Page 65 of 70 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Well bikers are screwed - ACC levy

Bike
    Cagiva Raptor 650, ZX-10R
    Quote Originally Posted by dipshit View Post
    waaaa... waaaa... which is just more whingeing and moaning.
    Man, you really live up to your nick...
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bend-it View Post
    Man, you really live up to your nick...
    So enough whinging and moaning, what do we as a bikers community do and when. How do we engage in a strong response back to the governement and make them reconsider.
    Ride Safe . . . . SixftFive

Bike
    None
    Also when ACC spout the bullshit "Car drivers are covering you by $77 each" don't they know that of course they're covering us, they're covering the cyclists and pedestrians on the sidewalk too. Simply because of the fact there's a SHIT load more cars then bikes...

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    Suzuki GSF 1200S Bandit
    Well theres a facebook group too called "Bikers Unite Against ACC Levy Hikes" but not many bikers on it yet

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana_Jones View Post
    Also when ACC spout the bullshit "Car drivers are covering you by $77 each" don't they know that of course they're covering us, they're covering the cyclists and pedestrians on the sidewalk too. Simply because of the fact there's a SHIT load more cars then bikes...

-Indy
    Yeah, that claim got up my nose too. Don't forget that politicians have spin doctors and they are good at their job. Stat's get juggled at will and they could make the Pope look like a criminal if they tried. (Ok, maybe he is, but you get my drift.)

$69million is sporting injuries last year, so who subsidises who?

Bike
    09 Duke 690
    If bikes have levels of ACC then maybe ACC levies should be higher on older cars too as they are more dangerous than newer cars? or on more powerful cars? or on 4wd's because they are more likely to roll? or on convertibles? or the age of the driver? or location in NZ?
    So something like this,
    age x power x height x body style x age of driver x location = acc levy
    Lets set the muppets at ACC try and work that one out....

Only problem there is new cars have more power than old cars, here I was thinking my 3 year old WRX with its 4 airbags, ABS, 4WD, advanced crumple zones all mean nothing because its far more dangerous as it has a 2.5lt turbo and not a 1.6lt, maybe I should get something older with less power so I'm safer in an accident?

In the words of Juan-Manuel Fangio "Brakes they only slow you down"

Bike
    VFR400 NC30 "Silver Surfer"

-Indy
    And apart from you, almost every biker here will ALSO have a car?

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Lets set the muppets at ACC try and work that one out....
    Agree with what you're saying. The problem is that in order to "work it out" anything other than taking the easy pickings of motorcyclists becomes liable for their "too hard basket". Much easier "solution" in their eyes is to fleece us.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    09 Duke 690
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    Agree with what you're saying. The problem is that in order to "work it out" anything other than taking the easy pickings of motorcyclists becomes liable for their "too hard basket". Much easier "solution" in their eyes is to fleece us.
    Yeh thats it, we are easy to target.
    In the words of Juan-Manuel Fangio "Brakes they only slow you down"

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by jono035 View Post
    And apart from you, almost every biker here will ALSO have a car?
    And they shouldn't be paying ACC twice....

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    VFR400 NC30 "Silver Surfer"
    And they shouldn't be paying ACC twice....

-Indy
    Well, my point was more that bikers can be pretty much considered a subset of car drivers, and are possibly more likely to get their jollies on a bike and then be slower in a car?

Just trying to think up arguments that may actually mean something to the public rather than the people saying 'there is no point doing this, we just won't pay' which means we're seen as people who are costing the taxpayers shitloads and whining about the bill.

I'd rather people realised that we aren't the massive money-sink that we're currently being painted as...

Bike
    L0 GSXR-R 1000 #87
    where are those mods? this thread needs editing big time, the dribble makes it impossible to read and I'm not reading anymore.
    Firestarter Racing on facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirestarterRacing

Racing thanks to:

www.fluidcoatings.co.nz
    www.motostyle.co.nz
    MAXIMA racing Oils
    www.projectdigital.co.nz
    METZELER Tires
    New Plymouth Motorcycle Center
    www.topstitch.co.nz/

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by jono035 View Post
    Just trying to think up arguments that may actually mean something to the public rather than the people saying 'there is no point doing this, we just won't pay' which means we're seen as people who are costing the taxpayers shitloads and whining about the bill.

Not really just about the money, it's about abstract things like justice and equity 'n stuff , which a lot of people laugh at , but some of us think important (that's not aimed at you BTW). Bikers tend to be among the latter group.

People are talking about riding to Wellington from Aukland or Sth Island. With fuel accomodation, let alone time off work, that'll come to more than the increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSXR 750

ACC Debate and suggestions to who should be liable.

Hi there guys

I thought of some suggestions for why we shouldn't pay the increased ACC Levy and have a few suggestions as to who might start paying for it.

Please read http://www.stuff.co.nz/natinal/29693...ike-levy-logic if you haven't already done so.

REASONS WE SHOULDN'T PAY FOR HIGER REGISTRATION:
    1) There is no evidence to suggest that the bigger bikes result in more accidents thus they should be paying higher registration fees for ACC.
    (The above article indicates that 43% of police reports didn't give cc rating, the other 57% did and were 250cc - THUS INCONCLUSIVE)

2) There were 1475 motorcycle accidents last year which includes farm bike accidents and motorcross accidents.

3) Of all the motorcycle accidents 67% of road crashes involved other vehicles. Of that 67% - 60% were caused by the other driver not the motorcylcist!

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS TO THIS PROBLEM!:
    1) Motorcross and trials riders pay an ACC Levy as part of their racing license registration!
    Any person who buys a trail bike for riding only in trial ride events competition is required to pay an annual registration fee as well.
    The organisation running the meeting should also have to pay an ACC Levy if they are already then bump it up some more.

2) All bikes pay an equal registration of $350 or $400 per annum.
    Perhaps a varied registration coud be determined on number of km per annum.

3) Where an injury crash is reported the driver of the vehicle at fault is required to pay an ACC fine of upto $500 depending on seriousness of crash.
    If driver at fault is taken to Court then Court awards the fine to ACC.

4) Every vehicle must be insured before a WOF or Registration is obtained (like in the UK and Canada) and must have liablility insurance.

5) Add a 3 cents a litre to petrol for ACC purposes.

Now these are merely thoughts and possible suggestions to a crazy and unjustified hike in registration fees for motorcyclists. Something to think about.

Bike
    VFR400, ZX9R, GSXR750, ZXR750, TRX850

-Indy
    Not to mention the bikers that own fucken cars too.

I just do not understand how one person owning multiple vehicles (even both bikes and cars) for some reason must pay their ACC levy multiple times to insure their single self that can only use one vehicle at a time.

Thread Information