Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you girls do your own maintenance?

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    I am learning as I go along. Of course my bike is about as simple as you can get, spare parts are easy to find and no special tools are required.

After I had been riding for only six months I was hit by a car and my bike was 'written off' by the insurance company (ie they wouldn't repair it because it would cost more to repair than it was worth). I bought the wreck back from the insurance company and repaired it myself with a lot of help and guideance from some wonderful people on this site!

Since that day I have never been afraid to do things to my bike, because I really think I understand it! I have seen it without any clothes on and I know how all the bits work!

Pic 1: Three girls consult the workshop manual
    Pic 2: A truly naked bike (note firewood for shock absorbers)
    Pic 3: Where does this wire go? (Note tools in the background: a hair drier and a box of beer)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	various 023 small.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	380.2 KB 
ID:	148517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	various 028 small.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	411.9 KB 
ID:	148518   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	various 032 small.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	408.6 KB 
ID:	148519  
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing!

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    I'd like to know where I can learn. I learn by doing not reading or watching someone else. On my previous bike I did my last oil change under the tutorage someone with experience and knowledge. But on my new ride I haven't cos I didn't want to feck it up. I'd really like to know how to adjust my chain and do all that other basic stuff too.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    zephyr kawazaki 1998
    True I had the opportunity to get friends very good on mechanics so it helps!
    And as a teenn I wanted to be a mechanic myself (pff my parents absolutly refused it) so I have always been interested in engine and what's inside...
    And I like being able to be as much independant as I can!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Piggy View Post
    I'd like to know where I can learn. I learn by doing not reading or watching someone else. On my previous bike I did my last oil change under the tutorage someone with experience and knowledge. But on my new ride I haven't cos I didn't want to feck it up. I'd really like to know how to adjust my chain and do all that other basic stuff too.
    Consider getting a mentor off here. Mack the Knife was the best mentor ever! He stood by and drank beer while he patiently watched me fix up the Volty, even though things that would have taken him 5 mins took me an hour!

Bike
    zephyr kawazaki 1998
    Quote Originally Posted by klingon View Post
    Consider getting a mentor off here. Mack the Knife was the best mentor ever! He stood by and drank beer while he patiently watched me fix up the Volty, even though things that would have taken him 5 mins took me an hour!
    So you've got the point: drinking lotta beers can help

And be patient.
    Better not ask your partner though to avoid big rows (I mean discussion, is that the right word?)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marigami View Post

And be patient.
    Better not ask your partner though to avoid big rows (I mean discussion, is that the right word?)
    I agree! I kept sending my partner away to make coffee and fetch more beer, so that he wouldn't try to take the tools from me and do it himself. He found it very painful to watch me doing things at my own pace!

"Rows" is definitely the right word.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marigami View Post

And be patient.
    I agree! I kept sending my partner away to make coffee and fetch more beer, so that he wouldn't try to take the tools from me and do it himself. He found it very painful to watch me doing things at my own pace!

"Rows" is definitely the right word.

Bike
    2007 CB900
    The next maintenance day at Nastys is 02 November ... with dinner!! ...

I have a go at the basics ... can now changed oil/oil filter/spark plugs and when i remember all the steps adjust the chain ... but one of the guys from here helps me out with it (in case I screw up) - thanks Nudes ... and oh _Stain_ .. they also ensure that I don't do anything really stupid
    Life is a gift that we have all been given. Live life to the full and ensure that you have absolutely no
    regrets.

For your parts needs:

http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Since I have owned the blue lovely I have got my hands plenty dirty looking after her and fixing things that go wrong. I have a workshop manual and it really is a guide for dummies

The last thing I did was to remove the tank and clean up all the rust on the outside and the inside and then rust treat the insides with a Por 15 kit

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...d.php?t=110215

This was a bit of a process and frankly a bit intimidating but with some great encouragement and some good instructions it was not a daunting as I was expecting. My next mission is to put her all back together and see if I have finally solved my fuelling issues.

Get stuck in girls! It is not hard at all, and you get the biggest buzz from doing it too
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    2005 Firestorm
    Blog Entries
    Andrew Templeton offers basic maintenance courses...you take along the gears and they watch and guide you to do all the work

Bike
    Ducati 900ss The Guido Torpedo
    I was going to come in here and make a truely tasteless joke about self service and special tools (No really Insanity, that'd be so unlike you) but after I read all the posts I'm quite impressed at the can do attitude. So instead I'm going to say well done.

My wife used to work on her own car but hasn't done so in years. I've tried to encourage it cause we used to have fun sharing the garage. It was a rather unlikely couples activity but I really liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty View Post
    Hmmmmmmm busting to comment, noooo must resist.
    Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire. -Samuel Johnson

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty View Post
    Arrrgghhh bugger - social calendar far too full that week to pop over. I did really enjoy the last time I did the oil change on Betty over at yours.

Quote Originally Posted by klingon View Post
    Great suggestion - I might need to go do some begging.

Bike
    2018 Ducati Monster 797
    Blog Entries
    What were you wanting to do chick? Between the hubby and I we could supervise you (and I have some books to return to you also )

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by Trudes View Post
    What were you wanting to do chick? Between the hubby and I we could supervise you (and I have some books to return to you also )
    Awwww aint you sweet! Just all the basic stuff - oil change & filter, chain adjustment and all that stuff. What to look for and worry about...all of it!! Got a week to spare - heh heh. I'm sure my fella would like some tutorage too. We have some very basic tools and I guess we'd also like some ideas around what's stuff we need to effectively maintain our bikes.

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae View Post
    I love working on my bike, but I am not yet confident enough to do it by myself (in case I really fuck something up). My boyfriend is very mechanically minded and helps me with a lot of things. I can do the simple stuff, so far I have not had to do anything that is too complicated or requires special tools.

I don't like leaving my bike with a mechanic...I don't like not knowing what exactly has been done to it or if it's been done properly.
    Control issues?
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Its easier to apologise than ask for permission.
    Wise words:
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

Thread Information