Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who really does 70 on learners?

Bike
    Legless
    I always have mine displayed, but I don't necessarily stick to 70 all the time. Depends on road condition/traffic. Not justifying breaking the rule, just saying.

Bike
    2007 GSX1000R
    I told my kids not to do 70 on the open road - I feel it is more dangerous to have vehicles, esp trucks pass you than to stay with the traffic.

But the law is law.......

Bike
    2008 Suzuki V Strom DL 1000
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone ever thought that the law is framed that way (max speed 70km/h) to discourage learners from going on the open road/motorways.

Perhaps the idea is that until you get your restricted you should be staying around town and building up your skill level, and not being over confident.

Bike
    None at the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiPhoenix View Post
    I am also on my learners and I have my "L" plate displayed, I've only bent it over one time.
    Hmm...that sounds SOOO rude

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
    I told my kids not to do 70 on the open road - I feel it is more dangerous to have vehicles, esp trucks pass you than to stay with the traffic.

But the law is law.......
    I would be inclined top agree you with that......

I did 200kmh on my learners once....no make that twice...once in ashvegas on an NSR250, and just 2 weeks ago on my 750

Hope no cops read this...and Scummy, ya dont know me aye!

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red mermaid View Post
    Has anyone ever thought that the law is framed that way (max speed 70km/h) to discourage learners from going on the open road/motorways.

Perhaps the idea is that until you get your restricted you should be staying around town and building up your skill level, and not being over confident.
    I think a lot of this is to do with the development of a 15 year old's brain, especially with regard to their tunnel vision in times of crisis.

Reading the 2020 road strategy submission, I would say it is highly likely that the learner age for will be raised to 17.
    If that happens then there would be more grounds for removing the 70km/h restriction.

Bike
    99 Suzie,05 R6.

Yeah it certainly seems that way,I have travelled on the motorway several times,and it's actually really dangerous,you are in fact getting in the way of cages,so I avoid the motorways and only go on them if I have too.

But i don't see the point of the rule,it might apply to a learner that is around 15 years old,but I'm a lot older than that.

But still I don't exceed the 70km rule,unless it's dangerous to travel at that speed...

Bike
    Aprilia Shiver 750, Suzuki RG150E
    I did 70km/h down the motorway all the way from Wellington to the Sandbar for the Toy Run, while riding my Guzzi !!
    Oh BTW my mate had his L-Plated 250 that I was riding alongside with
    We kept to the law, no reason why it should be broken while learning.

"...you meet the weirdest people riding a Guzzi !!..."

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSXR-750
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
    Completely agree with this. I have never had an L on my bike - I don't own an L. Have been stopped a could of times - once for splitting, once for something else and neither of the cops have said anything about it.

In saying that if I do get a $400 fine which I am well aware of the possibility of, I am not going to bitch and complain about it because thats the risk I take.

I ride from East Auckland to Northshore everyday for work so not a very good idea to stick at 70 the whole way I think

Bike
    K-mart pedal power
    I only used my L plate for the first 2 weeks, and when I took my restricted test. Generally avoided riding out of town on my learners, but stuck to 100km when I did as I wasn't too keen on riding at 70km with cars/trucks following two feet from my arse & overtaking etc.

Was stopped once on my restricted with a passenger, cop just told my mate to get off & told me to go home.

Bike
    07 Yamaha Scorpio
    i've been on my L plate for about 2 months now. I have it on when I'm just commuting in the city but take it off when I'm going any further. Never limited myself to 70ks. Normally about 110 like everybody else on the motorways etc. no worries!

Bike
    Thumpapotamus
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I plan to when I finaly get my bike, but who on their Ls goes that speed? Or even puts their plates up? Anyone ever got a ticket for not doing so?
    I do 70 all the time usually in 50 zones lol
    But seriously I take the approach that cops are not interested in you if
    a. Your not speeding.
    b. Your not being a dick.
    c. You are look like you spent some $$$ on Riding gear - Helmet, gloves, boots, jacket and pants.
    d. Your not being too loud.
    e. Your bike is tidy.

Yes I have had the No L plate ticket but in all fairness I only got pulled over because I was goin a bit fast. cop gave me L plate fine in leu of the extra 40k/hr he didnt put in the speeding ticket so I could keep my licence after 28 day suspension.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki V Strom DL 1000
    Blog Entries
    By the way, the fine for not having your 'L' plate up is now $100, with no demerits.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    I always travel at 70.
    You're missing a '0' there mate.

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana_Jones View Post
    You're missing a '0' there mate.

-Indy
    oh are you talking kph? i was in miles.
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    99 Suzie,05 R6.
    By the way, the fine for not having your 'L' plate up is now $100, with no demerits.

Did they recently change it? I checked last week and it was still $400 and 25 demerits.

Thread Information