Thread: Lowered Triumph St3r - now need new stand?

Bike
    2009 Triumph Street Triple R

Lowered Triumph St3r - now need new stand?

I've heard through a few channels here in Australia that in NZ ur just as crazy about the beautiful Trumpy's as we are here

This is brilliant as I just bought myself a s/h 09 St3r a month ago (it had only done 3000ks & has a full arrow system!!!), I knew I didn't fit on it right, but knew the suspension was flexible enough to be lowered by a few different ways. So, I'm 5'2" with a 31" inseam & on ebay sourced (& had installed) a turnbuckle style lowering link (pictured below & lowered view of st3r by 2.5cm). I now hav the balls of my feet on the ground & am very happy!!

Unfortunately I'm now in search of a shorter side stand due to this mod and given I also like spinning my bike around on its stand (to get in & out of tight spaces / parkings etc) I prefer to replace it with a steel one. Correct me if what i've been told is wrong, but apparently the stock stand is made of a soft metal (aluminium), so if I continue to spin my bike on its stand it can break @ any time & moreso if its shortened to suit the lowering I've done as shortening weakens it more...?

Can anyone suggest who/where I can find a shorter, steel side stand for my St3r? I'm happy to look in the UK, US or NZ as I've had no luck at all in AU.

BTW - I can't wait for hubby & I to get back to NZ. What a stunning country u hav there, gr8 ppl, gr8 food, & NZbike helped make our last holiday a brilliant one in Auckland with the bikes we hired!! CC & QT r next on bike holiday hit list!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trumpy lowering link.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	150407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	075.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	150408  

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the site, and nice choice of bike.

I'd make my own .....

Or pop it down to any decent engineering firm - they will be able to weld one up easily.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Welcome to the site, and nice choice of bike.

I'd make my own .....

Or pop it down to any decent engineering firm - they will be able to weld one up easily.
    Yes I would agree that it is best to get one made.

Have you tried British and Custom's website?

Welcome to the site. Bike looks sweet.

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    Looks like it's made from cast alloy - it can be cut and welded but it won't look too nice.

I'd say buy an aftermarket one, you can get adjustable ones too which is good - lowering bikes is a pretty common thing in the States so you should be able to find something on Ebay.
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    MOTARD
    just cut a bit of the bottom and weld the foot back on... worked for me.
    Eagals may soar but weasals dont get sucked into jet engines

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
    just cut a bit of the bottom and weld the foot back on..
    I agree, BUT take the bike in there and show them how you stand-pivot it, just so they know what sort of work it has to do. Until I saw a stand-pivot (aren't they fun!) I had no idea how much abuse it could take.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Thanks everyone, damn ur responses r quick compared to the aussie forums!!
    Thx re bike choice & yes I'm both happy & respectful of my st3r - I'm still getting used to the very different throttle from my 250 & I can't hear myself think with the arrow system - BUT ITS HOT

I've located an engineer close by in Melbourne & will visit in 12-days when I'm off licensing restrictions (& can legally ride it) to c if he can in fact provide a new side stand based on how i use it... I'll b one happy woman if he can make me one

I'm also scanning the UK/US sites 4 custom's - so far i've found generic only, but at least i hav more information coming thru which is gr8

Bike
    your mum
    Blog Entries
    cast alloy just cracks in half, seen someone snap one in half while spinning a duke on the stand in a bike shop lol

MFSC lives on!

Bike
    It's a Ninja,that's why you can't see it
    Ok, I'll ask the question that most people are thinking - what is (and more importantly how do you do) a stand pivot?

Bike
    Sidewinder - Good to have this confirmed

Ok, here's the man who actually taught me how to spin my bike on its stand, as well as how to pick up my bike if I dropped it (in the early days this was a big source of frustration!)

I find the first method very easy & the second a little harder.... so of course I stick to what I'm comfy with, yet they both hav their place dependant on ur bike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWWnf0niufk

Thread Information