Thread: "Renewal of Motor Vehicle License" to minimise personal cost

Bike
    2004 Kawasaki Z 750

"Renewal of Motor Vehicle License" to minimise personal cost

Its time for me to re-register my motorcycle.
    I want to only register it for a few months, up until just before any cost increases occur, so that I can then re-register it for 12 months at the current lower rate.
    But I am not sure on when the price change-over will occur. Some pdf files from ACC seem to indicate that any price change would be on 1 July, but it isn't really explicitly stated, can anyone confirm this is the change-over date?
    Anyway is there anyone else keen to minimize their registration costs by being a little bit clever?
    Perhaps with a lot of us going on this path we could put our personal objections where our dollars are spent.

Bike
    Various
    According to this: http://www.acc.co.nz/for-business/le...ocess/BUS00153

Funnily enough (or not) the changeover date appears to April 1st!

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Im pretty sure that the date for motorcycles and cars is 1 July.

But why not re-reg for 3 months.. Nov,Dec,Jan... by then youwill know for sure.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    FJR 1300
    I normaly only REG my vechicles in 3 month blocks, not worth giving them any more money than nessasary.

Bike
    Dirty old 1960's Vespa
    I'm in similar situation. My bike is apparently manufactured in 1970 (Internet search of chasis and engine number says it was made in 1966 in Italy yet carjam and testing station says was registered new in 1970 in NZ) so will become 40 years old and a classic or whatever and be cheaper to rego now. The current rego runs out next month. Just wondering if anyone knows if I wait register it after January 1 2010 it automatically becomes cheaper or do I have to jump through hoops?

Just been getting another old one going and have put in modern motor. This one has no chasis number stamped where it should be, or anywhere else I can find, so am wondering implications of velcro number plate? Someone could just stamp the same chassis number on it as the other one. They are both the same make and colour and pretty much both look like the same old pieces of shit - and after all I can only ride one at a time, and still only have 1 number plate, so wheres the crime? Doesn't really matter which one I decided to ride out of the garage that day if I stack it does it? One being set up for long trips is the only real difference.

Cheers for any ideas...
    It is made of steel, has gears and can go on the motorway - yes even over the harbour bridge

Thread Information