Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 Tonne cordura gear wet weather review

Bike
    1987 GPX 250

1 Tonne cordura gear wet weather review

Been using my 1 Tonne gear for about 6 months now so it must be time for a review. Not much point in a dry weather review and since i've just come home from 2 hours riding in the rain i have a good base to review the wet weather side of it.

First up is the Red Codura Touring Jacket and i love it! It is however very bulky and makes me look a million times bigger than i actually am. Nothing wrong with that though. So after 2 hours in the rain today the jacket is absolutely soaked. All i had on underneath was a t-shirt and the thermal liner zipped into the jacket. Everything inside the jacket is bone dry. Couldn't ask for much better than that could yah? This includes under the thermal liner. No leaks anywhere. The only place water is likely to get in is up around the neck but i have had no problems with this.

Next up we have the Cordura Sport Pants. Again these are bulky. Wearing these with the jacket i look like a marshmellow man. The pants didn't get as wet as the jacket so everything is again bone dry on the inside except about 5 cm at the bottom which seems to be soaked. This is most likely to be because i was only wearing skate shoes not motorcycle boots.

Finally we have the Cordura Waterproof Winter Motorcycle Gloves. The gloves, like the jacket, are absolutely drenched. I could probably squeeze the water out. Inside isn't quite as dry as the jacket. There is definitely moisture at the fingertips however my hands came out dry so i was happy. These are definitely winter gloves as well. I used them in the heat the other day and when i pulled my hand out the liner on the inside came out which is a major pain in the ass to get back in.

Overall i am extremely pleased with the way 1 Tonnes cordura handles the wet conditions. Everything is well priced as well

All i need now are the boots to complete the package.

Bike
    None any more
    Amazing. Because cordura isn't waterproof.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Far be it from me to question the great Hitcher, but take a read of this article:
    http://www.ehow.com/about_4675019_is...aterproof.html

It discusses what Cordura is, and goes on to say Nylon66 is extremely durable and waterproof.

Ultimately I think it depends on the final blend and how it is manufactured as to how waterproof the garment is.

Bike
    None any more
    "Cordura" is a term loosely used to describe motorcycle garments made from fabric woven from threads of synthetic polymer. It is a term used liberally as a generic and most is, in all likelihood, not Cordura(TM).

That said, fabric woven from synthetic polymer and marketed as motorcycle apparel isn't waterproof. Any reading of the many threads on this site alone devoted to this topic will reveal that in no time flat.

There is debate as to the water impermeability effectiveness of various liners, such as Hipora(TM), GoreTex(TM) and other "me too" products, some of which last longer than others.

Arguably the most effective water tightness for motorcyclists can be procured from Te Wharewhero or rural supplies stores. This is impermeable plastic with welded seams and usually comes in sporty yellow or cowshed green. Worn in combination with other motorcycle garments, it can provide outstanding value for money.

The only truly waterproof gloves are made by Rain-Off.

Motorcycle garments procured for a couple of hundred dollars an item will, at best, keep the wind out and armour securely in place. Nothing more.

Cheap is as cheap does.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Whatever it is it keeps the rain off! I don't care if its voodoo magic so long as im dry

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Motorcycle garments procured for a couple of hundred dollars an item will, at best, keep the wind out and armour securely in place. Nothing more.
    Curiously, the man states how much he paid for it, and what the construction is, and that he TESTED IT waterproof, yet your unqualified opinion holds more water? (sorry, unintentional!)

I have a Mohsin textile jacket, and like the OP's 1Tonne, it is super thick, warm, and waterproof. I have never had a wet ANYTHING while wearing this jacket, under any conditions. My previous jacket was a DriRider, and the Mohsin (also around $135) is a far warmer and drier jacket by a wide margin. With the addition of the heated liner, I can ride anywhere in any conditions without care or regard for getting cold or wet.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Gixxer
    Did you have your gloves inside your jacket or on the outside?
    If they were on the outside then think where the water from your sleeves go when you brake...
    Straight down into the big hole in your gloves.
    Just a tip for next time if you didnt already know.
    Motorcycing is not a hobby, It is a way of life!

Missed forever! NEVER FORGOTTEN!!
    LIVE ON MY FRIENDS!

Friends dont let friends ride Hyosungs

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    Curiously, the man states how much he paid for it, and what the construction is, and that he TESTED IT waterproof, yet your unqualified opinion holds more water?
    Fair call. A two-hour ride in the rain is more than many will do in their gear.

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    Fair call. A two-hour ride in the rain is more than many will do in their gear.
    My "Cordura" gear is good for about that, there after I will get wet through unless I put a rain suit type arrangement on as well. I admit I'm going to get wet and do what I can to keep warm.

I have concluded that "Waterproof" when refering to Motorcycle gear actually means Water Resistant for the first few hours.
    Rain off gloves are the exception to that. I have even had rain leaking in through the air vents on my helmet and trickling down my face.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Bills View Post
    Did you have your gloves inside your jacket or on the outside?
    If they were on the outside then think where the water from your sleeves go when you brake...
    Straight down into the big hole in your gloves.
    Just a tip for next time if you didnt already know.
    Gloves are tightened down around the outside of the jacket. Otherwise i get a nice cool breeze up my arm. Hands come out dry so no water came in this way.

Bike
    Gixxer
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3ntwar View Post
    Gloves are tightened down around the outside of the jacket. Otherwise i get a nice cool breeze up my arm. Hands come out dry so no water came in this way.

Sounds like all your gear is too big for you.
    Trust me. Putting your gloves on the inside is the ONLY way to keep your hands dry.

LIVE ON MY FRIENDS!

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    These are definitely winter gloves as well. I used them in the heat the other day and when i pulled my hand out the liner on the inside came out which is a major pain in the ass to get back in.
    People might look at you funny but if you toss a small container of talcum powder in your kit and dust your hands with it before putting your gloves on it prevents the liner coming out when you take your hand out of the glove, and keeps the gloves from smelling too bad too.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Trust me. Putting your gloves on the inside is the ONLY way to keep your hands dry.
    Shit i must have been in the twilight zone today. Cordura gear keeping me dry and gloves tightened on top of my jacket keeping my hands dry. Maybe i need to lay off these hardcore drugs i take with every meal.

Glad everyone here knows best

Bike
    Gixxer
    Shit i must have been in the twilight zone today. Cordura gear keeping me dry and gloves tightened on top of my jacket keeping my hands dry. Maybe i need to lay off these hardcore drugs i take with every meal.

Glad everyone here knows best

Sometimes there are people who give actual advise. Take it.. Use it..Whatever. All I know is my gear hasnt leaked for over 3 years.
    Saying that, I have spent a shite load more than you have, so would hope so.
    Enjoy your gear while it lasts.

LIVE ON MY FRIENDS!

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    So if your blasting along, would that tend to drive the rain up the "gap" between the glove and your jacket, giving you nice wet arms?

I wear my gloves on the outside of the jacket sleeves for this reasons. The rain then blasts up and over the outside of the arm.

Seems to work for me.

Thread Information