Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shinko tyres?

Bike
    1994 honda vfr750
    i guess every one to their own i run shiko's 005 rate them very well yes they are a hard compound take a lil warming up get fantastic milage out of them i dont muck about wet or dry never felt like they arent doing the job, there is probally better but for the price good . just my option ask insanty rules how i ride lol

and the milage i got from the vfr 17thu on front 15 thu on rear
    bike for sale must sell quick http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=290155086
    for all tattoo needs call nat at FRESH INK TATTOO STUDIO 027-2959882 or freshink@hotmail.co.nz also on face-book with most pictutes, In upper hutt very competive pricing mention your a kb'er for discount

Bike
    1994 honda vfr750
    thers also many threads on here and vfrd.com about shinko's i like em so i use em the saying go's different strokes for different fokes,
    bike for sale must sell quick http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=290155086
    for all tattoo needs call nat at FRESH INK TATTOO STUDIO 027-2959882 or freshink@hotmail.co.nz also on face-book with most pictutes, In upper hutt very competive pricing mention your a kb'er for discount

Bike
    RF900
    Up front I have not ridden on Shinko's but have considered them.
    My 5c worth (now that copper isn't currency), is that like many things, is that you get what you pay for, but to moderate that you do not buy supersport tyres for commuting. I have read about guys in the GSX-R/R1/R6 brigade bad mouthing then & tourers that love them. Decide what you need them for & what you can afford and go from there, but don't expect ultimate traction & ultimate mileage on a budget price.
    Personally I live on the front end feel for confidence I have gone for Conti Sport Attack front & Road Attack rear & love them , I am hoping they wear out about the same, these were $550 fitted.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    Just doing a trip down the Island on my WeeStrom - on Shinko E705's - and noticed a few cracks starting to develop under the treads . Should I be worried? Anybody else had this problem with the E705s?
    Should you be worried?

Yes you should, what pressures are you running in your tyres?

How many km have you done on them?

You should be covered for replacement by the importer, if it has gone too far!

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    Should you be worried?

Yes you should, what pressures are you running in your tyres?

How many km have you done on them?

You should be covered for replacement by the importer, if it has gone too far!
    I bought the bike with the Shinkos on it, and either didn't notice the cracks (they are just at one part of the tyre) or they have developed in the last 2000km since I've had the bike. The pressures seem okay - about 33. Looking at other forums it seems like there is a fault with these that Shinko will fix, but no idea where the previous owner bought them. In the meantime I'm just keeping speed down a bit and not riding hard - heading up to Auckland today so may pop in to Cycletreads and see if they can help me.

I'm really not impressed my the feel of the front tyre in particular - it's as if you're wearing a gumboot - reliable but not much feedback from the road which doesn't make for confident riding.

Bike
    Sold
    I bought the bike with the Shinkos on it, and either didn't notice the cracks (they are just at one part of the tyre) or they have developed in the last 2000km since I've had the bike. The pressures seem okay - about 33. Looking at other forums it seems like there is a fault with these that Shinko will fix, but no idea where the previous owner bought them. In the meantime I'm just keeping speed down a bit and not riding hard - heading up to Auckland today so may pop in to Cycletreads and see if they can help me.

I'm really not impressed my the feel of the front tyre in particular - it's as if you're wearing a gumboot - reliable but not much feedback from the road which doesn't make for confident riding.
    Have a look here for some interesting stuff on your Shinko's! http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post11586075

I will give you the local importer's contact details if you want them PM me.

Bike
    Too many to count
    Have a look here for some interesting stuff on your Shinko's! http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post11586075
    apart from the obvious handling questions of running that profile tyre, does that rider realise that if he actually rides on gravel (and judging by the bash plate and tyres he at least like to think he might) his modifications mean he's liable to put a rock through his rocker cover and there's now nothing to stop stones from other vehicles chipping the chrome on his forks?

