Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy from Texas (Tex)

Bike
    2004 FLHRCI

Howdy from Texas (Tex)

Well, my first post..... .

My computer has indigestion, so no telling how long I can access this site tonight.

I ride a HD 2004 FLHRCI with an engine I built a couple of years ago (114 cubic inch motor) with all the good stuff like Nikasil cylinders, SnS cases, heads and valve train as well as my latest addition which is a 2" exhaust system by RB Racing in California which is a 2 into 1. The bike is a road bike and not a racing bike. I am quite proficient on the Daytona Twin Tech TCFI II and IId fuel injection system with a Kuryakyn 57mm throttle body since I have been working on that system for about 3 years or so. I am an enthusiast and not a mechanic ..... but I tinker which often turns into a larger project than expected. The bike is on the rack at present getting a bit of TLC.

I ride about 15k miles a year (kilometers ya got me, still using that old English/American stuff). I don't tour much but I get out and about as often as possible. A nice weekend ride is about 240 miles or so.

Today was a beautiful day, lots of sunshine and fairly warm at mid-day about 75 degrees Farenheit. It was a perfect day for the annual Texas State HD rally in Galveston, Texas. Lots and lots of bikes on the roads today. Maybe 100 thousand or more showed up today and thousands of bikes in town for the rally. Galveston is about 30 miles from my home.

I live about 2 miles for the Johnson Space Center near Houston, Texas. So, traffic is a concern until you get out to the boonies where you can ride. A couple of years ago, I toured all of New Mexico, USA. Northern New Mexico is quite beautiful, mountains everywhere, elevations to 10k feet and lots of trees as far as you can see. At the end of the trip, I rode from Taos, New Mexico to Pecos, Texas which is about 840 miles taking the scenic route. I did that in one day from sun up to sun down and I have no desire to do that again!

I am an attorney at law but that doesn't have much to do with why I am here. I am here to learn more about New Zealand. I guess you guys are headed towards mid-summer. Hopefully, I will be able to get my "points" transferred to an airline so I can head to New Zealand around February. I have a trial in February, so I hope I can make it there before it gets cold, after the trial. I guess I will have a lot of questions about weather in New Zealand as well as other matters concering roads, riding and location since I might rent a HD while I am there and tour a bit ....... if I can get used to turning left to go right or whatever I need to do to keep from being on the wrong side of the road.

I am quite pleased that this communication is in writing since I called New Zealand the other day and I understood about every 5th word the fellow in New Zealand spoke! He had a bit of a different rythm to his speech pattern than the Texas drawl we speak "in these parts."

FWIW, it is 8:30 P.M. here.

Lookin' forward to visiting with you guys.

Tex

Bike
    XR200
    Welcome to the madhouse Tex and there are lots of helpful people here. 'Course only the mad ones actually post....

New Zealand in February is a good time, the weather is warm and generally settled that month. Probably not as hot and dry as Texas in summer but still very nice.

NZ is a motorcyclists mecca. Lots of twisting roads and great scenery. The North Island is a bit like Oregon - volcanoes and hills plus beaches. It holds 3 million of our 4 million population.

The South Island is more like Colorado - beautiful mountains and lakes plus more beaches. Long highspeed roads plus plenty of curves and twisties. We don't have a lot of motorways (freeways) so you might be a bit shocked to find much of our main highway is a two-lane blacktop. Doesn't matter, gets you there and lots of fun.

We have a maritime climate which means rain is possible any time of the year. It might be worth having some waterproof clothing.

Bike
    None at the moment
    Gidday Tex, yup as Winston said it is a good place to ride...most roads here actually have corners (maybe something you are not familiar with). It does not take too long to get used to riding on the wrong side of the road, although its easier to come to grips with it in a car or "ve-HIC-le" as you folks call em. I was up your way a few years ago, and found Houston way too hot and humid, but loved Austin and San Antonio...

In Febuary the weather is not too bad, maybe a bit on the cold side compared to your dog days of 100+. anything over 25degC (77F) is good here.

Anyway ride safe and look forward to havin ya around here where it can be our turn to say "yer not from around here are ya boy!"

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Gutta be tillin' ya Tex Bore, it aint na bug thang....
    We just sound like a Texan of speed, or a very fast horse, y'all choose...

Welcome to KB, the fast biker site in the west...yeeeeeeeeehoooooaa!!!!!!

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Welcome. Hope you manage to get out and about on a bike here in NZ, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Welcome Tex, keep posting on here and yer mental state will go downhill!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Welcome Tex, keep posting on here and yer mental state will go downhill!
    Sure about that? We might be able to educate the poor wee lamb. There's a whole world outside Texas...
    Little known factoid. Texas is the second biggest state. If you cut Alaska in half, Texas would be the third.
    I'm told that Texans hate that...
    Still - love to have you here. Lots of places have arrows painted on the road to tell you what side you should be on. Some of the residents treat them as a loose suggestion.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    XR600

Oi

Gidday, how ya be? Im in california right now... been here for a bit, orginally from NZ, and there's a Kb person in Texas too. So dont think you that far from Kiwiland.
    Yes you Kb lot.
    There are Kber's all over the globe. so if ya ever wanna go land hopping drop me a line ya bloody buggers. ill get ya at LAX.
    But NZ is a place of dreams for riding. if ya ned any help with the top of the north island let me know. i know who ya need to talk to.

TIE

Andrew
    Lost in USA

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Hey Tex. Just want to let you know how much smaller everything is here (that way you will resist the Texan temptation to tell us how much bigger everything is back home!).

Welcome to KB and don't let the Trolls give you any shit.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post
    ...don't let the Trolls give you any shit.
    Here you....gerroff my bridge!!
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Here you....gerroff my bridge!!
    With your beard you're more of the billy goat gruff than the troll!

Bike
    Close enough. I've given up the virgins for breakfast thing tho. Getting hard to find now...bloody Weegies coming over here, snapping up the young lovelies.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Close enough. I've given up the virgins for breakfast thing tho. Getting hard to find now...bloody Weegies coming over here, snapping up the young lovelies.
    Ach - ye're half weegie yersel! No maidens in Hawkes Bay any more then?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post
    Ach - ye're half weegie yersel! No maidens in Hawkes Bay any more then?
    Tha'll explain it then. The Scots must breathe a sigh o' rrrelief everytime anither Weegie leaves their misty shores....

Don't mind us, Tex. We're a canny lot. We canny help oorsel's

Bike
    zephyr kawazaki 1998
    Hello here although I am not kiwi but KB yes I am or try...
    And mind you since I am here I still have difficulties to cope with writing NZ messages..;as english is not my mother tongue it's even more difficcult for me but I do enjoy being there,lotta friendly guys here (you see I learnt that nw word lotta for lot of).
    I am sure I will improve myself very soon.
    And lucky you to come over and ride.
    Enjoy your time.
    And yes I think KB's are little crazy but that's so good!!

Thread Information