Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shinko tyres?

Bike
    Suzuki GSXR1100 96
    Personally I get the best tyre for the type of riding I do alot of, a bit of touring and some fast weekend riding on the tukkas. Whatever you do dont settle for the cheapest the most important thing on a bike between you and the road is the rubber on your rims! It has to suit your riding style and the type of bike your'e riding. Spend the extra hundred and get some quality you wont regret it!
    NEVER LET THE TRUTH GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD STORY!

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsnbikes View Post
    If your running mismatched rubber on any bike,it will handle like shite:
    Not entirely true. I have had some truely great combo's.
    ZXR400 ran lurvely on battleaxe front with pirelli rear. hell of a lot better than if i had the same tyre on both.
    98 955i was nice with pirrelli front and battleaxe rear.
    05 955i is lower and sportier and was nice with avon rear with battleaxe front.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    2005,Suzuki GSXR1000
    Blog Entries
    You can get a lot better tyres foir very little more

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffc View Post
    Hi CRM. It is my view that your tire is showing a fault called delamination. It is misleading & not correct to state that it is just cosmetic. It can progress and get worse leading to total failure of the tire. I worked in the Tire industry for a number of years. Get the issue sorted quickly, it is not safe.
    Seems you are very correct and Shinko will not be getting any of my business...

I did a trip last week to Cambridge (from Whangarei) - a fair bit of open road reasonable speed stuff and I start hearing this sound like a flapping piece of material. I stop and check and everthing looks fine so I turn up the iPod and keep going. When I get home this is what I find...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1220002.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	193482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1220004.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	748.6 KB 
ID:	193483

So if they tell you it's just cosmetic show them these pics. Fortunately the tyres are not that confidence inspiring anyway so I wasn't pushing it. I'm thinking Michelin Anakees...

Bike
    Various things
    Nothing wrong with them! The motard slicks are good enough to win on too.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    Not entirely true. I have had some truely great combo's..
    There are problems with that though. What if you find out real sudden like that your combo isn't any good?
    Even if you find out in non-dramatic fashion that the combo isn't great, you now have to buy yet another tyre.

I was just reading recently that the biggest difference between tyres is carcase design. There's nothing about that on the sidewall, that only leaves guesswork. Good luck!

Tyres are just too expensive and important to take chances. I'd rather have better tyres than I need than need better tyres than I have got.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Tyres are just too expensive and important to take chances.
    I reckon tyres are really cheap. Compared to fairing panels and loss of limb/life!

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Two very different points of view that really amount to the same thing......

Tyres - Not worth mucking around with experiments.....

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

Tyres are just too expensive and important to take chances. I'd rather have better tyres than I need than need better tyres than I have got.
    Cant fault that logic....
    The Heart is the drum keeping time for everyone....

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    Seems you are very correct and Shinko will not be getting any of my business...

I did a trip last week to Cambridge (from Whangarei) - a fair bit of open road reasonable speed stuff and I start hearing this sound like a flapping piece of material. I stop and check and everthing looks fine so I turn up the iPod and keep going. When I get home this is what I find...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1220002.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	193482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1220004.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	748.6 KB 
ID:	193483

So if they tell you it's just cosmetic show them these pics. Fortunately the tyres are not that confidence inspiring anyway so I wasn't pushing it. I'm thinking Michelin Anakees...
    Just an update... I sent the tyre to Whites (the Wholesalers) and they have kindly agreed that it was faulty and are sending through a new replacement. So big ups to them .

I've got new Michelin Anakee 2's on it and just done a trip to Hamilton and back and they are superb (but twice the price of Shinko's ).

So if anyone wants to buy a set of Shinko's for a V-Strom (new rear and near-new front) give me a holler

Bike
    1992, Yamaha FJ1200
    I have a Shinko on the back of my Yamaha FJ1200. With me on it and a full tank I'm pushing 370kg, and the Shinko hasn't given me any grief. Good grip wet or dry, and I can lay her over and scrape the centre stand without worrying about it. I'd buy another. :-)

Bike
    Sold

Talking

My rear Shinko 705 has finally bit the dust at 3323 miles, the de lamination has finally failed me a warrant!

The importers Whites and Shinko have acknowledged that there is a problem with these tyres on the big venture bikes!

Shinko are developing a new tyre to suit the weight and power of the big bikes on which they will keep me posted, so I will keep KB posted. (and vice versa I hope)

Apart from the rear tyre delamination, I found everything else about the 705 to be just what I want for my bike and am really sorry to have to replace it.

I will put either a Tourance or a Anakee (whatever is available) to replace it and leave the front 705 on until I find out how they run together! Here's hoping they go well!

I don't rate either of the above tyres as much as Pirelli scorpion ST's but all of them are way over priced for what they are anyway. IMHO.

I have to say I have found both Whites and Shinko to be extremely helpful and customer focused at all times and I look forward to dealing with them again, soon!

Bike
    2010 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

Delamination on Shinko rear tyre

I have just had a rear tyre issue where 5 of the tread blocks have delaminated from the casing. The bike started shaking around - no wonder. It was fitted in Dunedin when there was no other stock - never again - will stick to Anakees or Tourances for V-Stroms. The tyre was fitted to a DL1000 V-Strom, and less than half worn.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannockbiker View Post
    I have just had a rear tyre issue where 5 of the tread blocks have delaminated from the casing. The bike started shaking around - no wonder. It was fitted in Dunedin when there was no other stock - never again - will stick to Anakees or Tourances for V-Stroms. The tyre was fitted to a DL1000 V-Strom, and less than half worn.
    It was a bias ply one wasn't it.
    Shinko are replacing them with radials for no charge.

The radials have not had any such issues.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    So Shinko means Shit?

Thread Information