Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha FZX250 Zeal

Bike
    FZX 250 Zeal
    Not yet im afraid.
    The cdi is on its way from australia to here (UK) you see. Zeals are pretty much non-existant over here.

Im gonna strip the carburettors again while its sat in bits.
    Hopefully the cdi should arrive next week.
    Do you have a manual for your zeal, im using the FZR 400 one at the minute.

Bike
    FZX 250 Zeal
    Unfortunately the CDI didn't fix it.
    There is a connection for a pipe on the back of the tank but nothing is on it? Whats that for?

Bike
    Mighty Zeal! c",?
    No workshop manual could be found on the net sir, I believe its in Japanese only though....

Quote Originally Posted by doctorprox
    Unfortunately the CDI didn't fix it.
    There is a connection for a pipe on the back of the tank but nothing is on it? Whats that for?
    I think it s the breather...

Let's wait for the posts of our co-Zeal lovers! Calling Sir Erik, Jrandom, Blakamin...?Please help us

Bike
    FZX 250 Zeal
    Its annoying, it can like accelerate through 1, 2 and 3 and then when you get into the higher gears like 5th and 6th it starts to die off like it has no fuel, and gradually slows down.

Bike
    Mighty Zeal! c",?
    I wish to help, but I dont even have the courage to get my gas tank off to check the air-filter...I simply want to learn more online about he thingy before I continue with my attempt to clean/replace/inspect things to avoid a more complicated situation with my bike...

Im sure the gurus here could help.

You could also visit other forums for similar problems such as yours, and find out why things happen... Good luck sir!

Again, Calling Sir Erik, Jrandom, Blakamin...?Please help us

Bike
    01 250 Yamaha Zeal
    NOT RELATED TO YOUR CHAT but still about a ZEAL

I'm about to go buy my first bike and I want to make it a Zeal. Unfortunatly, there aren't that many in Europe and the one I want is 2000Kms away. Never the less I am going to getr it. But any clues on how to bring it back home (a trailer, I suppose?). And anything particular to check before buying? Common Problems with Zeals (althew I see there shouldn't be all that many). How old is too old for a Zeal? This one says it's first registred in 2001 but I hardly belive that. Or should I? Did they still make Zeals in 2001? And what I'd like most would be some pictures of actual people riding zeals, just to see if I'm not too tall for one . Thanks a lot for your time, NewZealenders.

Bike
    FZX 250 Zeal
    I think it will probably have been imported in 2001, not made. They were never officially imported to the UK.
    I would check for the usual stuff like pitted forks etc etc.
    The bike will probably be quite old so i wouldnt pay too much for it.
    Make sure you check the exhaust is ok because they tend to rust inside and fall apart. Take it for a spin and try and max it out, this is what i didnt do and it is an indication of the exhaust condition (mine maxed out at 100kph due to the exhaust being in bits).

How tall are you, the seat is quite low but i am 5'10" and i felt really comfortable on it.

Bike
    01 250 Yamaha Zeal
    The bike is in Belgium (1200 miles away) and is up for 1500 euros (2000+ USD) at a shop/garage (not a private sale). It's mid winter here so 100mph on snow with a newbie like me on board is not that responsable. I suppose I can rev it to the redline and keep it there just to see haw the engine and the exhaust perform but for the clutch/gearbox/chain, it's quite difficult to push. I'm 6'1" (I think, we here use metric, not imperial and in metric I'm 185cm). I didn't even know they made 250 fours till I saw the add for this bike. We don't have that whatever law sparked the making of this bikes for your market. I was about to get a suzuki GS500 for 2300euros but that was a v twin and I feel I can pass as a 600-750 esely here with the zeal and its 4 cylinders. Noone here knows about this bike. I want it cause it's cheap and seems to be farely reliable. Plus I need a mostly commuter bike and I'm just starting on two wheels (only rode scooters till now).

Bike
    FZX 250 Zeal
    Thats a long way to go for a bike. Bear in mind the Zeal is a 250 so its not very quick because it has hardly any torque (you wont convince people its a 600 as soon as you start riding).
    Also the GS is an inline twin as far a im aware and will be a lot quicker and easier on fuel.

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S
    I don't think you'll learn much about the engine from revving it at redline with no load. Plus I don't think the guy selling it would be too happy. If you do this, make sure the bike is fully warmed up first.

I haven't had many problems with my Zeal and can't think of anything specific to look out for.

I'm about 194cm and 100kg and fit the Zeal ok, although I've heard other people of the same size complaining that it's too small. It probably does suit smaller riders better than larger riders as the seat height is fairly low.

