Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Service interval on an Ohlins rear shock

Bike
    1989 Honda NC30

Service interval on an Ohlins rear shock

Robert Taylor, looking in your direction...

How often does a Ohlins rear shock need servicing? Is it based on mileage or time?

It's a TR-602 for a Daytona 675.

Thanks
    Luke
    #24 1989 Honda NC30

Bike
    1992 ZXR250C 2008 ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post

How often does a Ohlins rear shock need servicing? Is it based on mileage or time?

Thanks
    Luke
    It would be great to actually know this dude! I await some actual facts soon too *eagerly awaits*
    I thought it was some crazy number... hmmmm ... like every 2 thousand on track and 7 thousand on road (these are broken wrong and I know it!!!)
    Why is it that road shocks do not need servicing more?.... having huge bumps and all you would have thought a smoother race track would be nicer on them eh?
    holding the line...

Bike
    GSX1100
    Quote Originally Posted by steelestring View Post
    It would be great to actually know this dude! I await some actual facts soon too *eagerly awaits*
    I thought it was some crazy number... hmmmm ... like every 2 thousand on track and 7 thousand on road (these are broken wrong and I know it!!!)
    Why is it that road shocks do not need servicing more?.... having huge bumps and all you would have thought a smoother race track would be nicer on them eh?
    I would like to no this one to....

Bike
    None

Thanks
    Luke
    Up to 40000 kilometres, ideally for best performance every 20000 ks. MUST be serviced by an approved and FACTORY TRAINED Ohlins dealer, not those who say ''I can do it, its easy'' In Wellington Pat McClachlan at Motomart, no-one else in Wellington has the training or is privy to constant and ongoing factory updates, Pat has been trained by a Swedish engineer we had out here.

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Up to 40000 kilometres, ideally for best performance every 20000 ks. MUST be serviced by an approved and FACTORY TRAINED Ohlins dealer, not those who say ''I can do it, its easy'' In Wellington Pat McClachlan at Motomart, no-one else in Wellington has the training or is privy to constant and ongoing factory updates, Pat has been trained by a Swedish engineer we had out here.
    Wow thats an aweful lot of tracktime!

I'd say they also need servicing when they fail the visual inspection. eg. Oil leaking out around shaft seal etc.

Also when the fail the jump up and down on test. eg. don't appear to be providing correct damping etc.

You'd think rear shocks would need far more servicing than forks but I suppose forks are subjected to all sorts of side loadings and exposed to the weather and grit more.

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    MUST be serviced by an approved and FACTORY TRAINED Ohlins dealer, not those who say ''I can do it, its easy''
    Is there anyone in Auckland? I noticed that Cyclespot Honda have a stand with Ohlins gear on it - can't remember if I saw the CKT logo or not
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Pretty sure I saw a DIY rebuild kit on special in The Warehouse's latest brochure

40,000 is pretty impressive - most stock shocks would be toast by then

Still waiting for my lotto numbers to come in .... how come the shit you really want is never on no deposit, no interest and a zillion years to pay?

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    40,000 is pretty impressive - most stock shocks would be toast by then
    It's from Sweden so it has to be good. I drive a Volvo and I have Ohlins in my bike
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by R6_kid View Post
    Is there anyone in Auckland? I noticed that Cyclespot Honda have a stand with Ohlins gear on it - can't remember if I saw the CKT logo or not
    Thats a work in progress. I will be up there for a couple of days each month ( commencing this Thursday ) to do prearranged work and do training.

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Botany Honda are well versed in dealing with Dr Rob

They are now well drilled in either receiving shocks from him and fitting, or removing them and sending them down for service. Hornet's was pulled out after about 50,000km (could definitely feel it needed a service) and a heavier one put in (which arrived juuuust in time for service).

Zapf has his original shock (was in mine) on his Hornet now, back to the Ohlins loving
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1989 Honda NC30
    Thanks Couple more questions...

Does it matter what kind of km's? i.e track vs road etc. Also, does it make a difference between aftermarket replacement Ohlins and Ohlins that came OE with the bike?

Cheers
    Luke
    Last edited by lukemillar; 28th October 2009 at 08:48. Reason: spelling
    #24 1989 Honda NC30

Bike
    1989 Honda NC30
    Quote Originally Posted by R6_kid View Post
    It's from Sweden so it has to be good. I drive a Volvo and I have Ohlins in my bike
    Same with Swedish chicks! Have you ever seen an ugly one?
    #24 1989 Honda NC30

Bike
    GSXR450
    Thanks Couple more questions...

Does it matter what kind of km's? i.e track vs road etc. Also, do it make a difference between aftermarket replacement Ohlins and Ohlins that came OE with the bike?

Cheers
    Luke

Robert is away today mate, but am sure he will reply in time.
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    ZX10R ZZR1100 KLR650
    I'm sure there is another Suspension Tech living in the Wgtn area and is known for his modest prices.
    He's is at most race meetings and have even seen him at track days too, drives a white truck.
    Can't think of his name at present but some of the race guy's on here will tell you.
    Seems to be an ever increasing number of bikes in the pits carrying his logo, must be doing good work.

Thanks
    Luke
    Authorised K-tech Sales and Service.
    http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/Sus...#mcnzstocklist

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by _STAIN_ View Post
    I'm sure there is another Suspension Tech living in the Wgtn area and is known for his modest prices.
    He's is at most race meetings and have even seen him at track days too, drives a white truck.
    Can't think of his name at present but some of the race guy's on here will tell you.
    Seems to be an ever increasing number of bikes in the pits carrying his logo, must be doing good work.

He is there "KerryD" and there are other people about that tinker with stuff, but only a few are trained by Ohlin's tech people and are dealers of that product
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Thread Information