Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Street Triple review

Bike
    2002 SV650S
    I want one!!! great review,hoping to get a test ride on one myself soon
    Kiwi Biker - Keeping you up with the latest gossip...no matter where you are
    signaturepics/sigpic12191_4.gif

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Took your time, Jim!

Here's my review from 2007 of the Street Triple.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59911

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville & Street Triple
    Enough to turn a 58yr old respectable born again,with a 360' smile on his dial into a 16yr old hoon. Pulled a wheelie out of the driveway the other day and didn't give a f... what the neighbors thought

Haven't got it set up for touring yet so will probley take the Bonnie down to the SI KB rally next month

Bike
    Yahmama
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth51 View Post
    Enough to turn a 58yr old respectable born again,with a 360' smile on his dial into a 16yr old hoon. Pulled a wheelie out of the driveway the other day and didn't give a f... what the neighbors thought
    Woo hoo..........

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Good idea stating where you've come from bike wise. The 675 is a great bigger bike and I suspect you'll find it a bit of a keeper!

Re torque - jump on one of the wizz bang 600 sport bikes - you'll suddenly realise the 675 is a grunter.
    then you jump on a K1-4 GSXR1000 and think, that 675 is gutless

Bike
    FXR150, ZXR400, Hyosung GT650 Comet
    Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    then you jump on a K1-4 GSXR1000 and think, that 675 is gutless
    Yes you are probably right but you just can't beat that sound of a triple through an Arrow 3 into 1 exhaust, just like a GP bike. And the torque, well...
    I love my Bucket.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeynz View Post
    Yes you are probably right but you just can't beat that sound of a triple through an Arrow 3 into 1 exhaust, just like a GP bike. And the torque, well...
    He isn't actually. He's a pretentious ape with a prediliction for trolling hapless victims. Do NOT respond.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Custom Bonnie
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeynz View Post
    right, that does it, I definitely fuckin want one
    [CENTER]Whatchu talkin bout Willis?

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_weston View Post
    OK, with all the new threads being about ACC protests and the like (as well they should be) I thought I might try and post my first bike review to show why I came to KiwiBiker in the first place......................
    IMO - You need to have ridden a few more bikes to qualify yourself to write a good review. But I liked it anyway.

Your description of the exhaust sound was pretty much spot on. My Tiger only starts to really growl from 6-10k revs. Listen to what the other guys say about the Arrow can. It will transform your bike for you and really does enhance the appearance. I didn't want to pay the Arrow price, so I got the 'We've gone bust - grab a bargain' Micron Beta. There are lots of them about.

Glad you like your new ride. Excellent upgrade choice. Hope you are taking it easy out there.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    He isn't actually. He's a pretentious ape with a prediliction for trolling hapless victims. Do NOT respond.
    poor you....

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Good idea stating where you've come from bike wise. The 675 is a great bigger bike and I suspect you'll find it a bit of a keeper!

Re torque - jump on one of the wizz bang 600 sport bikes - you'll suddenly realise the 675 is a grunter.
    Torque is much the same. It's down to just how good you are at snapping through the gears on an IL4 to keep it in the sweet spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by davebullet View Post
    Torque is much the same. It's down to just how good you are at snapping through the gears on an IL4 to keep it in the sweet spot.
    Peak torque is much the same for a Gixxer 600, an SV650 and a Street Triple but it's not just a case of snapping through the gears unless you're on the track. On public roads, it's hard to keep it in the powerband all the time with other road users clogging the roads (or your brain at half mast) so what you need is ability to respond from low revs.

Depending on the year of manufacture, a Gixxer 600 is producing peak torque (~46ft-lbs) at ~10500 rpm but is only producing ~25ft-lbs at 3000 rpm. An SV650 produces slightly more peak torque at 9000 rpm but produces 35 ft-lbs at 3000rpm. The Triple has slightly less peak torque at 9800 rpm BUT delivers 40ft-lbs at 3000 rpm and it's almost flat all the way up the range. Far better for those real life snap decisions.

Physics 101 really

Bike
    It's a Ninja,that's why you can't see it
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Peak torque is much the same for a Gixxer 600, an SV650 and a Street Triple but it's not just a case of snapping through the gears unless you're on the track. On public roads, it's hard to keep it in the powerband all the time with other road users clogging the roads (or your brain at half mast) so what you need is ability to respond from low revs.

Depending on the year of manufacture, a Gixxer 600 is producing peak torque (~46ft-lbs) at ~10500 rpm but is only producing ~25ft-lbs at 3000 rpm. An SV650 produces slightly more peak torque at 9000 rpm but produces 35 ft-lbs at 3000rpm. The Triple has slightly less peak torque at 9800 rpm BUT delivers 40ft-lbs at 3000 rpm and it's almost flat all the way up the range. Far better for those real life snap decisions.

Physics 101 really

So that flat torque line is why it is always so instantly responsive then.

Must admit I like just cruising along at around 4k rpms and then occasionaly just opening up the throttle slightly. Hardly any lag from the power and it always puts a big smile on my face!

Decided what my first mod will be - looking to get a d.i.d chain and renthal hard adonised sprockets (same size as originals) put on. The OEM chain is a wee bit crap, nothing up with the sprockets but they are a bit bland looking compared to the rest of the bike.

Should cost around the $400 mark but will remove some weight and may even deliver more horses (due to the improved chain) to the back wheel. Done lots of reading on the other websites - can't believe bikes still come with o ring chains now that 've read up about x rings.

Will post pictures when I finally get it done.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_weston View Post
    So that flat torque line is why it is always so instantly responsive then.

....... may even deliver more horses (due to the improved chain) to the back wheel. Done lots of reading on the other websites - can't believe bikes still come with o ring chains now that I've read up about x rings.
    Yep, torque delivery is everything. That's why bikes like the GSX-1400 are such potent road weapons.

The race boys may be able to confirm that the X-Ring has lower internal friction than an O ring (have you seen any sources of hard data?) - I wouldn't have a clue. However, I'd very much doubt that it has any measurable effect on the road.

I'd be better off dropping my weight from 82 kg to (say) 75 kg. Seeing as I like my food though, the biggest bang for my buck would be to fit high quality suspension to go faster. Having done it on the Blackbird and seeing the results, it's the first thing I'd go for on any other bike other than a few basics.

Bike
    Yahmama
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Yep, torque delivery is everything. That's why bikes like the GSX-1400 are such potent road weapons.

The race boys may be able to confirm that the X-Ring has lower internal friction than an O ring (have you seen any sources of hard data?) - I wouldn't have a clue. However, I'd very much doubt that it has any measurable effect on the road.

I'd be better off dropping my weight from 82 kg to (say) 75 kg. Seeing as I like my food though, the biggest bang for my buck would be to fit high quality suspension to go faster. Having done it on the Blackbird and seeing the results, it's the first thing I'd go for on any other bike other than a few basics.
    mmmmmmmmmm........Ohlins

Thread Information