Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A interesting and quite intelligent blog from Peter Dunne

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe

A interesting and quite intelligent blog from Peter Dunne

From the unitefutures website

ACC AND MOTORCYLE LEVIES

AUTHOR: Peter Dunne
    The recent protests by motorcyclists over proposed massive increases in ACC levies highlight a problem that occurs all too often.
    Upfront, I think the proposed increases are too steep, and should be revisited. I also think there is an essential conflict between the “no fault” principle which underpins the whole ACC philosophy, and the argument that the costs to ACC from motorcycle accidents outweighs the levies collected from that sector. “No fault” is one of the great strengths of ACC, and to discard it is to fundamentally overturn ACC’s most unique feature.
    However, leaving all that aside, there is a more fundamental issue.
    Too often, governments make decisions on the basis of particular items or machines, and not the people who use them. So, we decide that because, for example, guns are dangerous and can kill or maim people, every single gun has to be licensed, even though a gun without someone to fire it is relatively harmless. Similarly, with motorcycles, we decide that each one of them has to bear an ACC levy, even though they have to be ridden dangerously to cause harm. In short, we blame the machines for the foibles of the users.
    Where does personal responsibility fit into this? Should not the onus be on the individual, rather than the equipment they use? And should the licensing regime reflect this? After all, you can only fire one gun, ride one motorcycle or drive one car at a time.
    In the 1950s and 1960s people used to have a separate radio (and then television) licence for every item they owned. That was on the basis that people probably owned only one radio or television, but as times changed (and transistors arrived, followed shortly after by portable televisions) that quickly changed too, and now we do not even pay a broadcasting fee at all.
    While I do not envisage there will ever be a time where people pay no ACC levies, I do think the current debate provides an opportunity to have a fresh look at the way these levies are imposed. Instead of basing the system on individual items, maybe we should be looking at a flat charge for all motor vehicle owners that could be struck on an annual basis. I acknowledge the potential complexities inherent in such an approach, but I also understand the inequity of the current system.
    We need to strike a better balance, and more of the same in this case simply will not do.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

I'll have to revise my stand on bad haircuts.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    That can't be right - a politician that makes sense and wants something logical It's actually a pity that politicians have to bitch at it other just because they're the "opposition" and can't just put their ego's aside and say "let's work out what is actually best for the country".

Oh well

Nice work from PD though.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Yea not bad.Still wouldnt mind seeing one of these geniuses come up with something worthwhile and do-able like cutting off the thousands upon thousands of benefit fraudsters in this country as a way of helping Govt coffers instead of targeting us.off topic sorry.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    98 Honda Blackbird
    Peter Dunne is a smart bloke and sensible unlike many (most?) other politicians.

Bike
    2018 Ducati Monster 797
    Blog Entries
    He's my local MP and I'm pretty sure has held the seat for many years, not that it's any thanks to my votes, but now I can see why the locals vote for him, that was very sensible!

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Trudes View Post
    He's my local MP and I'm pretty sure has held the seat for many years, not that it's any thanks to my votes, but now I can see why the locals vote for him, that was very sensible!
    Been around since 84,didnt know to much about him until i read this thread so had a interweb gander.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    2018 Ducati Monster 797
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Been around since 84,didnt know to much about him until i read this thread so had a interweb gander.
    A looooooooooonggggggggg time! Nobody else really gets a look in around here at election time. I knew my vote for the local Legalise Cannabis Party member would be a waste, but hey, you gotta vote for what you believe in eh.

Bike
    Triumph
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm. Peter Dunne...
    As usual simplistic and obvious. No use at all.
    Mr Dunne, the old adage that guns don't kill people, people kill people is nonsense.
    People kill people WITH guns.
    But you have to take all the support you can get....so I suppose...
    Nah, screw him, he's part of the problem not the solution.
    Peter Dunne..

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by NONONO View Post
    People kill people WITH guns.
    Take away the guns people will still kill people... but the gun won't

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    A looooooooooonggggggggg time! Nobody else really gets a look in around here at election time. I knew my vote for the local Legalise Cannabis Party member would be a waste, but hey, you gotta vote for what you believe in eh.
    Whatever happen to the McGillicuddy Serious Party?

Now there was some genius politics.

Bike
    2018 Ducati Monster 797
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peasea View Post
    Whatever happen to the McGillicuddy Serious Party?

Now there was some genius politics.
    I know! I used to vote for them and then they went away, maybe to some far away island where they are living self-sufficant lives. Happened at about the same time as MMP came about, perhaps they were worried the voters who are discontented with the big blowhard partys may actually vote enough for them to get a seat in the big house!!

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    I know! I used to vote for them and then they went away, maybe to some far away island where they are living self-sufficant lives. Happened at about the same time as MMP came about, perhaps they were worried the voters who are discontented with the big blowhard partys may actually vote enough for them to get a seat in the big house!!
    Damned shame if you ask me, if they HAD managed a seat it would have livened things up no-end and brought millions in tourist dollars to the country. Imagine the public gallery; it'd be the size of the biscuit tin.

Bike
    2010 CB 1000 R, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Yea not bad.Still wouldnt mind seeing one of these geniuses come up with something worthwhile and do-able like cutting off the thousands upon thousands of benefit fraudsters in this country as a way of helping Govt coffers instead of targeting us.off topic sorry.
    Nah I like ya post mate
    As long as its the fraudsters and not the truly temporary needful, I agree
    Just ride.

Bike
    Triumph
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkNZ View Post
    Take away the guns people will still kill people... but the gun won't
    No correlation there then...
    People With guns kill people faster, better, more often and with much less effort or pre meditation....
    I repeat
    Peter Dunne..

Thread Information