Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: ACC Levies - A resource thread

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by beyond View Post
    Can anyone verify if we still have to pay for overseas visitors and tourists when they have an accident. I believe the costs involved in this are horrendous and if they want to save money, knock that on the head for a start! Hell, we have to get insurance when we travel overseas.

I heard a case where an overseas skier broke his leg and the total cost before he arrived at his home in Canada, was $80,000. I also believe that because the accident happened here that all the after care is still being paid by NZ'ers???!!!@@#$##@!!

Can we verify that this still stands cos if so I'll be writing to my local MP to have something to say about it and the tax on tax on tax to all us bloody hard workers that want some pleasure in life riding our bikes.
    Yeah - but they've paid their ACC premium like the rest of us. Even on a temporary import, you have to pay ACC levy.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by beyond View Post
    Can anyone verify if we still have to pay for overseas visitors and tourists when they have an accident. I believe the costs involved in this are horrendous and if they want to save money, knock that on the head for a start! Hell, we have to get insurance when we travel overseas.

I heard a case where an overseas skier broke his leg and the total cost before he arrived at his home in Canada, was $80,000. I also believe that because the accident happened here that all the after care is still being paid by NZ'ers???!!!@@#$##@!!

Can we verify that this still stands cos if so I'll be writing to my local MP to have something to say about it and the tax on tax on tax to all us bloody hard workers that want some pleasure in life riding our bikes.
    acknowledging this is a thread dredge...

Yes, we pay for overseas visitors and tourists when they have an accident, we pay for their loved ones to fly out to New Zealand, we pay for their accommodation and rehabilitation in many (not all) cases - ACC is deliberately vague about this saying it will "cover a wide range of other services"): in short = all treatment of an accident in the public hospital system is "free" to the victim as inpatient treatment (and then many outpatient costs) are paid for by the New Zealand taxpayer.

This is done because it's not possible to sue in New Zealand for exemplary damages if other people injure you. And you can't be sued if you injure other people. So the government of the day decided that we would pay for injured foreign tourists' medical expenses because we had removed their right to claim damages from the people who injured them.

Riding in the US without significant six-figure insurance coverage for injuries to others resulting from my actions, or the actions of uninsured or underinsured other parties injuring me, would be foolish in the extreme. But travelling uninsured in New Zealand primarily hurts the pocket of only the New Zealand taxpayer as injured overseas tourists generally claim all the way up to what the legislation and ACC rules allow.* (I and others have observed that injured overseas tourists are frequently better informed about ACC entitlements than are many New Zealand taxpayers).

ACC support may be available to you as a visitor if you are:

injured in an accident within New Zealand
    in certain circumstances suffering from a health problem related to working in New Zealand
    injured as a result of medical treatment while you are in New Zealand
    dealing with the mental effects of a sexual assault or abuse suffered in New Zealand.
    The injury must have happened in New Zealand. You are considered outside New Zealand, and so not covered:

if you are injured while aboard the boat or plane on which you travelled to New Zealand, or in getting on or off that boat or plane
    if you are injured while travelling around the country in the craft you arrived in, such as a yacht or cruise ship. You are not covered whenever you are on board or on the gangway
    if you take an excursion during your visit that takes you 300 nautical miles or more from New Zealand.

If you’re injured during your visit to New Zealand, ACC may be able to help with the cost of treatment and support you need while you’re here. However, it is important to be aware that you cannot sue for damages arising from your personal injury – ACC cover removes that right.

ACC only covers treatment and rehabilitation costs while you are in New Zealand; it is not a replacement for travel insurance and does not cover illness, disrupted travel plans or emergency travel to get you back home. We strongly recommend you arrange travel insurance before visiting New Zealand.

Most tourists being not stupid, and with many advocates telling them their entitlements, many injured tourists & families stay on in New Zealand for months or even in a few cases years to get follow-up treatment, because without any or sufficient travel insurance, they wouldn't have coverage for injuries sustained in NZ once they are back in their home country.

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Did anyone read the review a few weeks back in the newspaper that the new 3 wheel Yamaha scooter qualifies for a car registration which makes a nonsense of the ACC claim that bikes are charged more because of the less protection they offer than cars when all is needed is an extra wheel.
    The owner will make up the ACC cost difference when an eagle eyed traffic warden fines him for being in a motorcycle parking bay

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyk5614 View Post
    The owner will make up the ACC cost difference when an eagle eyed traffic warden fines him for being in a motorcycle parking bay
    That's an issue that hasn't escaped my attention. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Did anyone read the review a few weeks back in the newspaper that the new 3 wheel Yamaha scooter qualifies for a car registration which makes a nonsense of the ACC claim that bikes are charged more because of the less protection they offer than cars when all is needed is an extra wheel.
    Yamaha Tri City.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    That's an issue that hasn't escaped my attention. I'll let you know how it goes.
    As they are registered as a car, will the "rider" be fined for going in a bus lane?

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Yamaha Tri City.
    actually that would be a good one to try in wellington and see if an unobservant parking warden would ticket it for parking in a car park

Bike
    Ninja 300
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/103...ist-lives-lost

'The Ministry of Transport said 13 of those killed last year involved riding Harley Davidson bikes, seven deaths involved Yamaha bikes.'

'Keilty said male riders aged 40 and above show statistically they are more likely to be involved in a fatal crash.'

To me, boomers on Harley's need to pat their fair share. Statically more likely, pay up

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by KezzaCFC View Post

'The Ministry of Transport said 13 of those killed last year involved riding Harley Davidson bikes, seven deaths involved Yamaha bikes.'

'Keilty said male riders aged 40 and above show statistically they are more likely to be involved in a fatal crash.'

To me, boomers on Harley's need to pat their fair share. Statically more likely, pay up
    Troll level; F. Somewhere underneath a bridge, your hovel needs sweeping out.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by KezzaCFC View Post

rather ironic making a statement like that really given that statistically those that is dead is dead and cost ACC fuck all, now off back to kindy with you

Bike
    husaberg
    The statisticians need to also compile how many deaths occur on group rides as the most dangerous overtaking I have seen is from guys on group rides under pressure to keep up or impress one another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    It was on the good
    The statisticians need to also compile how many deaths occur on group rides as the most dangerous overtaking I have seen is from guys on group rides under pressure to keep up or impress one another.
    It has been done, it has been posted on KB. What you repeatedly tell us every chance you get even when it is not even relevant to the thread is not backed up by the data. You have been told this and yet you continue to ignore it.
    Last edited by Berries; 7th May 2018 at 07:33. Reason: Because troll

Bike
    Ninja 300
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    rather ironic making a statement like that really given that statistically those that is dead is dead and cost ACC fuck all, now off back to kindy with you
    AND INJURIES, there you go. Irony averted

Source: https://www.transport.govt.nz/assets...ycles-2017.pdf

And who pays for the emergency services picking up the pieces in a fatality? Genuinely curious, if you can shed some light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	336609  

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    wonder what percentage of cars were on the road when something bad happened to a car on the road

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    So what is the percentage of riders dying on group rides then as I must have missed reading the post that stated the number?
    Jeez Wayne! Get over your obsession with group rides and other people being at fault...

Does it really matter how many died on a group ride or how many died when riding by them self or how many died because someone made an error of judgement? NO!

What does matter is that someone died! Someone who was part of a family, a community, a workplace, a sports team...

The flow on from that person's death is huge, it's like throwing a large boulder into a small pond - the splash goes everywhere and covers a large area.

What does matter is that we, as riders and drivers, do whatever we can to be the best rider or driver we can be at all times so that we never have to say that someone died because of our actions.

Thread Information