Thread: New bike, new PB and a Red Flag : Gah’s VMCC Rnd 6

Bike
    2007 ZX6R Racebike

New bike, new PB and a Red Flag : Gah’s VMCC Rnd 6

Having missed the last round it’s been almost 2 months since I was last on a bike and having sold my race bike before last round, it was only my second outing on the new Red ‘07 ZX6R.

Friday Test day

Early morning rain meant the first 2 sessions were on wet tyres. Taking it easy the wet laps were within a few seconds of my dry times. At the end of the 2nd session I was ready to change to dry tyres.

The transition to the new bike was relatively smooth with only a slight twitchiness on slow corner entries. Dennis from CKT suggested backing off the steering damping (first time I had one these as they are not stock on the ZX) and it seemed to solve the problem. Robert Taylor then checked the sag I’d previously set and with a thumbs up I was confident to push it a little harder. The new clutch spec that Gav from AutoMech set up for me worked a treat. The improved lever position and enhanced slip eliminated all rear wheel wiggle as I banged down the gears.

By the end of the day I was consistently into my PB times enjoying the spare mid range on hand.

Saturday Race day.
    A dry track greeted us and looked likely to stay with only slightly overcast skies to be seen.

F2 Qualifying
    I had an unscrubbed front tyre so took the first lap or so cautiously. I found some space to push a bit harder and the session ended all too early. Qualified 21st with a 1:17.

F1 Qualifying
    Fully awake and ready to ride hard I got a little held up by a slower group. I had a faster lap time of 1:16 but in a more competitive field qualified further back in 26th

F2 Race 1
    I lined up with lots of confidence in the bike setup and keen to test the new clutch setup. I rev the engine, the lights go out and I drop the clutch….and the engine bogs…. Instantly 2 rows speed past
    Determined not to lose anymore places I push through the next 3 corners to take a couple of places. I get into a familiar battle with Nick Prestidge, Aria and Geoff Booth. Getting past Aria first as I make good use of the extra midrange then horse power past Nick’s 749 and Geoff’s SV650. Suffering from spongy rubber brake lines and stock pads I do my best to block Nick’s late braking moves. The remainder of the race was spent more defending places rather than chasing the leaders which I do until the race is Red flagged by a very sad looking Kev (Wharfy) lying on the infield on the entry to the hairpin. I finished 17th with a best lap time of 1:15.

F1 Race 1
    Having time to think about what went wrong with the last start, I line up with the engine revving much higher. The lights go out and … I bog the engine a second time
    I quickly gain the lost ground by the first corner and hold my place until the hairpin. I find myself in a battle with Nick, Aria, Ken Christison and John Baker. Somewhere I get past Nick and Aria but I get stuck behind a difficult to pass Ken C. After a couple of attempts to cut up the inside I hold my breath and dive up the inside at Higgins. Ken stands the bike up a little but we do not touch and I put on the chase to John who is now well into the distance. I ride the next couple laps by myself finishing 17th with a best lap time of 1:15.

F2 Race 2
    Determined to get a good start I concentrate on holding the engine revs and clutch at the balance point. The lights go out and I get a good jump off the line (finally). I see Mark Bennett’s leathers in the distance and I chase hard. I can feel the pace is much quicker and everyone is getting good drive out of the corners. For once I’m competitive and can stay with them. Darrin comes from behind and inches past and finds a way past Martin Billings whom I have been chasing for a while. Mark is still leading the group while I try to find a way past Martin. An attempt to outbrake Martin at turn 1 and Higgins is difficult with the stock lines/pads. Trying not to lose touch I get on the throttle hard out of the hairpin, the rear slides and throws me out of my seat. My first thought was ‘I can save this’ not realising I was still gaining altitude where I lose hold of the bars. I hear the scrape of metal on tarmac and then feel my helmet hit the ground. After a few moments I open my eyes to see bikes exiting the hairpin coming toward me. I try to get off the track but cannot move.
    Eventually the Marshalls and Ambulance come to me and I earn a trip to Palmy Hospital. After a long wait in ED in a neck brace with my head taped to the bed, a chat with Kev (Wharfy) and Sandra S, and some x-rays. I am released to AJ’s care without any broken bones but unable to walk with a very bruised right hip.

However, the Red flag took positions back to the previous lap, so I finish the race in 16th with a new PB of 1:14

Not exactly how I wanted to end the series or my first race outing on the new bike but I was lucky to have the support of everyone in my team who sorted my gear after the racing.

