Thread: Vulcanising glue for boot repair?

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada

Vulcanising glue for boot repair?

So the top of my Cheap-rider boots are cracked and letting water in.

I had me a bright idea. Vulcanize a piece of bicycle inner tube over the top of the crack(s). Problem is the boot is made of plastic / vinyl.

Can anyone recommend a vulcanizing glue that would work? Tried old Ados contact glue and the bastard peeled off. I need some "shit to a blanket" type glue. Good looks not necessary. I'm a function over form sorta guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    Aprilia Falco, K100 Project
    Blog Entries
    Try some super glue in the cracks. Super Glue will melt/weld pvc.
    Or if you wipe the vinyl/plastic with a solvent such as Ados solvent "N" then try gluing it with your ados contact that may help.
    If that fails get yourself some urethane 2 part epoxy.
    May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face.

Bike
    rf900
    where i work we have this industrial hot glue gun..........will glue or fill anything.

or

a long time ago I had some boot problems........so with some leftover fibreglass resin and woven cloth i fixed it. very waterproof. but no flex. the repair held while the rest of the boot fell apart around it.

Bike
    Thanks guys. I think I'll try the 2 part epoxy. I need some flexibility as upper sole is where the cracks are (due to the boot flexing), so the resin idea is good but may make for a stiff boot.
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    I went with Bostik 2 part epoxy from Dr. Bunnings. Cheap stuff at $5 for 34ml.

I did one boot yesterday and the stuff seems to be holding nicely. I've just completed the other for that "street fighter" (or should that be boot fighter?) look. Rough as guts but as long as they are dry, then hey!

Thread Information