Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you in NZ have to wear full gear?

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    you get shamed into doing the ATGATT thing!
    Yer spending too much time online dawg. :-P

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Its too cold here most of the time to wear anything other than proper gear.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    .............. While it's a cool idea, it IS an impossible dream.

Steve
    like democracy ya mean?
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Its too cold here most of the time to wear anything other than proper gear.
    It's great for the "after sauna" effect, though.

When I was younger (oh so much younger than today).....after a hot bath, a quick trip around the block in shorts and sandshoes was a great refresher!
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by busa pete View Post
    How much would acc safe if it was mandatory to have full protective gear for all and more inportantly for scooters.
    to be fair, FULL gear including pants is not entirely suitable for slow speed summer commuting - you'll fatigue from heat exhaustion and dehydration before you've even got to the end of the driveway.

no excuse not to wear a jacket and gloves though

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    I have winter gear and summer gear.

In winter I wear DriRider pants with knee armour, full gauntlett-style gloves (with Rain Off over-gloves if it's wet or very cold) and a fully lined and armoured Spidi jacket.

For summer I have Draggin jeans, perforated summer gloves and an air-mesh jacket with extra vents and an optional zip-out liner (great if I stay out after dark... brrrr!)

The two things that don't change with the seasons are my helmet and boots. I would love to find a nice pair of vented summer boots - Sidi used to make the "Summer rose" with mesh panels but it seems they don't make them any more.

As for skimpy gear being attractive to men, I have three responses:
    1. I have seen badly gouged and scarred legs as a result of coming off a bike. Not attractive to anyone (including the owner of the legs).
    2. Well-cut bike gear tailored for a woman's figure is as attractive as anything! There is much more gear available for women these days, and some of it is just stunning! Imagine a red leather slim-fit jacket for winter riding, a powder-blue vented jacket for summer, sexy high leather boots and slim leather jeans.
    3. There are more important things in life than attracting men. Keeping your skin is one of them.
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing!

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    I haven't noticed any discernable difference between Summer and Winter in New Zealand so I wear the same gear all year round. I used to spend Winter in Scotland (-15 to about 5 degrees C) and Summer in Italy (up to about 42 degrees C)...the climate range here is tiny from about 10 in winter to 28 in summer.
    I am unaware of any country where it is mandatory to wear anything other than a lid. I recall childhood days in Tuscany on the back of a CB750 four wearing shorts, T shirt and no lid. I believe there are still parts (if not all) of USA where you don't need to wear a helmet.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    2006 BMW f650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by marigami View Post
    i mean do you have to wear and be fullprotected with helmet, propoer jacket, gloves and proper shoes (if no real boots) or you'll be fine if caught by the police?
    Because here in France the only thing mandatory is the helmet, for the other stuff there are recommandations only (even when you are training for your licence).
    Too many times i have seen "motards du dimanche", I mean bikers who rides only when the sun is shinning and they are on holydays or whenever they can find the courage to ride...Sorry for thatSo i say I saw too often riders with only helmets on but with no jacket at all (not even jeans jacket)but long sleeves or short sleeves tee shirt or sweater or whatever in fabric, shorts and even flip flop, very handy to ride !!
    And no gloves of course, it's too hot !
    And pillions (I mean not all of course) very often women wearing nice fancy shoes or even high heels (when it is not skirts, yes I saw this, in Paris actually, but i am pretty sure it happened somewhere else).
    I mean that is very good to attract people, men actually but it is very dangerous for several reasons, the first is in case one fall, nothing will protect one from the crash.
    So do you have mandatory gear her in NZ to actually ride your bike?
    I think it would be good although sometimes one likes to have a bit of freedom as a biker...
    But security is the most important.

No.

But please reply at length. I just love that accent. keep talking Pleeeeaaaase.
    They called it paradise, I don't know why.
    Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye.

Bike
    zephyr kawazaki 1998
    Quote Originally Posted by newbould View Post
    No.

But please reply at length. I just love that accent. keep talking Pleeeeaaaase.
    Arrghhh so it shows I'm not kiwi?
    Ooops shame on me!
    Well I hope you won't hear from me now because of my accent (it is said anyway that, although my english is rather limited in vocabulary, I have good english -from england- accent)
    I agree with you regarding Italy (and most of Spain and Portugal too),bikers tend not to wear full gear including helmets.....
    So I wonder whether countries with hot weather and high temperatures are less keen on full protection...although weather in North Italy and North West of Portugal can be quite cool!
    Here in France we do not have so high temperatures, except in the South but it is still possible to breath! So I don't understand people driving with flip flop and short sleeves tee.
    And I do not agree,even for commuting I did (and do) wear full wear despite the traffic jam.
    I really thing that those roads very close to the city are the most dangerous so you have to double,triple check and be over careful.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marigami View Post
    I really thing that those roads very close to the city are the most dangerous so you have to double,triple check and be over careful.
    In NZ far more people are hurt and killed on backroads miles from anywhere.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Marie, no we like your accent a lot.

It can get too hot here in full bike gear during the summer, unless you are on the highway constantly.

We hope you come. Lots of people will look after you and you will have lots of fun.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Talk as much as you like honey! The boys here will all have their jaws on the ground, salivating over that lovely accent (French, not pommy hahahaha) of yours!

As for gear, tempting though it is to ride with the minimum on a lovely summer say, as DangerousBastard said, our road surfaces are not very forgiving if you happen to get up close and personal with them unprotected.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    2003 honda CB900 Hornet (919)
    Saw a complete retrard a wee while ago on one of those hot spring days wearing Shorts, singlet, and i couldnt believe it, but JANDALS!!!! oh but he was wearing gloves and a helmet.....what a complete f%#ktard I say! Those sort of people ruin it for those of us who are concerned with our own safety and the image of bikers in New Zealand. I think they should make it manditory to own good quality protective gear.

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    For the benefit of Mari, Jandals = Flip Flops
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing!

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambo_Andy View Post
    Saw a complete retrard a wee while ago on one of those hot spring days wearing Shorts, singlet, and i couldnt believe it, but JANDALS!!!! oh but he was wearing gloves and a helmet.....what a complete f%#ktard I say! Those sort of people ruin it for those of us who are concerned with our own safety and the image of bikers in New Zealand. I think they should make it manditory to own good quality protective gear.
    How do they ruin it for you? You've got the gear on you feel comfortable riding in. You did good.

Whinging about what other people wear = bad.

Lead by example and bask in the warm glow of smug self-satisfaction when you see others doing it wrong.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Thread Information