Special thanks goes to:
    AJ for picking me up from the Hospital and Wharfy for waiting around for me.
    Dave, Dayna and Keelim for packing up my Van.
    Marcus and Dom for driving me home.
    Again the Vic Club has put on another fantastic well run series and their invaluable team of volunteers !

And finally thanks goes to my sponsors who have made racing possible for me this season: Metzeler Tyres, Maxima Oils, Botany Honda and TripleZee Cycles.

Bike
    Mid 80s superbike, Mid 00s superbike
    Good to see your lap times falling mate. Imagine what times you would've gotten if you'd done all four races
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Ok im coming out of my closet just this one time , I too kinda have a curvy figure which makes it worse beacuse im a guy. Well the waist kinda goes in and the bum pushes out. When I was in college the girls in my year would slap me on the arse and squeeze because apparently it is firm, tight... I wear jeans
    .....if I find this as a signature Ill hunt you down, serious, capice?

Bike
    CBR150 Bucket
    I feel your pain man. Sounds like that new bike is going to work out good. Have a speedy summer.

Bike
    600RR3
    Damn, Gah, that was pretty scary seeing you KO'd in the middle of the track with bikes approaching the hairpin and they only had a yellow flag out! Glad that no one ran over you!

14's though, nice! Will be good to see you out there. I'd better get along to another MotoTT track day and win another helmet to sell ya though

Bike
    Honda Hornet 250

Angry

Glad to hear your okay but i can't help but think that there is another ACC stat that we are all going to end up paying for....

Bike
    SV650
    Good times on the new bike, was a pity to see it and you on the deck

See ya out there next time
    K Ryan #119
    supported by
    Motodynamix, One tonne apparel, Pirelli, EBC brakes, AGV, Clover, RST, EK Chains, Repsol
    Thanks for your support

Bike
    03 Hornet 900, 08 Daytona 675 race bike
    Good times Gah, 1:14 !!
    I was a bit shocked to see you in A & E with a neck brace on - Kinda stuck for words - which is not usually a trait of mine ! I was very glad to see you limp out under your own steam.
    See ya at thr Tri-series
    "You never understood that it ain't no good, you shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you" - Bob Dylan

Bike
    GSXR1000K2, 89 GSXR1100K
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaBoy View Post
    Eventually the Marshalls and Ambulance come to me and I earn a trip to Palmy Hospital. After a long wait in ED in a neck brace with my head taped to the bed, a chat with Kev (Wharfy) and Sandra S, and some x-rays. I am released to AJ’s care without any broken bones but unable to walk with a very bruised right hip.
    You would think by now the hospital would have an extra doctor on and a spare room available when ever the Vic Club has a race meeting.
    How to make a small fortune out of motorcycle racing, start out with a BIG fortune

Bike
    A Hazard!
    Blog Entries
    Hey Gah.........

Good to hear that there were no broken bones...

Congrats on the PB....ummmm maybe next time you break your PB you don't break yourself at the same time eh!!!!

Take care and heal quick...

Good luck for your summer racing and have fun on that new bike aye.......

Bike
    Yamama
    Well done mate was a bit worried when i found out about your accident i missed that race because of another accident! any way well done on the pb and heal fast mate
    Ride it like you stole it....

Bike
    GSXR 750 k6
    Good about the PB, bad about the off and didnt realise my fat bum was so hard to pass! was great to have a chat again after a very long time. Hope to catch ya in the summer (literally).
    Wouldn't be racing if it wasn't for:MotoMart, Pirelli, EBC Brakes, Ripecoffee.co.nz, Slotmedia.co.nz, Totalbodyshop.co.nz and Wurth

Bike
    tedium
    Gah, a pleasure seeing you as always and your continuously positive attitude is impressive.

Damn the ZX-6's look horny in red.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Bike
    2007 ZX6R Racebike
    Thanks everyone for your words of support and encouragement. The damage to the bike is mostly superficial and I'm keen to get back on asap. However my injuries are a little more extensive and so I'm out until Dec. I'm booked in for the 3 Hour Endurance race and the Taupo round of the Tri-series, so concentrating on healing up for this. Seeya all then!!

Bike
    1992 VFR400R, 2007 SV650 Pro Twin
    Gah, that's a shocker, bit of a high side. Nothing worse really. You're obviously getting a lot faster. Will hopefully be at a few races in the near future.

See you soon man.

Thread Information