Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shinko tyres?

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    shinkos are good for the money you pay for them, we have sold them to a wide range of different bikes and they seem to last well, and the owners have been happy,

if you are after all out perfromance look at something else, but for a economy sports touring tire they are pretty good value for money

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Shinko's are a great tyre. Warm they stick like shit to a blanket and cold they are a shit load of fun (anyone who say's else doesn't have the skill).
    When you get used to them they are surprisingly predictable. My thou was great for kicking the back out - what a hoot.
    They also offer great value for money.

Shinko's would have to be the best wet weather tyre I have used.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    if you are after all out perfromance look at something else, but for a economy sports touring tire they are pretty good value for money
    When warm, I would argue they are better than Bridge-stones and Pirellis.
    You can quote me on that if you wish.
    -Stew
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    shinkos are good for the money you pay for them, we have sold them to a wide range of different bikes and they seem to last well, and the owners have been happy,

+1

Got a R009RR on the rear & a Advance 005 on the front of the GS. The rear has just clocked up 14500kms.... hasn't had an easy life but it's survived well, not totally predictable when it decides to break loose but controlable all the same. haven't had any issues in the wet with it but if you push hard in the wet you need your head read anyhow.
    The front tyre isn't that confidence inspiring though and feels a bit vague without a lot of feedback.... think due to the fact the chevrons run the opposite direction to the majority of front tyre patterns

Bike
    2009 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    +1

. haven't had any issues in the wet with it but if you push hard in the wet you need your head read anyhow.
    The front tyre isn't that confidence inspiring though and feels a bit vague without a lot of feedback.... think due to the fact the chevrons run the opposite direction to the majority of front tyre patterns
    Yeah, I'm with you on the wet thing !

As far as feel and confidence go, that's what you get with a quality tyre, not with the bottom of the price range - simple and inarguable.

Bike
    Sold
    I am running Shinko tyres on my Tiger, a few new brand teething problems but so far they are proving great value!

Bike
    Out of control Firestorm
    They're crap tyres for road bikes. Have one my front wheel on the VTR and can say the grip on rough road is poor and they also take long to warm up.
    As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death
    Γύρος στη νίκη

Bike
    RF900
    you realy need to get out more dude
    Huh?..............

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    They're crap tyres for road bikes. Have one my front wheel on the VTR and can say the grip on rough road is poor and they also take long to warm up.
    If your running mismatched rubber on any bike,it will handle like shiteThe fact it was on a VTR only enhances the problem

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    The only person I've ever heard rate shitko tyres is the guy in Bikerider magazine (every month). Infact his tread never seems to wear in the ad from month to month (which must mean no grip).

Don't go cheap on tyres. It won't help your confidence and could lead to a bin which good tyres and confidence might save you from. A bin = much more costly than $200 extra on quality rubbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    2004 Hyosung GT250
    The more expensive Shinkos are great for drags, but like the rest of the line, rubbish in the wet (in the traditional "Sliding is bad" sense).
    They just haven't advanced in compounds as much as the other brands, but are reasonable when used right. Make sure to heat them thoroughly before taking corners at any sort of lean, and they take a while to heat. Be prepared to slide in the wet, controlling it isn't an issue it happens that much.
    I know mismatching tyres is devil talk but if you have a nice expensive sticky in wet and dry type front, slapping a Shinko on the rear will yeild very fun results, at a low cost.

As long as you don't stack, of course.

Bike
    orange, light, loud: all i need
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kermitt View Post
    ive seen some good deals on this brand but dont know anything bout them, has anyone had any good/bad experiences with this brand?
    Kermit: there's nothing like trying something yourself.

I'd read all about people's opinion of Shinkos but in fact it seemed very few had actually tried them. I used to race Yokohamas in the distant past and won a lot of club races on em plus a few good finishes in bigger events. Shinko took over from Yokohama so they started where Yoko left off.
    That being the case I discarded the unauthoritative opinion and put a set on my BMW F800S. I put on the 'touring' version as the Beemer is my two up/distance bike.

The first thing you'd notice is that the rear profile is strange. The front seems OK but the rear has an odd flattened out profile but with a nice curve at the edges. It makes them slow steering and they need a bit of effort to get leaned over.
    After a while I understood what this was all about: where other brands go for multi compounds, the Shinko touring rear just puts a bigger strip of rubber on the ground when the bike is vertical or not leaned too far: that gives it reasonable wear characteristics.
    I took the bike out with a few of my harder charging friends and, after I'd sorted out the right tyre pressures for the day, the bike and my riding style, I started getting into the swing of them.
    I'm not gonna tell you they are the sportiest, stickiest tyres you can buy because they're not: they are touring tyres. However, I was more than surprised at their grip and rideability.
    In the end I'd probably see what deals I can get on multi compound tyres next time but the Shinkos are actually as good as many name brand touring tyres out there. They were good in the wet, dry and handled well with good feel. It's just that I prefer sport tyres.

The only minus really was that when the rear tyre WAS worn out, it went 'off' very quickly and I'd never try to take one past it's wear limits or to near canvas as I have with Metzlers, Pirellis etc.

If you are not thinking about playing Casey Stoner on the bike; these tyres are very good value for money and if the sport version is as good as these are; I might be tempted to try those teardrop Shinkos next time.

Bike
    Too many to count
    now I can't speak for heavy bikes, but if it's a small machine and you want something reliable in an emergency albeit at higher cost-per-km, don't buy the shinko and save instead on the repair bill.

same for kendas.

and anything else made of nylon.

this includes those "cheng shing" things on my little h100 - they're the factory tyres from 1986 and still warrantable after 35000km, but are shit even when dry (but that might be due to age)

Bike
    srx600 x2, srx400,88 ntv600 & rc34 naked
    thanks guys i guess on my budget ill have to give em a try and if they aint that good theyl be an trademe soon.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Just doing a trip down the Island on my WeeStrom - on Shinko E705's - and noticed a few cracks starting to develop under the treads . Should I be worried? Anybody else had this problem with the E705s?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0340[1].JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	724.9 KB 
ID:	153990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0341[1].jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	271.1 KB 
ID:	153991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0342[1].jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	277.1 KB 
ID:	153992  

Thread Information