they can't afford them, have to sell them, to make a nice little motorcycle-less NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeqe2000 View Post
    That is an absolute disgrace - I don't consider my 650cc SV a 'big bike'

But going up to over $700 per year - no way. Something has to be done here !
    Neither do I!

And none of this petition crap either!

Quote Originally Posted by SpankMe View Post
    Fuck me. John Judge & Nick Smith, you fucking brainless cocks!

So whats the fine for riding without a reg? Must be cheaper.
    Looking like a good option for many now...

Bike
    Lil Tricycle
    Come ooooon you all voted National in. Someone has to pay the bills and usually the taxpayers.

Bike
    RF900R
    Outrageous. Typical blinkered thinking. Out of those "16 times more likely" accidents how many are due to faults by cars. Perhaps organising mass SLOW rides down main arterial routes within the country. It could be tied in with visits to MP offices etc.
    Once again why is recreational sport not also levied...big users of ACC.
    How did that Nats ever think their tax cuts where going to work? They are either incompetent or outright liars or both.
    I follow the 50/50/90 rule.
    Anytime I have a 50/50 chance of getting it right there is a 90% probability I will get it wrong

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    Did they make it a secret squirrel thing that you had to decipher? How the hell did that slip under the radar? I can't believe a lot of noise wasn't made about it before then.

I know bikes are a lifestyle choice but wouldn't this have a huge impact on the industry or do I just have blinkers on?

Thread Information