Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Service interval on an Ohlins rear shock

Bike
    ZX10R ZZR1100 KLR650
    so what is so great about ohlins trained for servicing as opposed to say Race Tech trained ?
    Like good mechanic's working across many brands, suspension work is no different once you understand the inner working's.
    Maybe you need to buy or make the odd special tool but suspension tech's I have previously used in Rotorua and Auckland are well versed across all brands. The tinker's as you call them are the ones the often vastly improve our standard suspension and often fix inherent flaws like found in stock ducati/ohlins suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    He is there "KerryD" and there are other people about that tinker with stuff, but only a few are trained by Ohlin's tech people and are dealers of that product
    Authorised K-tech Sales and Service.
    http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/Sus...#mcnzstocklist

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by _STAIN_ View Post
    so what is so great about ohlins trained for servicing as opposed to say Race Tech trained ?
    Like good mechanic's working across many brands, suspension work is no different once you understand the inner working's.
    Maybe you need to buy or make the odd special tool but suspension tech's I have previously used in Rotorua and Auckland are well versed across all brands. The tinker's as you call them are the ones the often vastly improve our standard suspension and often fix inherent flaws like found in stock ducati/ohlins suspension.
    Or, tell blatant lies about what they've seen, done and acheived.

Not saying your post is wrong, however the particular person being mentioned is not renowned for his truthfulness. That's all I'm saying.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Or, tell blatant lies about what they've seen, done and acheived.

Not saying your post is wrong, however the particular person being mentioned is not renowned for his truthfulness. That's all I'm saying.
    If bullshit was music, that particular person would be a symphony orchestra!
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    SV400
    Ohlins has the monopoly of the top end suspension market in NZ. Its not the best senario for the consumer as without any real competition prices can be set at what the market can stand rather than how little the manufacturer can make and still stay in bussiness.

Aren't we lucky to have so many oil companys or petrol would be the same way. Or more internet providers than just Telecom. etc etc etc.

I think the reason theres so few suspension techs about is they mostly work for free at the track right?. Or is it they can't make the regular trips to Sweden to gain a respectable level of competence.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by GSVR View Post
    Ohlins has the monopoly of the top end suspension market in NZ. Its not the best senario for the consumer as without any real competition prices can be set at what the market can stand rather than how little the manufacturer can make and still stay in bussiness.

Aren't we lucky to have so many oil companys or petrol would be the same way. Or more internet providers than just Telecom. etc etc etc.

I think the reason theres so few suspension techs about is they mostly work for free at the track right?. Or is it they can't make the regular trips to Sweden to gain a respectable level of competence.
    Not really G. I believe that if the three other top level brands were promoted to the level that Ohlins has been in NZ, there's no reason why they couldn't be as strong. From what I've seen, the importers of other brands have run it as a sideline to their normal business, where as the good Doctor focuses on only suspension.

I for one would LOVE to see someone take the WP brand and try to build it to a level as what CKT is now at, offering the same level of trackside support. It would add one more factor to the outcome of the racing here. Be nice if the tyre importers put themselves forward also.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    GSXR450

There are PARTS fitters, and then there are techs!

I would regually recieve phone calls at 10 at night from Robert, to discuss an idea he had, or to discuss some thing he had discovered through his Internationall contacts, and his Shock Dyno machine.

When I was working very close with Robert when I was racing seriously, the work he went through to try and give me better product was outstanding!!!! He is as passinate about suspension, as I was about riding.

Pricing etc

20 years of suspension fine tuning and development

Dyno machines

Spare parts in stock

Phone calls to awnser

Emails to respond to

PM messages

Text messages

Premisses and staff wages to pay for

and on and on the COST of being the front man for a top quality product goes on and on

O YEA, time and petrol to get to the track with staff wages to pay! and the exspense of the mobile work shop

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Spent NOT MADE!
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Not really G. I believe that if the three other top level brands were promoted to the level that Ohlins has been in NZ, there's no reason why they couldn't be as strong. From what I've seen, the importers of other brands have run it as a sideline to their normal business, where as the good Doctor focuses on only suspension.
    Very interesting comment and certainly food for thought.

I understand that Robert takes the time to setup each shock for the rider and NZ roads as a 'value added extra' in NZ.
    As a exercise I'd be interested to see the difference between a USA Internet purchased big O and a Robert setup one on the same bike.
    If anyone is prepared to finance my experiment feel free to PM me

I think ACC should subsidize the cost of Ohlins suspension in NZ - surely this would help reduce the motorcycle accidents!

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by _STAIN_ View Post
    Race Tech training is several steps removed from proper Ohlins factory training. Are Race Tech privy to the very latest Ohlins updates and training information etc? Get real.

