Thread: Diagnose my electrical problem

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike

Diagnose my electrical problem

Hi
    I know it'll be something basic but my mechanical / electrical knowledge doesn't even come up to basic ... soooo
    Arrived at work this morning after a standard trip in. Stalled the bike at the gates and when I went to restart it ... nothing! Kill switch OK, bike in neutral but not even a hint of a turn form the starter motor. Noticed the lights went real dim when I pressed the start switch though. Gave it 10 minutes and came back. This time it wound over slowly so I guess the battery discharged on the way in. What may have caused it and is there a chance the battery will get it's oomph back if I leave it a couple more hours? (Oh, the battery is only 5 weeks old and it started the bike normally first thing this morning).
    Oh yeah, '92 Honda CB400
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    bad earth around the started, or somewhere else, or a really really rooted battery. When was that last changed?

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    bad earth around the started, or somewhere else, or a really really rooted battery. When was that last changed?
    Battery is stated to be 5 weeks old. Dud earth is unlikely to improve after a short rest (as this did).

Either charging system has crapped out completely , or the battery is defective.Much more likely to be a dud battery. Go back to where you got it from, explain, ask them to test it.

Percentage of dud batteries on bikes is surprisingly high. I had exactly the same problem on the BMW a few weeks ago. Battery about 4 weeks old just wouldn't charge past 10 volts. Supplier tested it agreed it was defective, no probs. Go see the supplier.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Check your battery mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakie
    Hi
    I know it'll be something basic but my mechanical / electrical knowledge doesn't even come up to basic ... soooo
    Arrived at work this morning after a standard trip in. Stalled the bike at the gates and when I went to restart it ... nothing! Kill switch OK, bike in neutral but not even a hint of a turn form the starter motor. Noticed the lights went real dim when I pressed the start switch though. Gave it 10 minutes and came back. This time it wound over slowly so I guess the battery discharged on the way in. What may have caused it and is there a chance the battery will get it's oomph back if I leave it a couple more hours? (Oh, the battery is only 5 weeks old and it started the bike normally first thing this morning).
    Oh yeah, '92 Honda CB400
    They do not go at all if the battery is stuffed. I know this from experience. I'll send out that disc today Oakie.
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Oh, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda
    They do not go at all if the battery is stuffed. I know this from experience. I'll send out that disc today Oakie.
    My voltage regulator was nackered on my 1992 CB400f2 and it stuffed a brand new bike. If you get if going grab a multi meter and check the voltage at the battery while connected. If there is a big fluctuation then it might be the same problem. Can get an after market non-Honda part locally and then it needs to be rewired to match the wiring on the bike.
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800
    Check your battery connections are good and tight first, just in case one has loosened up a bit while travelling. (happened to me - same symptoms - sometimes its the little things that get yer...)
    Experience......something you get just after you needed it

It's a Honda - regulator,rectifier,maybe stator if it's gone too far.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Darmah, 888, B50SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    It's a Honda
    Yep...there's yer problem

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    test the battery charge condition if you can, or charge it overnight and see if the bike fires ok in the morning straigh after taking it off charge...

The fact the bike started after a little rest would appear to be the battery "recovery" that happens. (Drain a battery under some load til it's flat, then let it rest for an hour or two and try again... you'll find more power has "come to the surface")

I know little enough to be dangerous, but if the bike starts at all... ever... that kinda rules out the starting system.

If the bike turns rapidly on a battery fresh off the charger I'd suggest it's either the charging system (most likely) or a dud battery (which is only 5 weeks old... so... maybe, maybe not...)

You don;t have another bike you can swap batteries in do you - see if the problem follows the battery or stays with the bike if you see what I mean?

Hope this helps..., or gives a clue or...?!?

MDU
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    Percentage of dud batteries on bikes is surprisingly high. I had exactly the same problem on the BMW a few weeks ago. Battery about 4 weeks old just wouldn't charge past 10 volts. Supplier tested it agreed it was defective, no probs. Go see the supplier.
    Didn't know that... ta - piece of info to keep in back of mind...

MDU
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    If you can access a multimeter and battery charger you can check easily enough. Charge battery overnight, check voltage (off load but it's still a good indicator) Should be 13+ volts. Start bike , put multimeter on high amps setting in circuit between battery and earth Should be a positive current (ie charging battery) , or nothing much either way (battery fully charged). If you get a significant discharge your charging system is fubar (watch meter polarity though).

Pisses me off that manufacturers no longer fit ammeters.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Thanks everyone.
    Rang the dealer I bought it off 5 weeks (and 2400 ks) ago. He's going to pop around this afternoon and pick it up and leave me a replacement bike until they sort it. He reckons it's the regulator (or was it rectifier?) as he's had a similar bike with the same problem. He said that the early 90's Hondas were renowned for it as the regulators (or was it rectifiers?) didn't have cooling fins and tended to overheat as they were tucked away from nice cooling airflow.
    Anyhow, once again, big praise upon 'Sportzone Suzuki' for their after sales service. That alone has almost guaranteed that I'll be buying my next bike from them when the times comes.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    If you can access a multimeter and battery charger you can check easily enough. Charge battery overnight, check voltage (off load but it's still a good indicator) Should be 13+ volts. Start bike , put multimeter on high amps setting in circuit between battery and earth Should be a positive current (ie charging battery) , or nothing much either way (battery fully charged). If you get a significant discharge your charging system is fubar (watch meter polarity though).

Pisses me off that manufacturers no longer fit ammeters.
    And the longer its left, the more goes wrong. E.G. the cdi unit can end up fried and that costs more $$$

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Oakie
    Thanks everyone.
    Rang the dealer I bought it off 5 weeks (and 2400 ks) ago. He's going to pop around this afternoon and pick it up and leave me a replacement bike until they sort it. He reckons it's the regulator (or was it rectifier?) as he's had a similar bike with the same problem. He said that the early 90's Hondas were renowned for it as the regulators (or was it rectifiers?) didn't have cooling fins and tended to overheat as they were tucked away from nice cooling airflow.
    Anyhow, once again, big praise upon 'Sportzone Suzuki' for their after sales service. That alone has almost guaranteed that I'll be buying my next bike from them when the times comes.
    buy a Honda!

Thread Information