It looks like they did make Zeals in 2001:
    http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Yamaha/2...%20250%20Zeal/

If it's like my Zeal, (a 1991 model but doesn't look like they've changed much) one thing that makes it not such a great commuter is the fuel economy. I only get about 15-16km/L commuting and when going for a fast ride out on the open roads, this has dropped down to about 12km/L.

The GS500 is a parallel twin, not a V-twin. They are far more economical than Zeals and get about 25-30km/L (from what I've read. maybe more?). A GS500 would probably be a more sensible choice for an economical commuter. Plus a GS500 is simpler (only 2 cylinders and air cooled) and will probably last longer provided you don't bin it.

Bike
    01 250 Yamaha Zeal
    Yes, the GS is a paralel twin, sorry (you have to understend there's been quite a bunch of bikes flapping their wings arround my head lately).

http://home.mobile.de/cgi-bin/homepa...&partnerHead=1

that's the address where the ad is posted (second page). These guys seem to get accident damaged bikes, fix and sell them. But I kind of expected the bike to have been off (both) it's wheels at some time (it has 32000 KM - 20000 miles on it but I don't expect that to be true). And as long as it's properly repared...

I realy had no idea fuel economy on the bike could be that bad. Everyone sais it's a good commuter, and this and that. About the GS, it's about 50% more expensive, some 5-10HP weaker(don't know about the torque thew) and a whole lot uglier then the Zeal.

I know that's a long way but it's a "I'm headed that way anyway" kind of story. Still there's the problem of transporting the bike 2000 km back home. Well, once again the forums prove themselves usefull. You kind of made me wonder...

PS: is it that bad with fuel...I mean my car does 9-10KM/L. I'm starting to consider electric scooters

Bike
    None any more
    PLEASE don't buy a GSX. They are shite, compared to a Zeal. I endorse everything Erik says. Do a site search. Zeals have been lauded several times in the past, and us "fuller figured" gents don't get too squashed up riding them.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    01 250 Yamaha Zeal
    Here's some pictures the guy sent. Maybe you can see something I hanven't. There's some rust behind the exhausts and you can see the seat is not properly alligned on the left side, in the front. Also, at the back, below the stop, it seems the bike has been repainted (the rectangle around the logo). Also the scratches on the brake fluid reservoir cap. And the overall geometry of the rear wheel (or is it just the photo?). And am I right about all these? Also, the chasis no. is 3YX000307. Can someone tell the year the bike was built from that? I tried but came up with different results for each website I found. One even gave 2008 as result and I know that's not right.

The bike is coming to be worth around 2200 euros (3000$) with transport and tax and I really don't want to blow that money.

Thanks for the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP02078.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	323.5 KB 
ID:	25896   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP02077.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	25897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP02076.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	313.0 KB 
ID:	25898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP02075.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	266.7 KB 
ID:	25899   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP02074.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	252.3 KB 
ID:	25900  

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S
    Quote Originally Posted by ovidiudraganescu
    There's some rust behind the exhausts and you can see the seat is not properly alligned on the left side, in the front.
    The rust looks ok to me.
    The front sides of the seat are fastened to the tank by a weird kind of velcro type stuff, on my bike it doesn't actually work so they can move away from the tank a bit. I'd guess that's why the seat doesn't line up perfectly.
    Also, at the back, below the stop, it seems the bike has been repainted (the rectangle around the logo).
    The stickers may have just faded slightly.
    Also the scratches on the brake fluid reservoir cap.
    You mean in the photo showing the speedo and odometer? Just looks like the paint has worn off a bit.
    And the overall geometry of the rear wheel (or is it just the photo?).
    Just the photo. Well, it could be off but it's impossible to tell from just a photo.

Also, the chasis no. is 3YX000307. Can someone tell the year the bike was built from that? I tried but came up with different results for each website I found. One even gave 2008 as result and I know that's not right.

The bike is coming to be worth around 2200 euros (3000$) with transport and tax and I really don't want to blow that money.
    I have no idea about the chassis number/year of manufacture. Maybe ring a bike shop and ask them?

It's a pity you can't have someone local check the bike out for you.

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Overdrive? On a bike? On a Yamaha?

Sorry, got carried away. Anyway, a reason the rear wheel looks out of geometry is that the guy could have puseh the bike to that spot for photos, but he had it on an angle whilst pushing it. The best idea to get a bike year would be to phone up a yamaha dealer and chat give them the chassis number. As Erik said, the rust is fine, a bit of polich will take it out.

Pity you don't have anyone to look it over first.
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Thread Information