Thread: Easter in The South Island

Bike
    -

Easter in The South Island

Okay, it's taken me a little while to get around to it, but I thought I would share my excellent Easter run down in the South Island. We hadn't planned to travel down, but on Good Friday the g/f and I pondered the rest of the long weekend and what we might do with our time. After a while we thought we might head across the strait and visit her parents in Reefton.
    Booked the ferry (Lynx) for travel down Saturday, back Monday. Surprisingly many options were available and still good prices to be had.

Travelled from Picton to Reefton via St Arnaud. The roads most of the way to St Arnaud are long, straight and boring. Pulled over in St Arnaud to don the wet weathers and decided to top the tank up. It was before the govt. introduction of the new 5c per litre levy - but the price for a litre of 91 was 137.9c (luckily only needed 8 litres).

On the Sunday I departed solo from Reefton and headed over the Lewis Pass to Canterbury. Stopped in to Hamner Springs for 2nd breakfast and had the biggest damn hot chocolate I've ever seen.
    Pushed on to Rangiora, and then over Arthurs Pass. What a magic road and scenery! First time I've been over there and boy was it fantastic!!!
    Coming down the Otira Gorge on the west side was an experience, gradient of 16 degrees down for a solid half mile.
    Onto Greymouth where I decided I had a few hous left in the day and opted to return to Reefton via Westport.
    The coast road from Greymouth to Westport is the best damn road I thnk I've ridden. And the good old West Coast with deers tied to the back of 4x4's and town signs that still have population details on them.
    Stopped in at Punakaiki for a look at the Pancake Rocks - they, well, rock frankly.
    The road from Westport to Inangahua Junction (Buller Gorge I think) it another piece of magic road!
    Surprisingly there wasn't that much traffic on the roads, and the also the weather was awesome the whole way, with only several light drizzle patches in Canterbury.
    That day 670km was covered through some quite twisty roads. Got back to Reefton and the g/f's mum had a lovely roast prepared for dinner - great stuff!

On the Monday we travelled back to Picton via Nelson, and then Queen Charlotte Sound. Queen Charlotte Sound is quite a slow twisty road dotted continuously with camper vans and shuttles (that gave heaps of room to get past), and provides lovely views over the sounds at various vantage points.

Over the three days 1283km's were covered at an average consumption of 5.72l/100km's.

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.

Hamish and I got to Reefton Good Friday, stayed there Saturday and left Sunday for Picton/ferry. (At the end of a three week tour.)

Had shit weather getting there from Chch, so much traffic on the roads I thought we were in the North Island!

We were staying at the Auto Lodge with the Electric Light Cafe, opposite the Reefton Hotel. We parked our bikes out the back by our motel unit.

Saturday the weather was so shit we didn't even get on the bikes, just wandered around Reefton checking out each cafe (worked out if we had food/coffee about every hour and a half it'd fill in the day!)

A lot of history in the town.

We saw a few bikes, talked to a group Friday avo who were on their way to Westport (one of them knew Scumdog). On Saturday talked to two guys from Tauranga, a CBR600RR and a Triumph (Daytona I think from memory).

I don't remember seeing a Bandit.

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Travelled from Picton to Reefton via St Arnaud. The roads most of the way to St Arnaud are long, straight and boring. Pulled over in St Arnaud to don the wet weathers and decided to top the tank up. It was before the govt. introduction of the new 5c per litre levy - but the price for a litre of 91 was 137.9c (luckily only needed 8 litres).

The road from Westport to Inangahua Junction (Buller Gorge I think) it another piece of magic road!

Try getting gas at Milford Sound: $1.95/litre! Still, I don't begrudge paying it - I'd rather pay through the nose for gas in such a remote place than not be able to buy any at all.

Lower Buller gorge is indeed a magic piece of road.

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynda Blair

...I don't remember seeing a Bandit.
    We got there Saturday afternoon (straight to the g/f's parents place), and I left early Sunday (8am) returning in the afternoon. Didn't see any other bikers in Reefton myself. (Twilight zone music starts)

Thread Information