Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: KTM 990/950 Adv thread

Bike
    2009, Ktm 990 Adventure S
    I've already posted this in another thread but well. This guy is mecanically minded and takes good care of the bike. I reckon some good info and ideas can be taken

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147440

Cheers,
    Pampa

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    I'm in. 04 950 Adv S. I love this bike! Just back from a 1500km weekend with lots of seal, gravel, dirt, mud, river crossings, steep hills, riding in the dark over a track that was rutted, bog holes, steep gravel climbs and decents, wash outs, drop offs over bed rock steps yadda yadda yadda. All this will carrying full panniers and a tent and bed roll straped on the tail rack. For me (I'm 6'2" and 110kg) the 950 is THE bike to have.

I'd agree that a 30l tank would be nice but at over a grand for the 40l ones I'll stick with what I have.

I got a botle of Motorex 10-50 but wont be doing that again $140ish for 4l. Mobil 1 10-40 for me next time. Good instructions in the owners manual and on the KTMHOW about how to do an oil change - not that I've done one myself yet.

Killed a 140 MT21 rear in about 2000kms, so back to the E07. Anybody know if the 150-70/18 E09 has appeared yet? Heard more talk about them over the weekend.

Got a rail rack laser cut for the bike a while back if anybody wants one. Thread with pics here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00375a.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	396.7 KB 
ID:	148679  
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    A bike! yes its a bike and the others...

2000k's!!!!

EEKs....
    Still have the scorps on mine. Keep thinking about something grippier but thats....Guess the 990 has a bit of torque. Have heard bad things on the ADV rider site about the 40l tanks. Dont really want 40l as its hard to pick up as it is. Dropped it again doing the Braeburn, Porika tracks on Monday..its a big heavy pig when you drop it on a slope with an almost full tank. Then again its a pig heavy pig when you drop it any time...note to self..do not drop it. The crash bars have paid for themselves. Bombed home on the St Arnaud road the holiday traffic was horrendous!!!!...3 yes 3 cars. For the love of Peter i hate holiday traffic...
    Last edited by Fluffy Cat; 27th October 2009 at 15:02. Reason: Cant spell even with spell check.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy Cat View Post
    EEKs....
    Still have the scorps on mine. Keep thinking about something grippier but thats....
    Yep and that was trying to be reasonably gental cause I was a long way from home with few shops let alone any open over the long weekend. Never expected them to last very long, they dont last very long on a DR650. A Dunlop D908rr would be the best option but at $350 each they are not cheap. The Mitas E07 does OK and will probably last about 6k kms.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    2010 KTM990
    I'm getting good result from Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara rear.Better wear than Scorpion and slightly more aggressive. Still only for gravels not mud, but suits me, so far.
    Triwi

Bike
    2016 R1200gs
    I am bit of a noob when it comes to tyres for the beasty. I am still running scorps. Been well impressed overall. Except the front end given me the shits by letting go afew times.

So what shall I do? Run a tkc(or similar) on the front with the scorp on the back? Still ok on the road this combo?
    Or just bit the bullet and treat myself to some knobblies all round. Blow the budget and have a blast of road. I know they will tranform the bike on the rougher stuff. Its a lot of cash to blow for a few thousand km's though.

Your thoughts are all appreciated!
    Cheers Dion

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Triwi View Post
    I'm getting good result from Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara rear.Better wear than Scorpion and slightly more aggressive. Still only for gravels not mud, but suits me, so far.
    Triwi
    I'd always though they were a bit closed up but this pic makes them look a fair bit more open than the Mitas E07. I'm keen to give one ago. What do you pay for one, where from and what sort of life?

Sahara

Mitas E07 in the middle (I'd like to try a E09 which are the ones on the outside)

Cheers r

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    The Saharas are OEM on the 640 Adventure. I didn't think they were particularly grippy off the seal, but are likely a good compromise. Front lasted 6400km and rear 4400. That's half the life of the TKC80 front but the same as the TKC80 rear. The TKC80 rear had way more grip off road and noticeably less on.

Most ppl don't buy them due to price. But 10 or so years ago, they were the de-facto standard tyre for RTW riders.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    The Saharas are OEM on the 640 Adventure. I didn't think they were particularly grippy off the seal, but are likely a good compromise. Front lasted 6400km and rear 4400. That's half the life of the TKC80 front but the same as the TKC80 rear. The TKC80 rear had way more grip off road and noticeably less on.

Most ppl don't buy them due to price. But 10 or so years ago, they were the de-facto standard tyre for RTW riders.
    Vege muttered summat about larger Mitas tyres on the way, last time I was talking to him...

Bike
    09 Duke 690
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitdion View Post
    I am bit of a noob when it comes to tyres for the beasty. I am still running scorps. Been well impressed overall. Except the front end given me the shits by letting go afew times.

So what shall I do? Run a tkc(or similar) on the front with the scorp on the back? Still ok on the road this combo?
    Or just bit the bullet and treat myself to some knobblies all round. Blow the budget and have a blast of road. I know they will tranform the bike on the rougher stuff. Its a lot of cash to blow for a few thousand km's though.

Your thoughts are all appreciated!
    Cheers Dion
    Stick a TKC on the front, they grip pretty good offroad and onroad, there are better out there but then you find they are more offroad or more onroad, the Scorp on the back is sweet for shingle roads and if its gets greasier then get a TKC/Dunlop/mitas blah blah on the back, everyone has there favourite but on the front I wouldn't run an E-09 as they don't seem to grip anywhere as well as a TKC on the road and for how long a TKC lasts on the front they are worth the extra few dollars.
    In the words of Juan-Manuel Fangio "Brakes they only slow you down"

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Vege muttered summat about larger Mitas tyres on the way, last time I was talking to him...
    Yep, that's been a pretty healthy rumour for some time - years.

Maybe Microsoft have bought Michelin's share of Mitas (thereby changing it from 'meetas' to 'mytas' ) and the 150s will be here Real Soon Now

ie not until a competitor makes them!
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    A bike! yes its a bike and the others...

Hori Bay

Cool day, Hori Bay, then back on the Mangatapu Track. Only dropped the bike once.http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...1&d=1256693982
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0910.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	148838  

Bike
    2016 R1200gs
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Stick a TKC on the front, they grip pretty good offroad and onroad, there are better out there but then you find they are more offroad or more onroad, the Scorp on the back is sweet for shingle roads and if its gets greasier then get a TKC/Dunlop/mitas blah blah on the back, everyone has there favourite but on the front I wouldn't run an E-09 as they don't seem to grip anywhere as well as a TKC on the road and for how long a TKC lasts on the front they are worth the extra few dollars.
    Cheers Mate. Thats the info I like to hear first hand. Been mulling it over the a while. Looks like i will put a tkc on the front and keep scorp on back. For the riding I do this will work well I feel.

Great to see all my fellow Ktm big boys sharing and info, pictures etc on Kiwibiker. Bloody Awesome!

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries

JMJ new ride.

OK chaps..

its going to come out sooner or later.
    so ive bitten the bullet and brought a 950.

been on the cards for a while to buy one. was chasing a 990 but was to slow of the mark..

so ive spend hours and hours reading about the bikes on adv and other sites and dribbling over photos.

so just sorting out ideas on setting up the luggage options, on my other thread.

and now looking in to tire choices.

pick up bike in two weeks..

so any advice will be well excepted.

JMJ
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Well done Joe. What colour? Any pics? Hopefully we'll hear the twin pipes rumbling down our way soon

Thread Information