Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Shinko tyres?

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Decided to give the Shinko Verge 016 2X (dual compound) a try, this has a very stiff carcase, (which when I was riding the old FJ1200, I found was preferable to the modern 'elastic' sports/sport tour tyre carcases on a big heavy bike of that type). the Shinko is MUCH stiffer than the 023, this should reduce tyre distortion. I'm aware they need a lot more warming up than other tyres, but then I think thats comparative to the style of riding, an MT is certainly not a highly flickable, scrape your knee, footpeg, etc etc bike.. more akin to an FJR/ST1300/BMW LT for handling characteristics.

Generally, my riding style is 'fast touring' which suits the bike design, but dont have much chicken strip left on the BT023's, so the Verge will be 'ridden'. On leaving the shop the bike felt very different, the 023 was knackered, but the Shinko felt like it was 'perched' and as I leaned into the first slow corner at Ewan bridge (heading towards the city) it felt almost like it wanted to 'tip in'... May be due to much less 'tyre flex'... Going over the Taka's for a coffee later, so will scrub it in, and possibly get to see it's wet weather handling......

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/016-verge-2x
    Did around 70km's+ on it today. Halfway of the Taka's, Heywards, greys road, Wellington, then home.
    The Verge has a 'steeper profile than the 023, so yes it feels like it was 'tipping in' on first ride. Will see how the Shinko wears compared to the 'flatter' profile 023. Didnt push it, was riding speed limit and a bit lower as I was with a canam. Once I'd adjusted for the different profile, found the tyre was fine for handling. I did 'give it a little' on the way back down the Taka's on a couple of corners, the Shinko gave me no concern for predictability or grip. Rode home on a wet road, Welly to Hutt, tyre felt fine...

So first impression on 'gentle riding' seems good.

UPDATE:
    put another 300k+ on it yesterday, (Sunday) including wet riding.
    Rode the backroad from Martinboro' to the Gladdy, then looped round back to Carterton, and over the Taka's again.
    Was on the same pace as usual, (100kph and a bit) and only around 1cm of chicken strip left. So dry grip seemed easily comparable to the BT023, but with the 'sportier profile' the bike did tip in easier.
    It did take a bit more time to reach a good temperature (by feel), but not sure if that is only due to the harder middle compound, or if the softer compound would give it's full grip without? Typical of Shinko's, it spun up on bald tar patches under throttle (main highway Carterton to Featherston) but then if you are riding balls out in the wet??? I would guess if ridden with this trait in mind for wet/slippery roads you should have no drama's. Will be interested in how it performs after 4-5k is put on it. On average, got around 8-9k out of the 023's.

So far I am satisfied with the Verge's performance....
    Last edited by GrayWolf; 17th March 2014 at 19:35. Reason: added information
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Thread Information