Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1036

Thread: Well bikers are screwed - ACC levy

Bike
    XR200
    Quote Originally Posted by Naki Rat View Post
    It is becoming increasingly obvious that the government intends to open up some ACC 'Accounts' to privatisation.

The government is preparing ACC Accounts for sale......
    Not exactly but its up for discussion. No sale, but competition for work accident insurance. Personally I oppose it and doubt any private insurance company could be as effective as ACC.

Bike
    My little Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinmil View Post
    Motorcycling is not only an economical form of travel with a lower environmental and urban profile, but a SPORT, at least according to ACC, who list it in their Section 20 Sport Claims list, in the ACC injury statistics of 2008.
    This list tells us Motorcycling accidents cost the country $7.227 million dollars in 2007.

It also tells us:-

- Cycling cost us $10.447 million
    - Horse Riding $ 9.14 million
    - Netball $11.496 million
    - Swimming $10.055 million
    - Soccer $14.156 million
    - Skiing $ 8.004 million
    - Motocross & Dirt Biking $ 8.17 million
    - Rugby Union $40.041 million
    - Rugby League $10.648 million

Should Motorcycling be unique in being the only recreational activity in NZ to be asked to fund itself through exhorbitant fees just because it's functional aspect makes it liable for registration costs from which extraction of fees is relatively easy?

Should Motorcycling be targeted as an especially dangerous activity that needs discouraging by punitive charges, even though a large number of recreational activities in NZ are statistically more dangerous but that have no useful and therefore taxable component?

Should vehicles that use less resource, generate less CO2 and use less space on the road and in parking be actively discouraged?

Should motorcycling be penalised for a monstrous cost blow-out in the ACC, $4.18 Billion in, $23.78Billion Out.
    (ACC Annual Report 2009)

The repeated assertion that cars are subsidising motorcycling is a red herring that masks the entire ACC Motor Vehicle Account cost blowout of $6.845 Billion claims against a net levy revenue of $739 Million, of which motorcycling is only a miniscule fraction.

If Motorcycling is not being scapegoated why is car registration not being increased pro rata for it's lack of levy income to cover it's proportionately higher percentage of the Motor Vehicle Account Funding shortfall?

Has the private outsourcing for accident care helped to contribute to this cost blowout?

Also from the ACC Annual Report of 2009
    "The past year has seen a further increase in the risk premiums that investors have required for risky investments such as equities"
    "...all significant developed equity markets again produced negative returns during 2008-2009."
    "... a significant portion of ACC's reserves portfolios are invested in equity markets."
    "ACC's reserves portfolios delivered an average return of 3.2% over the year.
    While this result is significantly above our market benchmarks, it is slightly below the return that could have been achieved from low risk fixed interest investments over the year."

Does gambling with Tax payer money (particularly using opaque financial instruments) seem like a reasonable practice?

Does it seem reasonable that 259 staff members of ACC are on six figure salaries and divide $145.65 million dollars between themselves in wages while bringing about a 568% gap between income and costs that would send any private concern incompetent enough to oversee such a cost blow into insolvency?

Thank you for your time.
    What an excellent well thought out letter.
    You missed out 1 thing.

Now they'll listen
    We really should remember that people with the biggest muscles then biggest rocks and sticks then swords and shields then guns rule us. It's still the same people. Violence to pacify those they rule, now it's laws. It's the same thing... except "laws" are good for us... 10% are, funnily enough they are the ones dealing with the previous forms of government enforcement (to stop someone doing what they've already done). The rest are the latest incarnation of the sticks and stones.
    What's the next incarnation, if we can figure that out we'll be the ones in control...
    Well maybe YOU guys figure it out, I have a good set of muscles and I'm going caveman on this MF'er. lol
    Save the world, Kill someone

Bike
    1995 Yamaha TRX 850
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Because of what do for a living, I got the details on all the proposals at work today. Attached is the motor vehicle proposal and the details are on page three.
    2010/11 levy rates for motorists - Key Points Summary

Interesting stuff.
    So we need them to answer our OIA and tell us where their figures come from and how they do their calculations.

