View Poll Results: What result do YOU want from the ACC protests?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scrap acc levvies and have a fuel tax

53 39.55%
  • An increase like as proposed just a LOT smaller

0 0%
  • No change to the system but a small increase to all bikes

4 2.99%
  • No increase as we are currently being targeted unfairly

77 57.46%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What result do you want?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    I must say my vote goes to scrapping the ACC levvies altogether and having a fuel tax. I feel that would be a lot fairer.Just my opinion mind you
    Hugely inflationary move. With the current goal of making ACC fully funded by 2012 you're looking at a lot more than a few cents a litre, more like a dollar a litre and it won't come off once the goal is reached.

Bread will go up, milk will go up, the cost of a school trip (the few left that they're allowed to go on) will go up, every item in NZ will go up in price. Everything is moved by road.

If I use the bike for transport every day and have one weekend ride a fortnight (extravagant and unlikely, but we can dream) I use around 50 litres a fortnight. At anywhere between 50c and $1 a litre increase is an extra $25-$50 per fortnight on top of the $30-$40 I spend now.

I don't think a fuel levy will be fair or equitable and NZ's economy is really quite literally as bad as it can be without falling off the OECD charts. We're facing a huge bill for carbon tax thanks to the whining of some under-educated, over-vocal upper middle class bicycle riding loonies and our balance of payments shoul dmake every Kiwi involuntarily stiffen with fright and fall over every time you think about it. Placing fuel out of the reach of the average Kiwi will simply hasten the slide into third world status.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    one that goes
    WTF we already have a fuel tax(ACC), plus pay per Hundred dollars earnt(ACC), plus in our registration(ACC) the way you are all trying to come up with ideas for these pricks to keep taking money off us bewilders me, and DB is right you come up with the plan and they do it to keep you all happy.Then you will all start moaning again.

FM may as well be like the JW's who pay a big percentage of their earnings into the church, we may as well give ours straight to ACC..

Fucken Govt's will cheat you out of your last penny (cent) to spend it on themselves...Why offer it to them ????

Bike
    2014 DL1000 V-Strom L4, KTM 400 EXC
    Blog Entries

I think applying

an additional (in cents) would also help to reduce the overall costs. In particular it would capture anyone that uses a weed eater, lawn mower, jet ski, jet boat, petrol powered push bike etc..IMHO
    Last edited by rustic101; 18th November 2009 at 19:22. Reason: sp

Bike
    Orangy/Redy/Blacky Blingy thingy
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    I must say my vote goes to scrapping the ACC levvies altogether and having a fuel tax. I feel that would be a lot fairer.Just my opinion mind you
    Good Point.....
    KiwiBiker is usually a wealth of information when it comes to stats..... who knows what our daily consumption of fuel is i.e. Petrol, Diesel and LPG.
    But by coming up with alternative ways of taxing us..... isn't that an acknowledgment that ACC is actually in the hole. I do agree that a tax on fuel is a much fairer way... but only as far as motoring is concerned. How are we going to tax the other big beneficiaries of ACC...like Equestrian, MotoX, Trail Biking, All forms of MotorSport, Snowboarding, Alpine Skiing, Hunting. Tramping, Cycling. Rugby, Soccer, Basketball, Hockey and not forgetting those poor unfortunate tourists/seasonal workers who can come over here without any travel insurance ( they dont need one down here cause we got ACC) break a leg skiing etc and get world class medical treatment without contributing a cent .... these are just some of the big leaks in ACC. We've all heard stories of big ACC rip offs..... not so bloody funny when we're paying for it
    just my 2c

I've learned... that to ignore the facts does not change the facts

Do you seriously expect me to believe that these politicians would implement policy based on nothing more than bullshit......

Bike
    1998 ducati 750ss
    Blog Entries
    I would be happy for a fuel increase, as then what ever you do you will be paying you levies in the fuel, examples being ...fishing, mowing the lawns, driving to a rugby game, driving to the beach,ski fields etc etc this way it is a user pays system and not one that singles out individual groups of people...hey i dont play rugby or ski or ride a push bike so why should my levies cover the people who chose to do those interests, just like why should their levies cover me just cause i want to ride my bike....user pays.....

Bike
    GSA & WR
    If the only revenue gathering point was fuel you would be looking at a massive price hike. dont forget ACC levys are applied to many and varied buisnesses, organisations and the like not just registred vehicles.

The ACC system is a good one, it aint broke so why try fixing it?
    I voted no increase we are already targeted

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    the problem (i see) with a fuel tax, is bikes use less fuel, so it would still create a division in levies generated from different road user groups, the should be only one acc levy amount, a road user charge, charged to every licensed person. Everyone pays an equal amount, regardless of risk, number of vehicles, and (most importantly) fault.
    Bogan-again from my personal POV--so what??
    By having a FUEL tax you in one swoop sort out a bunch of issues
    1) It fits with the gubbinment"plan " to reduce emmissions or at least apears to-basicly those using gas guzzlers get hit hardest.
    2) it in one swoop gathers in a bunch of people who don't currently pay ACC yep rep the benifits.
    3)it actually IS user pays.If you dont ride your bike/drive your car/drive your boat you wont use fuel so wont pay tax.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp27 View Post
    ..... who knows what our daily consumption of fuel is i.e. Petrol, Diesel and LPG.
    I don't know what it is today, as the MOE don't publish the figures anymore.

But it was 3000 million litres of petrol per year in 2000.

11.5c litre required to meet vehicle account requirements.

Unfortunately GOVT cant tap this.. it needs to tax petrol later so we can send the money to Russia as penance for growing food.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    hmm 70 odd responses
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    We've fine tuned what we want since you started this thread.
    Now we want complete parity with the rest of the motoring fleet. We want ACC to return to it's founding principles. We want this govt to back the fuck away from any plans to privatise. And we want the public of NZ to know that we are fighting on their behalf, because otherwise They Are Next.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    If, to achieve this, levies must increase, then they must be increased across the board, so that we all pay equally.
    Bullshit.
    ACC just covers health. My private health insurance both here and the one I had in Aussie were well under the $$$$'s proposed by ACC for me next year.

Fact of the matter is that people are ripping off ACC's relaxed system, so $$$$$'s are going to them so they can watch TV all day rather than work.

Even a health insurance company with fat cats at the top will not rip us off as badly as ACC is.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    No ACC also provides income replacement (ie ERC). Health insurance doesn't ( or at most very limited) . Though of course health insurance will cover you for sickness as well as injury.

Reality is they are two totally different things
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Comet GT250 aka - "The Rocket"
    Out of curiosity, anyone know if any of our spokespersons pointed out to 'the man' that the majority of Bikers also own and pay rego on cars? Their big argument is that car owners are subsidising us...well...we are also the car owners. Effectively we pay more ACC levies already anyway than the other groups don't we?

So many threads it may have been discussed already.
    Just cos you can....don't mean you should!!

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Yep, that points been extensively made. Actually sparked a fairly lengthy discussion with Mr Joyce at the Wellington meeting .
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Comet GT250 aka - "The Rocket"
    Ok, good one. Thought it may have been.....but just in case it hadn't.
    Just cos you can....don't mean you should!!

Thread Information