Is a non Ohlins accredited suspension fiddler going to be first in line for those latest updates and more privileged information? Get real

Are these guys well versed across all brands? Get real.

Am I the Ohlins distributor just as versed in ( for example ) WP? Get real

Inherent flaws or setting changes to mostly allow for our road conditions? Get real

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    None

I for one would LOVE to see someone take the WP brand and try to build it to a level as what CKT is now at, offering the same level of trackside support. It would add one more factor to the outcome of the racing here. Be nice if the tyre importers put themselves forward also.
    Dont hold your breath Jimmy. WP is a great product but I think the pressure of oem production for KTM is keeping them very preoccupied. They are unable to supply stock when you want it due in part to that.

Bike
    None

Well Gary you dont understand the cost of business so well. There is a difference between making a living and making a killing. I fit into the former category, just. If I wasnt so helpful and free with information maybe Id turn a reasonable profit.

Bike
    1989 Honda NC30
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Up to 40000 kilometres, ideally for best performance every 20000 ks. MUST be serviced by an approved and FACTORY TRAINED Ohlins dealer, not those who say ''I can do it, its easy'' In Wellington Pat McClachlan at Motomart, no-one else in Wellington has the training or is privy to constant and ongoing factory updates, Pat has been trained by a Swedish engineer we had out here.
    Quote Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
    Thanks Couple more questions...

Does it matter what kind of km's? i.e track vs road etc. Also, does it make a difference between aftermarket replacement Ohlins and Ohlins that came OE with the bike?

Cheers
    Luke

Just wanna bump this, so it doesn't get lost.

I have an OE Ohlins in my Gas Gas. Thing is - that bike will probably fall apart before hitting 20k let alone 40k! Has about 350 hours enduro/trail riding on the shock which is ~6 years old.

I have an aftermarket on the Triumph. Given the infomation above, I think this one is a while off needing as service.

Cheers
    Luke
    #24 1989 Honda NC30

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Pussy View Post
    If bullshit was music, that particular person would be a symphony orchestra!
    I've heard he's a bit of a drinker.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	originals_bullshit1_ranndino.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	149162  

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    Various
    Back to the subject matter, I have Ohlins shocks on both of my bikes and I can attest to the fact that the CKT/RT fettled product is a big advancement on the out-of-the-box product.
    Best of all is Roberts after sales service, he is quite happy to fine tune the product (usually at no further cost) until the customer is 100% happy with the result.
    You might be able to buy 'the product' cheaply off the interweb, but that kind of service and follow up is worth it's weight in gold IMO.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Well Gary you dont understand the cost of business so well. There is a difference between making a living and making a killing. I fit into the former category, just. If I wasnt so helpful and free with information maybe Id turn a reasonable profit.
    I think you and Shaun have read at that post the wrong way. It was about the Ohlins brand and the fact they are percieved as being the best money can buy then the company can sell the product at premium prices.

As for whos got the knowledge of how to tune modern race suspension I'd say Red Fenton must have huge experience but he isn't doing it for a living.

The guy with the best resources and contacts I can think of in NZ would have to be you. But if you charged $50 and hour with a minium of 1/2 hour increments for labour at the track (not an unreasonable rate) you would be garanteed to have plenty of spare time on your hands. Or are your paying customers subsidising the ones you help for free!

Is the after sales service actually free or is it already incorporated into the initial cost of the shock?

I thought Ohlins had a minimum retail price policy. Not RRP.
    http://www.ema-usa.com/suspension/su...n_ohlins.shtml
    http://www.hardracing.com/Shocks%20&...amp/Ohlins.htm
    Unfortunately, as of Jan. 2008 Ohlins has gone to MAP Pricing.
    That means, ALL CERTIFIED OHLINS DEALERS, MUST show Retail Pricing.
    If they are NOT Showing Retail pricing, then they probably are Not a CERTIFIED Ohlins Dealer.
    Or, they can No Longer purchase Ohlins Products. Those are the Rules.
    BUT, the Good news is, this is the U.S.A. where you can SELL it for a Fair SALE PRICE.

Why did Ohlins do this?

Ultimately the market sets the cost to the consumer.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
    Just wanna bump this, so it doesn't get lost.

I have an OE Ohlins in my Gas Gas. Thing is - that bike will probably fall apart before hitting 20k let alone 40k! Has about 350 hours enduro/trail riding on the shock which is ~6 years old.

I have an aftermarket on the Triumph. Given the infomation above, I think this one is a while off needing as service.

Cheers
    Luke
    Just to clarify further I had only answered with respect to road bikes, not so much race or offroad.

Offroad interval 20 hours and ceratinly no more than 30

Thread Information