Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle freight companies/Getting a motorbike couriered

Bike
    1992 Honda CBR250RR

Motorcycle freight companies/Getting a motorbike couriered

What companies do a good job of transporting bikes around New Zealand?
    I've used Biketranz before and they were good, and looking up some old threads on here I found CycleMove, Motorcycle Transporter services, and Jeffs do them. Apparently though some people have sent it through main frieght as well, and as long as you pack the bike yourself it can be a cheap service.

So what are your impressions of these companies? Any others not on that list?

-- Just trying to get an idea of what's available these days. The search feature on this site doesn't seem to work so well, and Google searches only returns archived threads.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Wouldn't cross the road to piss on Biketranz if they were on fire. Fucken rogues.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    1992 Honda CBR250RR
    Why don't you like Biketranz? Did they drop your bike or something?

I just found another company: http://www.motorcyclemovers.co.nz

Bike
    1992 Honda CBR250RR
    Well so far I've got the following quotes (took longer because of the long weekend) for Christchurch to Wellington:
    www.biketranz.co.nz $360
    www.motorcyclemovers.co.nz $290 (Motorcycle Transporter Services Ltd, CycleMove)
    www.jeffs.co.nz (depot to depot) $200 + GST
    www.mainfreight.co.nz $150 (depot to depot)

MainFreight requires you to pack the motorbike onto a crate yourself and they told me the service was "at the owners own risk."
    In summary MainFreight is the cheapest but probably not worth the risk, so I guess I'll be going with Jeffs :P

PS - As you can see MotorcycleMovers has changed names a few times.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Wouldn't cross the road to piss on Biketranz if they were on fire. Fucken rogues.
    I've been asked to elaborate on this, here's a couple of my reasons.

I used to work in a bike shop, one of the biggest in the country in fact. On three seperate occasions, I tried to get BikeTranz to collect bikes from a prospective trade-in customers address, and ship to us for inspection and valuing before final deal struck. On all three occasions the bike was at least two days late getting collected and up to a week late on delivery. No explanations what so ever.

On another occasion, a client (now my partner) decided to by a new SV650S off me but as our shop was in Wellington, and she lived in Auckland, she was reluctant to ride her 250 all the way down in winter to trade it in. She booked BikeTranz to collect the bike on a particular day and booked her flights for 2 days later to fly down and pick up her new bike. BikeTranz never arrived on day one, no call or nothing, client rings them to say "WTF?", they say be there tomorrow before your flight to collect the bike, without fail. Guess what? She ended up riding her 250 through the shittiest weather all the way to Auckland and losing the money paid for her flight because those homos still never turned up.

As I said, wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    03 GS1200ss,06 Blackbird
    Hey white trash how long ago was this when you had these problems as thay seem to have good feed back on here lately, cheers

Bike
    '95 Bandit 250
    Blog Entries
    BikeTranz are expensive - $300 to go from Auckland to Levin

But i will let you know how they are once i have shipped with them. Bike gets picked up Friday and Delivered Saturday.. Will be interesting

Bike
    Yamaha Scorpio!
    Remember that while other companies other than Mainfreight packs the bike for you, the default liability may only be $1500. Check their terms and conditions.

http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/c...geofgoods.html

If there is no special arrangement contract, the carrier is liable for damage or loss up to a limit of $1,500 for each unit of goods.

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bkker View Post
    Well so far I've got the following quotes (took longer because of the long weekend) for Christchurch to Wellington:
    www.biketranz.co.nz $360
    www.motorcyclemovers.co.nz $290 (Motorcycle Transporter Services Ltd, CycleMove)
    www.jeffs.co.nz (depot to depot) $200 + GST
    www.mainfreight.co.nz $150 (depot to depot)

MainFreight requires you to pack the motorbike onto a crate yourself and they told me the service was "at the owners own risk."
    In summary MainFreight is the cheapest but probably not worth the risk, so I guess I'll be going with Jeffs :P

PS - As you can see MotorcycleMovers has changed names a few times.
    Strait shipping do lytton to wgtn

Bike
    It's a Ninja,that's why you can't see it
    I was going to buy a bike in whangerei but the trade has since fallen through.

But, I looked at costs of shipping it down to wellington. The cheapest I found was Captain Transporter, This was with full insurance included and was cheaper than the others which only had insurance upto $1,500 (minimum by the freight act or something).

They had a bad time due to a fair go episode a few years back so now they insist that anything bigger than a 250 gets crated (included in the price). I was going to use them before the trade fell through.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Make sure you take out additional transit insurance to cover the full value of the bike.

Relying on the carriers $1500 liability cover is pointless for a motorcycle. It is no where near adequate, and they have too many "get out of jail" cards.

EDIT: You don't have to get the insurance from the carrier. Try ringing your normal insurance company.

Bike
    GSX1100
    You could try Conroy removals - they're good, used them before

Bike
    zx12
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    a client (now my partner)
    Wow, you must've given her quite the deal!

I'm in the process of waiting for TransPro http://transpro.co.nz to ship me my bike from Wellington. The seller dropped the bike at their depot last Monday (19th) and I'm going to receive it on the morning of the 29th. Of course, everytime I call them to get an update the ETA has shifted a couple of days away

I think they send a shipment once every week and I just missed out by a couple of hours or something.

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    Strait shipping prices are

Lytton-Wgtn $160+gst
    Nelson-Wgtn $97+gst

Bike
    88er

Thumbs down

If anyone is using transpro or movepro, they're in for a headache and a heartbreak. Add "NO" to all description on their web and get ready for a shock. transpro running out of excuses after excuses they sound like a bro..bro..pro..broken record. Overpromised but sooo underdelivered and they just care about your wallet, might as well give away free panadols. Ripoffs, dishonest, slack and wouldnt trust them with a thread of my bike. We've been digging deeper and transpro is a definite blacklist. A pure waste of money and very risky homebased biz to deal with.

Thread Information