I'd also like to know:
    What their economic assumptions are?
    why it is taking longer to rehabilitate injured people?
    what their actuarial analysis is, what it is based on, etc.?
    why treatment costs are going up so much?
    what does elective surgery mean?
    is some of this the result of underfunding of the health system - and us now being asked to cross-subsidise that?
    Are the historic costs being funded by motorcycles actually work claims (and other types of claims?)
    What information do they have on the claim relativity between different cc sizes, and how that relates to accident 'fault'? What proportion do they have both those bits of information for?
    I don't get the figures they provide for 09/10 levies in the table - I didn't pay that much this year... and didn't know it was divided by size of bike yet?
    What they seem to be suggesting is that because our risk is greater, we should pay more rather than helping others to be better drivers - is that right?
    How does the relativities table work? If the total cost is $62m, how do they work out this huge so-called "cross-subsidy"? And the number of vehicles cited is far more than those mentioned on the NZTA motor vehicle registration data, so where does that come from and what does it include? How many zerocc or thereabouts things are in that data?

Bike
    KTM SuperDuke 990R

What about enforcement?

Another point to consider is the fact that this will fall on our already understaffed and underfunded police force to enforce. Personally I feel sorry for them; they are already at a disadvantage with many bikers opting to make a runner rather than pulling over for them. Add to this a large number of people potentially riding unregistered bikes (because they can't afford to) and you will find that NOBODY will be pulling over for the police.

Well done Government, you have singlehandedly made yoru police force almost completely redundant, even more of a joke than it already is. You may aswell put them all into retirement now...

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    It will be another case of the police bearing the PR repercussions for government policies.But Police Management are a pack of government toadies,so it's business as usual.
    Some poster suggested that front line cops aren't going to routinely stop motorists for rego checks

Bike
    speed triple
    Quote Originally Posted by lozz900 View Post
    $745 is just the acc component.. A rego will around $950..
    Ive 3 bikes, Ill register none. Just pay the fines. Ive been doing it for a few years now and havnt been nicked once..
    2008 post above... its 2019 I paid zero Regos I've recieved zero fines ( for no rego)
    This is a win...
    I've only done 100 000 km though.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    2008 post above... its 2019 I paid zero Regos I've recieved zero fines ( for no rego)
    This is a win...
    Hasn't LTSA chased you for the outstanding rego?

A mate registers his bike for 3 months a year and has never been caught. I've never had wof or rego checked when I've been pulled over or at a checkpoint, so I can certainly believe you'd get away with it.

Just watch where you park if you visit Auckland.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    This is a win...
    I've constantly paid my rego (lots).

Had I not, I would've lost my licence to demerits and I value that more than a bit of cash. Perspective: Since buying my KTM in 2015, I've spent well over $20k in tyres and fuel alone.

Glad it's working out for you though!
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    . I've never had wof or rego checked when I've been pulled over .
    When they pull you over, they already know before they get out of the car whether you are registered or not.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    When they pull you over, they already know before they get out of the car whether you are registered or not.
    Are they running cameras in the cars to check plates?

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if they have that or voice command systems or they just key in your rego but when my mate was asked for his rego, because it was not displayed, he said to the cop "you already knew that I had rego before you got out of the car" and the cop agreed with him. He was just putting my mate thru the attitude test maybe? That is not to say that they all have or use it tho I guess?

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Are they running cameras in the cars to check plates?
    It's called QVR, brief radio call.
    ANPR tech is in the new speed cameras though.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... but when my mate was asked for his rego, because it was not displayed ...
    "Not displaying " is the actual offense that is usually enforced. Even if you're paid up.

At the officers discretion of course ...

The attitude test can decide your fate ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Yep, exactly FJ!
    I never have my rego displayed but I'm not rude t the cops when the situation arises, so it never even gets mentioned...

Bike
    speed triple

Flawed system

10 000 road km on one bike in a year, 750 bucks
    10 000 road km across 10 bikes in a year 7500 bucks
    Custodians of classic bikes are getting soundly rooted ..

Thread Information