Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: QUESTION about Fender Eliminator for 636

Bike
    06, 636

Lightbulb QUESTION about Fender Eliminator for 636

Hi,
    Im thinking for getting fender eliminator for my 636 and just wondering if putting my number plate underneath as they show on the pic illegal in NZ?..also on the last pic, are those the rear indicators? So I probably have to get them as well..
    Any suggestion would be appreciated…
    Cheers
    Shawn

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...tid=9585&stc=1 http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...tid=9586&stc=1
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...tid=9589&stc=1 http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...tid=9590&stc=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82_1_b.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	9585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a3_1_b.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	9586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75_1_b.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	9589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42_1_b.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	9590  

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    this is what I've done to mine (excuse the blue thingy to the left, it wouldn't stop following me)

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...achmentid=7677

Just used 2 'double-L' shaped brackets with some extra holes drilled in, and presto! can give you a hand if you want, doesn't take too long. Brackets were about $25 for the pair (I think), and held together with the mini flashers..

the other thing about those kits you show, I've seen some bikes around with those done, and depending on what kind of rider you are, it's no good when you do stoppies - the back tyre comes up and slams the plate in

Bike
    Bikeless
    If you look carefully at the bike below(above the wheel, under the exhaust), you will see his number plate folded up. There is a hinge connected to the plate and bike. So that is another way of mounting your number plate. Quite handy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ntnz/plate.jpg

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon
    Hi,
    Im thinking for getting fender eliminator for my 636 and just wondering if putting my number plate underneath as they show on the pic illegal in NZ?..also on the last pic, are those the back signal lights? So I probably have to get them as well..
    According to the regs i have read, lenses for turn signals,brake lights require a standard of some sort on them, but those are just LEDS with out a lens so unsure of the regs regarding that.

EDIT just looked at some docs I have here and reason for rejection
    1. not diffused by a lens or other approved means

Plates have to be read from behind and that can be so its sweet, half the vehicular fleet obscure their number plates more with their towbars so this could be pointed out to any plod that pulls you for that reason.

Bike
    none
    Saw a chick on a gixxer a few weeks back his plate was back under his seat. Not sure how legal it was though cause when you looked at it from behind you couldn't see the plate, the tire was in the way. Thought it was stupid cause she had a personalized plate. What's the point if no one can read it anyway?

Anyway Bujuices design works well. It looks nice and hides those ugly black bolt holes making it look alot cleaner than the ones you've posted.

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FEINT
    If you look carefully at the bike below(above the wheel, under the exhaust), you will see his number plate folded up. There is a hinge connected to the plate and bike. So that is another way of mounting your number plate. Quite handy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ntnz/plate.jpg
    until you do a stoppie or even go over a speed bump. Have you actually seen his plate?

Bike
    Thinking
    I looked at doing this on my 636 and becuase of the size of the NZ plate I couldnt see how it would work

Also in my mind you would rip up your tyre on the plate

I made a bracket on the regular place and it looks and works very well
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Visability of the plate is not a WoF issue,it's a Police issue - but I certainly wouldn't give it a WoF....and even if you did have a WoF it makes no difference to the cop - it's up to you to make your plate visable,Shit,why give a cop a reason to pull you over?
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Not sure, havent ridden many
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon
    Hi,
    Im thinking for getting fender eliminator for my 636 and just wondering if putting my number plate underneath as they show on the pic illegal in NZ?..also on the last pic, are those the back signal lights? So I probably have to get them as well..
    Any suggestion would be appreciated…
    Cheers
    Shawn
    Dude, this is what i have done, i have passed numerous cops and never once had a problem, the only issue raise for the WOF was a light, which im currently sorting out. You can see it from behind no problem! Issues getting a WOF are no mudguard or reflector still, i will jimmy something up for my next WOF check.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1875.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	9700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plate.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	9701  

Bike
    Not sure, havent ridden many
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX
    According to the regs i have read, lenses for turn signals,brake lights require a standard of some sort on them, but those are just LEDS with out a lens so unsure of the regs regarding that.

EDIT just looked at some docs I have here and reason for rejection
    1. not diffused by a lens or other approved means

Bud, i have been looking for the regs relatinging to lenses, as you are proberly aware there has been a change recently.

The Transport (Vehicles Standards) Regulations 1990 were revoked late last year.

Regulations relating to Stop lights are now available in the Land Transport Lighting Rule 2004 a direct link to this rule is below:
    http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/rul...ting-2004.html

I cant find anything in there that states "brake lights require a standard of some sort on them" .

All i can find is......

2.1(18) In assessing whether lighting equipment complies with the relevant safety requirements in this rule, a person in section 13 may take into account:

(a) evidence that the lighting equipment is within the vehicle manufacturer’s or the lighting equipment manufacturer’s operating limits;

I have asked for detials on what this "evidence" could be? i.e a visual inspection?

The way it is now the vehicle passes all relavent standards,like specific lens markings on it's original compliance,that's why the wording was removed - so now if you change the vehicles lighting from the original compliance then you have changed them...this is shifting the responsibility of the vehicles present condition onto the owner,be aware of what you are doing because it's your responsibility.The WoF inspector is only going to check standards if he suspects it's not as originaly complied.

The shift is going over to owner responsibility for the vehicles condition,the WoF is only a visual test on the day,it has no relavence the day after.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Bikeless
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    until you do a stoppie or even go over a speed bump. Have you actually seen his plate?
    His plate looks ok. I guess it is quite high so if the wheel would hit the plate, it would hit the exhaust. I have the same thing he has and it is a hinge that can flip the plate up / down. Kind of the same thing Funkyfly posted up except with a hinge.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FEINT
    His plate looks ok. I guess it is quite high so if the wheel would hit the plate, it would hit the exhaust. I have the same thing he has and it is a hinge that can flip the plate up / down. Kind of the same thing Funkyfly posted up except with a hinge.
    last time I saw it, it was buggered beyond recognition! maybe he got a new one since, or it might have been Nicks bike, but it looked well rooted. I remember looking at it and thinking that's what happens when the plate is so close to the wheel.. least I think thats what I thought and why I remembered it.. could be wrong..

I guess if you angle the plate one way or another, then it'll miss the tyre, so it'd be fine. It's just if it's square on with the tyre, that might cause you problems

Bike
    Kawasaki Z750
    Why not just front up with $150 and buy from Hamicad.co.uk, the fender eliminator they sell uses the standard plate light, turn signals and if you drill a hole (5.5mm) even the rear reflector. Sure it is a bit of dosh but it tidies up the back and it's legal, and it fits without problems.

spd:-)

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedee
    Why not just front up with $150 and buy from Hamicad.co.uk, the fender eliminator they sell uses the standard plate light, turn signals and if you drill a hole (5.5mm) even the rear reflector. Sure it is a bit of dosh but it tidies up the back and it's legal, and it fits without problems.

spd:-)
    Cause it's ugly?

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Thread Information