Thread: Anyone been through the Whanganui River road?

Bike
    he's back !!!

Anyone been through the Whanganui River road?

Looking at doing a short tour of North Island soon & to spruce things up on the way home I thought I would check out a section of road that I need some help with, Instead of heading up the Paraparas/SH4 I like the looks of the Whanganui River Road which leads you onto Jerusalem & Raetihi what I need to know is can I take my Blackbird through there? How long a gravel section is it km's wise?... I have gone through the forgotten highway many times so are both gravel sections the same or similar ? ie: hard packed gravel road compared to loose gravel your help is much appreciated
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    2007 GSX1000R
    Nope, not been there

Bike
    Tbird
    Its almost 100% gravel i wouldn't try it on a road bike in winter.Took my nissan 4x4 thru there no so long ago and almost slid off a cliff due to sloppy wet clay. Bloody great place tho

Bike
    Blog Entries
    It's not that different to the Forgotten Highway. Gets lots of use as it's direct to Ratehi and north for anyone up the valley. IMHO if you're on a road bike it's not worth the ride up only 30k of seal to get there. Take the Paraparas, or go on to Hawera, Stratford, Waitara, Awakino, turn left after the bridge and take the coast road up to Kawhia (Manganui Rd). Flew over there a few weeks ago and the whole road looks sealed and in good nick.

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Have only been through once about 10 years ago. My RF900 handled it no worries. Not sure on road condition nowadays.

Must take another ride up there one day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki RF900RV.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	152552  

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Take the Paraparas, or go on to Hawera, Stratford, Waitara, Awakino, turn left after the bridge and take the coast road up to Kawhia (Manganui Rd). Flew over there a few weeks ago and the whole road looks sealed and in good nick.
    I would have already done the Naki by then, its for when I leave wgtn heading home...I did the Marokopa to Awakino road just last month great section that particularly if you come from the Te Anga end the gravel is very ridable & is only 13km long, I think I will give it a go weather permitting & will take pics & post up here on my return

Bike
    Haven't been through recently (or ever on a bike) but from memory it's quite a bit rougher than anywhere on the Forgotten Highway.

Bike
    he's back !!!
    just spoke to a mate of mine who is a stock truck driver, he says he went through there the other day from the Whanganui end & mentioned that it was tarsealed all the way from the SH4 turnoff to Jerusalem so lets

Bike
    2008 Honda ST 1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
    just spoke to a mate of mine who is a stock truck driver, he says he went through there the other day from the Whanganui end & mentioned that it was tarsealed all the way from the SH4 turnoff to Jerusalem so lets
    Make sure you report to us on the condition of the road afterwards
    cheers

4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

There is a bit of loose stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
    Looking at doing a short tour of North Island soon & to spruce things up on the way home I thought I would check out a section of road that I need some help with, Instead of heading up the Paraparas/SH4 I like the looks of the Whanganui River Road which leads you onto Jerusalem & Raetihi what I need to know is can I take my Blackbird through there? How long a gravel section is it km's wise?... I have gone through the forgotten highway many times so are both gravel sections the same or similar ? ie: hard packed gravel road compared to loose gravel your help is much appreciated
    They are repairing slips and things along the river road.
    The Raetehi part of the road turns to gravel and they are quite large hunks of metal, I would just advise to go slow, well, you have to anyway, it is rough. Nice Cafe in Raetehi, awesome pies!
    Certainly do-able, just take care. Clean the bike after is all....
    Awesome ride, well worth it.
    It is almost 80-85% sealed if not more, would be if the slips didn't keep happening.
    Enjoy!

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

No, not rougher...

Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    Haven't been through recently (or ever on a bike) but from memory it's quite a bit rougher than anywhere on the Forgotten Highway.
    Just has a few more slips and is dependent on the weather, the council repairing the slips etc...
    There is a bit more metal at the Raetehi end is all, the rest is sweet if the weather is good. Don't go there after a heavy rain fall.
    Well worth it, magic scenery, wicked switch back towards the Taumarunui end and a great photo op too!

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Trip went well.. only 2 days where I got caught in pouring rain, did 2980km over 6 days.... I found the turn off to Pipiriki but the weather at the time was shit so checked out a few kms of it very narrow & slippery will save this one for over xmas

Bike
    1993 Yamaha SRV
    Quote Originally Posted by spookytooth View Post
    Its almost 100% gravel i wouldn't try it on a road bike in winter.Took my nissan 4x4 thru there no so long ago and almost slid off a cliff due to sloppy wet clay. Bloody great place tho
    My maths is crap, but the road is about 100k long, and there is 14 km of gravel, so I think it's actually 14% gravel? It's hard to know if it's been recently graded, so if people ask me I usually give one of the river operators a ring. The Sisters at Jerusalem would probably be the least likely to lie.

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Gidday all, Well I finally managed to do this road through to Pipiriki & Raetihi awesome day, great road , but YES there is gravel & @ 20km's worth & rather meaty ..... starts south of Jeresulem stops around Pipiriki briefly then @ another 10kms worth leading to Raetihi, so in total @ 90km from turnoff to Raetihi took @ 2.5 - 3 hrs ( very deep gravel bike was running hot so made 2 stops to bring it down ) awesome views but doubt I would do it again on a road bike, but at least I've been there now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whanganui_river_&#108.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	199984  
    Last edited by insomnia01; 10th March 2010 at 13:20. Reason: added pic

Bike
    2008 Honda Transalp 700
    I Did it last year on a Transalp and really enjoyed it but would probably give it a miss on a road bike.

Thread Information