Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Street Triple review

Bike
    It's a Ninja,that's why you can't see it

Street Triple review

OK, with all the new threads being about ACC protests and the like (as well they should be) I thought I might try and post my first bike review to show why I came to KiwiBiker in the first place.

Reviewers previous bike:
    Firstly, I think it is very important for any reviewer of a bike to say what they have come from before - or ride day to day- (for example if I try a Z750 after a Hayabusa, rather than a GN, then I would have a totally different perspective on things). In my case I upgraded to a 675 Street Triple from a Honda Hornet 250.

I will try and do this review in the same way as the bike mags do:-

Engine:
    All I can say about the engine is that is has a double face to it. Under 6 thousand revs it is as docile and responsive as the hornet (which is a big compliment) but gets instantly more raucous once the twist of the wrist exceeds about an inch. This is where the engine comes into itself. Manageable but powerful. Don't underestimate the power delivery of the triple - it can still get you into trouble quite easily - but the linear power delivery means that as much as you twist your wrist that equivalent power will be delivered. Therefore it is a very manageable bike as long as you can manage yourself...
    Being a triple it seems to supply the necessary power straight from about 3k of revs (like a twin does) all the way up the rev range, but does not trail off at the upper end (like a mid range inline four does). I have ridden both twins and mid range inline fours and can tell you that a triple picks up the best of both.

Handling:
    It's about as light as you can possibly get from a 600cc+ bike. Wet weight is stated as 167kg which is pretty damn light as the 250 hornet is 160kgs. This means that is has the maneuverability of a 250 through the twisties with the power of a 600+ in acceleration. The best combination of the two - I sincerely think so.
    However, it is not an open highway machine, if you want low revs at top speed then look elsewhere. It does feel rather busy for a 600+ bike at highway speeds.
    I have heard criticisms about not enough torque etc. I personally think this is from riders of big v twins who are not fully appreciating the exceptional handling of this bike, versus its bigger torquier and comparatively heavier brother - the street triple would seem to fail in the long distance touring scene, but its superior handling more than makes up for it. Who wants a naked tourer after all?

Finish: Top notch. A few concerns have been given around triumph finish. The best way to tell about the quality of finish is to wash a bike (that way you get up close and personal), if you are dubious at all about the Triumph finish then offer to wash a couple of dealers' bikes (no loss to you or them but it may make them look at you a bit funny afterwards). No, I didn't do this but see it as a win/win for prospective bike owners/ dealers.

Sound:
    Interestingly enough when I showed it to my mates their first comment was " It sounds like something is up with the engine - it's making a whirry clockwork noise".
    This is the street under 6k of revs with a clockworky noise, take it above 6k and you start to hear that awesome sound which is a mix between a v twin rumble and the inline four busyness. In the first two weeks of owning the street I couldn't work out why people weren't stopping and staring at the sound. The reason - the best sound is reserved for the rider, being on top of the triple gives you all the aural pleasure you can need from a bike without going deaf. The first time you use engine braking on this bike - you will know.

Brakes vs Street Triple R: Can;t say for myself as I have't ridden the R version. All I have read and can say as a rider is that the brakes stop you as much as you want without losing traction. I have read criticism of the R saying that it's brakes are too good for the weight of the bike.

Suspension: Fine by me but who am I to say - not an expert in this field. But what I require is your ordinary commuting and a bit of weekend warrior rider needs from the bike. In that sense the suspension is not lacking at all. It can handle the bumps and isn't nervous. All depends on the size of the rider in my mind. The bike was made with an average rider size in mind, If you are severely heavier or lighter than the average rider then you may want an adjustable suspension, which the Street Triple R supplies.

Overall: An accomplished bike for sure. People seem to think there is some sort of British press collusion going on about how good this bike is. They are the kind of people who say "don't believe the hype".
    All I can say is "do believe the hype" - the street triple is the definitive "jack of all trades and master of MOST". It is the street racer that anyone can ride, the hooligan bike that anyone can wheelie, it will make you look like Beelzebub to other roads users but you know it is a tame workhorse which can do anything any other bike can do, and then more!

Bike
    rf900
    nice write up.......cheers.
    There is a new green one in my local dealer that looks very tempting.

This means that is has the maneuverability of a 250 through the twisties with the power of a 600+ in acceleration. The best combination of the two - I sincerely think so.
    What ?
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    What ?
    I'm not going to explain my use of terminology. My review, my bike - like it or lump it but please don't pick it to bits to make yourself feel better.

Edit: That came over a bit more warlike than it was meant to. I don't claim to be a motorcycle journalist - rather just an owner putting up his opinion on his own bike. Please respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by wild_weston View Post
    I'm not going to explain my use of terminology. My review, my bike - like it or lump it but please don't pick it to bits to make yourself feel better.

Edit: That came over a bit more warlike than it was meant to. I don't claim to be a motorcycle journalist - rather just an owner putting up his opinion on his own bike. Please respect that.
    ok well my bike has the POWER of a 1000cc, with the weight of a 250cc and the handling of a 600cc. It mainly harness the power from the elephant, the weight of a lepord, and the handling from dangerous bastard.

Or i could just be making up ambiguous bullshit.
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    Yahmama
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    ok well my bike has the POWER of a 1000cc, with the weight of a 250cc and the handling of a 600cc. It mainly harness the power from the elephant, the weight of a lepord, and the handling from dangerous bastard.
    I'm liking the sound of that. What happens when DangerousBastard actually rides the Lepophant?

Bike
    Deleted post

Bike
    Sold
    Thanks for fucking up my first bike review thread.
    Just ignore the waste of space, that's what your ignore button is for

Excellent review and your comment about what bike you've come from (and indeed where you ride) are really valid points. I must say that I'm really impressed with it, even coming from something with 50 more horses!

As running-in is progressing well, I stuck my radar detector on it yesterday and today; my Italian screen arrived which I bought through eBay. Makes it look like something out of Predator! Just got to make time to get out and try it now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00926.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	632.2 KB 
ID:	151804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00921.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	589.1 KB 
ID:	151805   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00923.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	797.1 KB 
ID:	151807  

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    Nice write up. I had a Speed Triple but next Trumpy could be the Street.

Well first impressions obviously don't last. Thanks for fucking up my first bike review thread.
    Turd.
    This is KB - expect this type of response and you won't be offended as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Just ignore the waste of space, that's what your ignore button is for

Excellent review and your comment about what bike you've come from (and indeed where you ride) are really valid points. I must say that I'm really impressed with it, even coming from something with 50 more horses!

As running-in is progressing well, I stuck my radar detector on it yesterday and today; my Italian screen arrived which I bought through eBay. Makes it look like something out of Predator! Just got to make time to get out and try it now
    That screen looks great.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    I get it now.
    What is "it"?
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I dunno, you'll have to read the article and find out.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    I dunno, you'll have to read the article and find out.
    I do. There definitely is a "hoon switch" on the bike. It doesn't so much whisper, " Go on, you know you want to" or "Who you lookin' at?" as shouts it! Good job there isn't much traffic or Plod on my playground. I'd be in trouble if I lived in one of the cities

Nice blog Jim

Sorry, your review was AWESOME with 3 !!!, Totally rad. Loved it.

(it actually wasn't bad, i was just laughing at that one sentence as it makes no sence at all.)

I aint going to say it was brilliant, because it wasn't. If you can't handle it QQ some moar.

Go and kick down some sandcastles as that is effectively what you do online all the time.
    have you ever done that before tho? Its mega fun.

Thread Information