Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's got a long one. Memory that is

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe

Who's got a long one. Memory that is

My memory says that once there wasn't a separate ACC category for bikes. We were just in with cars and vans and shit.

But I can't remember why I think that or when it changed if it did.

Does anyone know? Please?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

My memory is long gone.When ACC came in I was doing things to my brain cells that sent many to premature retirement.Concensus here is that we weren't told - it wasn't broken down into categories,just a rego fee.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    motocompo
    About 12 years ago, we got our own seperate levy, which at the time, was somwhere around 20 dollars cheaper than the car levy.
    Bikers at the time actually lobbied to get it raised back up to the car levy, believing that once we were on our own, it could be raised as easily as it was lowered.

Bike
    SV1000s
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    About 12 years ago, we got our own seperate levy, which at the time, was somwhere around 20 dollars cheaper than the car levy.
    Bikers at the time actually lobbied to get it raised back up to the car levy, believing that once we were on our own, it could be raised as easily as it was lowered.
    No it was earlier than that. Try some time aound 78-80. I remember participating in the protest ride through Wellington and I sold that bike and left for the UK for 13 years in 1980.
    "There must be a one-to-one correspondence between left and right parentheses, with each left parenthesis to the left of its corresponding right parenthesis."

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    No it was earlier than that. Try some time aound 78-80. I remember participating in the protest ride through Wellington and I sold that bike and left for the UK for 13 years in 1980.
    Well then it happened again sometime while you were away, but thinking about it, it was a lot longer ago than i originally said, may be nearer to 20 years.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    I've been looking back at oldish relicence slips...I'm confused.
    Some are orange and some are green, and the rates on each are different.
    The green form is "Renewal of Motor Vehicle Licence".
    The orange form is "Application for Motor Vehicle Licence".
    Yet in the below bikes the rego was continuous.
    1. GSXR1100 due 07/2005 ACC Levy $189.02. Due 07/2006 $166.50. Both orange.
    2. GSXR750 due 05/2008 $166.50. Due 05/2009 $204.66. Both green
    3. EL250 due 03/2006 $189.02 Orange. Due 09/2006 $166.50 Green.
    4. VT250 due 03/2006 $189.02 Orange. Due 09/2006 $166.50 Green. Due 04/2008 $166.50. Green.
    5. EX500 due 09/2009 $252.69 Green.

All of them state that the fee covers a 12 month period. So even if I did a 3 month (say) at some point in the history, it still doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by MSTRS; 3rd November 2009 at 10:52.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    well, the $166, $204, $252 are easy enough. The levy goes up each year (about $40). My dockets show the same numbers .

I don't know about the $189 one. That would imply that between 03/2006 and 07/2006 the levy went DOWN. It's possible, those months are in different licensing years (licensing year is July to June), but an ACC levy going DOWN? Especially on motorcycles? Doesn't seem very probable. I'll try to find one of mine from that period.
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Well then it happened again sometime while you were away, but thinking about it, it was a lot longer ago than i originally said, may be nearer to 20 years.
    there was a protest in 1979 (+/- a year) , but I don't think that as when the motorcycle specific class happened. I was at the TownHall for it, but I'm blowed if I can remember the details. I just remember I was agin it.

Another in 1993 , but that was definately an increase proposal.

I doubt there would have been any mass protest about setting up a motorcycle class, i don't think they cahnged the levy at the time (or not much anyway).

Bike
    SV1000s
    Blog Entries
    It's the only protest I've been involved in and I'm pretty sure that increasing bike ACC levy changres above cars was exactly what it was about!

Remember, I was out of the country for 13+ years after that and didn't start riding again until '04
    "There must be a one-to-one correspondence between left and right parentheses, with each left parenthesis to the left of its corresponding right parenthesis."

Bike
    All the protests have been about increasing ACC levies.

What i want is when bikes got their own account

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    All the protests have been about increasing ACC levies.

What i want is when bikes got their own account
    The day they seperated all the different accounts is the day that ACC as a whole fell apart... the bigger the pool the better the scheme works for all accidents... The smaller the seperate accounts etc the less the scheme actually works... it shouldn't be like that it was never designed to be like that... the idea of it was to cross subsidise so it didn't matter where the money came from as long as ACC as a whole had enough to cover people in general don't care who is paying what...

my ACC in my PAYE is suppose to cover me for any thing I do as a citizen and that includes driving or riding a motorcycle... technically the levy on the rego should only be a top up

Bike
    Absolutely correct . WHEN WAS IT ?

Bike
    SV1000s
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkNZ View Post
    my ACC in my PAYE is suppose to cover me for any thing I do as a citizen and that includes driving or riding a motorcycle... technically the levy on the rego should only be a top up
    And that pretty much nails it too!

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Absolutely correct . WHEN WAS IT ?
    umm sorry my memory not that good either on dates... hell I can't even remember my BDay let alone hers...

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    It wouldn't have been in 99 when they brought in private competition, would it?
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Thread Information