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbyclist View Post
    apart from the obvious handling questions of running that profile tyre, does that rider realise that if he actually rides on gravel (and judging by the bash plate and tyres he at least like to think he might) his modifications mean he's liable to put a rock through his rocker cover and there's now nothing to stop stones from other vehicles chipping the chrome on his forks?

True!

There are a few others on there who have done something similar but I think he has got his front one on back to front for braking grip and grip clearing!

He did say he was now able to put the mudflap back on to protect his engine!

He doesn't appear to have done much gravel or off road riding so whatever he encounters will be all new to him, will he know any difference!

You go gravel you expect stone bruises here and there, better on the bike than on your bum!

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

I will give you the local importer's contact details if you want them PM me.
    I phoned Road & Sport in Hamilton yesterday while I was on the road coming up from Opotiki as they are listed as Shinko dealers. They phoned the distributors who said that this has been an issue on some of these tyres but it was just cosmetic and not dangerous . So I kept going and it hasn't got any worse so i guess I'll just keep using them till they wear out. They're not ideal for road use but they are supposed to be 25/75% offroad/onroad so I guess that's what you would expect.

Bike
    Big red
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    like all things in life, things that are cheap are shit!
    You got that right. I'm just not prepared to put cheap tyres on a motorbike.

Bike
    2012 Victory Vegas Zach Ness
    Hi CRM. It is my view that your tire is showing a fault called delamination. It is misleading & not correct to state that it is just cosmetic. It can progress and get worse leading to total failure of the tire. I worked in the Tire industry for a number of years. Get the issue sorted quickly, it is not safe.

Bike
    None at present
    Stinkos are the stock tyres on the Hyo GT250Rs.

Horrible tyres, half plastic.

Must be gotten rid of at once.
    What you have in your heart will be revealed through what you have in your life.

If things are going badly in our circumstances, the answer to what is happening to us outwardly is more often than not found in the mirror.

Bike
    Suzuki RG400 Yamaha ST125 Yamaha TDR250
    Blog Entries
    Just doing a trip down the Island on my WeeStrom - on Shinko E705's - and noticed a few cracks starting to develop under the treads . Should I be worried? Anybody else had this problem with the E705s?
    maybe there is a reason Suzuki specify Radials,and the Shinko you fitted just happens to not be?

yez gets whats yez pays for.
    "more than two strokes is masturbation"
    www.motoparts-online.com

Bike
    2010 CB 1000 R, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    Blog Entries
    My brother has Shinko's on his Trophy 1200, daily commuter and weekend tourer is the prupose

While he didnt get the super cheap version he didnt get the top one either, but seems to have a good tread, slightly harder compound than I myself prefer, but hell he gets around, never lets go, rides every day any weather

I run Pilot Sports on my ST4 and Pilot Roads on my GSXR with road2 version on back (hard center strip)

Moving to Conti Sports on next set for ST tho

Each to thier own, my brother cant see why I spend 3x the cost of his entire setup on each of my front tyres, but thats why we are bikers isnt it? Individuality

Just ride.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kermitt View Post
    ive seen some good deals on this brand but dont know anything bout them, has anyone had any good/bad experiences with this brand?
    Shinko as far as I know, was known as Yokohama. I had one fitted to the rear of my CBF 250F about 4000 ks ago and thought at the time, it diid not have a lot of tread depth. It has stuck to the road like shit to a blanket. Even in the wet. This week I am replacing it as the tread is worn down across the centre. Plenty of meat on the sides but the centre is where the tyre does its gripping under brakes. Am really disappointed in the wear rate but for grip it has been great. The 250 is only a light single and I'm not aggressive at all so the mileage has been disappointing.

A foot note; Have been told that I may well have been sold a fairly new partly used tyre ,scrubbed up and looking like new. Not sure but that would explain the low tread depth and short life. Apparently some Hyosung 250 owners would upgrade the originals before wearing them out. The dealer who sold it said that new tyres these days dont come with a deep tread depth when I queried this. I should've looked a bit harder.
    A friend wanted a 16" front for his FJ 1200 and a Shinko was the only brand he could locate.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Thread Information