Thread: How to fit R1/R6 Monoblock Calipers to a GSXR

How to fit R1/R6 Monoblock Calipers to a GSXR

This is a small guide to how to fit R1/R6 Monoblock calipers to a k4/k5 600/750 with 300mm discs

This calipers are also know as 'Sumitomo four-piston monobloc calipers'

Most of the Japanese motorcycles all use the same standard fitment for there brake 4 pot radial mounted brake calipers (108 mm)

So that means most Japanese 4pot calipers radial calipers will fit on the GSXR,(honda, kawasaki, suzuki, yamaha) the determine factor is the size of the discs, and what spacers are needed.

Why do you upgrade, well a lot of the new model brakes are far better, for example the R6/R1 units are a monoblock unit, which give better feel and less prone to brake fade etc. I have not tested this at the track yet, but will do in the next couple of weeks. But i have done abotu 1500kms on them now. Previously i use to have the dial on the lever at 1 (i run custom made low expension rubber hoses, and i change the fluid once a year, with ebc (dot 4) fluid, After fitting these calipers i have had to move the dial down to 2-3. And i am using second hand pads of a r6 race bike, that i got given.

Since the 04/05 600/750 use the 300mm discs, makes life a little bit more difficult. Than just bolt on and go. But with 310mm-320mm discs makes life a lot easier, since you can bolt them up with just using spacers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Step 1) Remove the silver spacer attached at bottom of mounting points (these are pressed in, way I removed them is got a vice grip on them, to squeeze them out of shape and then they twisted out)

Step 2) You will see in attached picture they do not fit correctly compared to stock calipers. The brake pad, is 5ish mm above the top of the discs, so this means not all pad is on the disc for maxium stopping power.

Step 3) You need to remove 5mm off the bottom of the caliper mounts to get them to fit correctly), Pad now sits flush with top of discs.

Step 4) bolt up and bleed your system and your away laughing. I used the lines i had previously used on the stock calipers

ps (i take no responsibility of you fucking things up, brakes are a one of most important things on your bike, and if you do not have much knowledge how they work do not attempt this with out help. Another member has done this mod with some input from me.)

pss sorry for bad pictures of the gap, but i could not get a good picture inside of the calipers to show the differences, i tried a couple of different cameras but with out much luck.

Big thanks for Shaun, for the selling me the calipers at a good price. and svs for giving me a set of use pads for nothing, i will contact you shortly mate, to buy another new set from you.

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Does a change of calipers require certification Neal?
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Nice work.As for certification i had no problems when i changed to Busa 6 pots on my old TL.Told them what i had done pre WOF check and passed with no problems.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post
    Does a change of calipers require certification Neal?
    no idea and don't care, most people doing a wof would not notice the difference

I have a number of other things that would fail on a wof also, no number plate light, rear singals no dot/e stamp, singals flash to fast, to name just a few.

Thread Information